Hunger Games Movie Trailer Emerges

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hunger Games Movie Trailer Emerges

The trailer for the upcoming film adaptation of Suzanne Collins' dystopian teeny-bopper epic The Hunger Games features lots of trees. Oh, and a girl with a bow, but mostly trees.

The Hunger Games, the first installment in Collin's Hunger Games Trilogy, is a surprisingly hard-hitting science fiction thriller, in which a fascist post-apocalyptic government makes children murder each other on live television for the amusement of adults everywhere. It's essentially Battle Royale with a little bit more romance, class warfare and some keen observations on the nature of celebrity.

In this new trailer, we get our first glimpse of young actress Jennifer Lawrence as grumpy heroine Katniss Everdeen, and there's a little bit of narration from [del]a character I assume is baker-cum-hero Peeta, as played by Josh Hutcherson[/del] Gale, played by Liam Hemsworth. We also, as you may have guessed, get to see a lot of trees.

While I haven't seen enough of Lawrence or Hutcherson's work to judge how they'll fare playing the books', occasionally quite complex, protagonists, the rest of the film's casting seems perfect. Woody Harrelson is making an appearance as former games-winner and traumatized drunk, Haymitch Abernathy. Donald Sutherland will be playing the unnerving President Snow and someone - some beautiful person - cast Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, Katniss' sexually ambiguous fashion stylist and confidant.

While I would have liked to have seen some footage that does't involve greenery, particularly I was hoping to see Katniss' "Girl On fire" outfit, which I suspect will be particularly difficult for the costume department, the trailer has inspired in a me a kind of quiet optimism I'm not used to.. As long as the film doesn't scrimp on the book's brutal, but effective, servings of violence, then this might just work.

The Hunger Games is being directed by Gary Ross and is tentatively scheduled to hit theaters on March 23rd of next year.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Not that excited. I'm just going to say this, upfront.

[HEADING=3]THE BOOKS WERE BETTER.[/HEADING]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I am cautious... They want it to be pg-13... But the book is clearly rated R or above...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
So THESE are what the hunger games are!
Someone mentioned them on a youtube comment of a video i watch frequently, it got highest rated.

Anyway... the film looks... average, not amazing but not horribley awful at the same time, trust me, i watch A LOT of films.
(everyone hopes for me to screw up)
Luckily it's early footage so i can always retract my statement! :p

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
I am cautious... They want it to be pg-13... But the book is clearly rated R or above...
YES! Thank you! If this gets a PG-13 rating then they are just bullshitting us!

JSF16

Jul 8, 2011
The Inkheart movie pretty much shattered my confidence in book-to-film adaptations, especially since it was rated PG.

I'll probably approach the Hunger Games movie like I'm approaching an armed mine, ready to bail and cry the moment it goes belly up.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
The trailer struck me as looking... cheap. I don't know why. Maybe they had to make it quickly in order to show it with the VMAs last week. Or maybe the movie really will look that cheap. The only thing I know for sure about the movie is that Jennifer Lawrence will be really good (she's a really good actress and is quite enthusiastic about this role. Everything else is a crapshoot.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm.....not sure about this movie. I loved the books, but I'm nervous about them making a book that's really really dark and gory into a movie that looks like it's gunning for a PG-13 rating. I really hope that's not the case.

I'll be silently wishing this will turn out fine.

Oct 30, 2010
Weirdly, I've been seeing references to these books all over the place today, for the first time. Worth reading?

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
So, just how close to Battle Royale is it? Are we talking 'Holy shit, the author did nothing with the idea and just made a few minor tweaks' or 'The author gave their own interpretation of the idea and added some new elements, as well as a different cast of characters and whatnot'?

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Grey, that is Gale Hawthorne, played by Liam Hemsworth narrating. Just to let you know.

Also, I am extremely excited about the movie, seeing as how they are actually getting the lines right. That line is something Gale says to her before she leaves for the Hunger Games. I think I was hoping to see a glimpse of the other contestants more.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
ciancon said:
Yeah....i prefer the manga.
There's a manga of the book??? PLEASE TELL THE FLAME MASTER!!!!!

OT: Not sure about the movie but if my sister reads and likes the book, then I guess I'll watch it too. However, if it is PG-13, I'm not watching it. I've heard that the book goes into some dark areas so it should be rated R.

Besides, the book is always better than the movie(usually).

PhxGwen

Sep 7, 2011
Besides it being kids killing each other and a totalitarian society.. slight. THG is set in a future North America where all that is left is a luxurious Capitol surrounded by districts who are used by the capitol to provide them with comforts (coal, seafood, grain, etc). The people in the districts are not allowed to leave their district and must live off of meager rations and work for the benefit of the capitol. They are kept weak and near starvation. As an annual punishment of the districts for a long ago rebellion every year a lottery is held from the children of each district ages 12 thru 18. One girl and one boy is chosen to participate in the Hunger Games. 24 children total. Only one child can win and if they do then food and gifts are given to their district for a certain period of time and the winner and their family are given food and luxuries for life. The Hunger Games is televised and is held every year in a different environment (snow, water, forest, desert.. etc) and the arena is quite large (mile and miles wide). You are released near a giant cornucopia filled with weapons, food, and supplies. This is where the most deaths occur though so unless you are particularly brave or talented you should just run away and hide. The arena is controlled by the gamemakers. The contestants known as tributes must figure out how to survive against the other contestants, the environment of the arena and if things get boring (no kills for a while.. the Capitol doesn't want viewer to be bored) the gamemakers can manipulate the arena (change the weather, burn parts of it down, release dangerous mutated creatures to attack and kill with the purpose to entertain or drive the tributes toward one another). In addition the tributes have a lead up to the games ( parades, interviews, etc.) where they attempt to present themselves to the audience and win sponsors for the games.. a sponsor is important since they are able to send "gifts" to their favorite tribute during the game at crucial times of need(like medicine, food, water). The items become more expensive as the game goes on so you need a lot of sponsors. See. similar in premise but not in detail.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
4173 said:
Weirdly, I've been seeing references to these books all over the place today, for the first time. Worth reading?
It's a really good series, and I highly recommend it. Might as well do this for reference, but other books I liked are The Girl
with the Dragon Tattoo, Trainspotting, The Stand, and The Dark Tower series.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I typically like to reserve judgement but I'm just gonna outright assume this one is gonna be bad.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I'm hesitant to accuse someone of ripping off a different series, but that sounds exactly like Battle Royale with a few aesthetic differences. I hope that's not true. Either way, the trailer didn't look that interesting, but you have got me intrigued by the books. I may just have to check them out, though I doubt they'll be as gripping or intense as BR was.