Hunting for the Perfect Game for Us

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
To make a long story short, I am looking for a multiplayer game for my girlfriend and me.

I needs to be on Steam, as the reason for this is that we are both in college, and only see each other when school is in session (I am studying abroad next semester, so we want to find something we can do together, apart).

She is a casual gamer, but likes adventure games like Skyrim and Minecraft (which is currently out of the question). She doesn't care for gore or horror. SHE USES A MAC, too.

I like just about everything, so long is wasn't made for a kid. I tend to stray away from Nintendo games (they are good games, just not for me). I like L4D, strategy games, and anything cooperative. We were originally planning on playing Age of Empires together, but to find a copy for her MAC was impossible, if we didn't want to spend a small fortune.

So here's the request: Help me find a game that...
- Has multiplayer capability
- Is compatible with both Macs and PCs
- Is not a horror/gore game
- Not too easy, not too complex
- Isn't Minecraft.
- If possible, is on Steam

I would appreciate the help!

Aug 19, 2010
Brown Cap said:
not too complex
So not Hearts of Iron III, then :D

Well, I'd suggest either strategy games or possibly isometric aRPGs. Torchlight 2 might work well.
If you're looking for something more casual go for Greed Corp, a fun little turn based strategy game.
While it's neither gore nor horror, I hesitantly suggest the new Alien Breed trilogy. Try the first one and if it works out well then there's still two more.
Maybe if she's more adventurous, you could try out Lord of the Rings : War in the North.

Hopefully this helped!

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
Pohaturon said:
Brown Cap said:
not too complex
So not Hearts of Iron III, then :D
I actually just bought that yesterday. Damn it's hard to make money.
Love those kinds of games, but they would probably overwhelm her.
I will definitely look into those others, though. Thanks!
Unfortunately, Torchlight is not compatible with MACs.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I absolutely love questions like this. I found a list on GiantBomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/cross-platform-multiplayer/3015-4183/games/] covering several cross-platform games, although they're a mix of several platforms. And when you look for Mac/PC games, the list dwindles fast.

*EDIT*
Ah, here we go, courtesy of Steam:
PC/Mac Cross-Platform Multiplayer [http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=mac&category1=998&category2=27]
Wow, even off four pages listed, I've still only played Trine 2 and Pixeljunk Monsters.

I wanted to suggest Saints Row 2-4, but while they're available on both PC and Mac, I don't think they'll work together. It's a shame really, because the co-op in any of those games is just too fun to be believed.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I haven't yet played it, but how about Monaco?

http://monacoismine.com/

Think it's mac-compatible.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Have you considered Rust? Multiplayer survival. Like Minecraft, but more about survival than building. Best played with a couple of people.

Had a couple of other ideas, but they're not mac compatible :/

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Only thing that comes to mind right now is Spiral Knights. It does look a bit "kiddy" graphics wise and it is a little easy to start with, but it does get some teeth in the end-game. It's on Steam and it's F2P to boot.

EDIT: How gory is "too gory?" Borderlands 2 has a Mac version, as does Killing Floor, and both are well worth the money, but they may be a bit too bloody.

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
Portal 2 has some pretty good co-op, but it might be a bit short.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Funny thing you mention Age of Empires, I have been playing RUSE (works on Mac too, its 9,99 on Steam) and its a great WWII strategy game that keeps things rather simple, I would say that its a bit rock paper scissors-like where you basicly need to focus on using the right units against whatever units the enemy is using (knowing what the enemy is planning to do and tricking him is a key element of the game). It was developed with the intentions of working well on consoles (doesnt have that much micro-management) but it works great on all systems and is very fun to play in co-op battles.

I highly recommend it if you are looking for strategy games that manage to be accessible.

It also has a demo

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just throwing this out there (though I admit I have no idea if it passes the compatibility requirement xP) but how about the Civilization games? Those easily fall under the "easy to learn, difficult to master" category and can be quite fun.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Borderlands 2
Portal 2
XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within
Starbound
Awesomenauts

All on Steam, all with multiplayer, all compatible with pc and mac. I know because a mac-using buddy and I have played them together.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Borderlands 2
Portal 2
XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within
Starbound
Awesomenauts

All on Steam, all with multiplayer, all compatible with pc and mac. I know because a mac-using buddy and I have played them together.
XCOM's MP is just PvP isn't it? Not always a good idea when playing with a girlfriend, especially if she's competitive.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
Chimpzy said:
XCOM's MP is just PvP isn't it? Not always a good idea when playing with a girlfriend, especially if she's competitive.
Yes, that's true, there's no coop. I just mentioned it because it's the only strategy title with cross-platform multiplayer that I have personal experience with.

Oh wait, no it isn't. Battle for Wesnoth is cross-platform and has PvE coop. It's not on Steam tho, but it is free, so if the OP and his girlfriend like turn-based strategy, they could give it a spin anytime.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Brown Cap said:
Found it. It was Team Fortress 2. We kick total butt as a Medic/Soldier Duo
Not to sound like a dick but I loled when after so many sugestions you ended up with the most obvious out there option.

I mean, I bet most people didnt mention Team Fortress 2 because we imagined that you already took a look at it.

But yeah, I will still hold my mention (for another time) as its usually an overlooked RTS game that lets you team up against the AI.