Hyper Dragon Ball Z Might Be the DBZ Game Fans Have Been Waiting For

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Hyper Dragon Ball Z Might Be the DBZ Game Fans Have Been Waiting For

Dragon Ball fans who call themselves Team Z2 has created what looks to be the ultimate Dragon Ball Z fighting game using Mugen.

While there's been a ton of Dragon Ball games released throughout the years since the anime hit it big, most of them have, to put it frankly, not given Akira Toriyama's license justice. That time might be coming to an end, though, as fans have crafted a fighting game based on the property called Hyper Dragon Ball Z on the Mugen fighting game engine. Calling themselves "Team Z2," the developers claim, "Our motivation was born from seeing the many official and unofficial games that DBZ has spawned over the last years," and they add, "Gone is the sensation of every character being interchangeable and having the same style of fighting...Instead, we have characters with beautiful animations, cinematic moves, skillful combos, interesting movesets, unique traits and the kind of fanservice that'd make any Dragonball fan smirk. We drew from all sources and we committed to our vision, which we share with you."

Team Z2 makes it clear that "We have in no way association with the DBZ license, we are mere fans. Our purpose is to show what CAN be made with the license. The moving bits of this presentation were made over time, with the effort of many."

Normally, claims like those posted above are exaggerations of what we usually get, but that doesn't seem to be the case for Hyper Dragon Ball Z. Don't believe me? Go watch the gameplay video and prepare for your inner Super Saiyan to jump for joy. The game has air combos that seem to stay true to Dragon Ball Z's style, teleporting/super dashes are part of the repertoire, and of course, massive projectile attacks that highlights just how powerful Dragon Ball's characters are. To date, there are five characters available, with three more being developed as we speak, and more planned in the future. You can keep tabs on the fan-made project's progress by checking the downloading the characters and stages. [https://www.facebook.com/HyperDBZ]

If you like what you've seen, you might consider helping the developers out. "Now, it's your time to help us. Help us get this video go viral. Like and Favourite it but most of all, SHARE it. That one kid you used to watch DBZ episodes with 10 years ago? Share it with him. Your parents, your boss? Link them up. Any friends, family or contacts working at big game companies? Active in fightng game tournaments? Spread the word, share this video. I'm convinced we can do it!," states Team Z2.

Dragon Ball might be one of the hardest licenses to adapt as a fighting game due to character balance, projectile struggles and so on; but Team Z2 seems to be on the right track and if you're a Dragon Ball fan, you might want to give Team Z2 a little shout out in fulfilling your childhood fantasies.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Spiffy. A shame I am not a big fan of anime fighters and combos that last so long that I could go do my taxes in the time it takes to finish one. I understand that spectacle fighters like that are all the rage now though. I shall stick to 3S.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I'm a DBZ fan and I wasn't waiting for this.

Alex Co said:
If you like what you've seen, you might consider helping the developers out. "Now, it's your time to help us. Help us get this video go viral. Like and Favourite it but most of all, SHARE it. That one kid you used to watch DBZ episodes with 10 years ago? Share it with him. Your parents, your boss? Link them up. Any friends, family or contacts working at big game companies? Active in fightng game tournaments? Spread the word, share this video. I'm convinced we can do it!," states Team Z2.
It's like they actually want that C&D.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh. Maybe I'm just not into fighting games that have tourneys in mind. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has always been the epitome of the series for me. "Balance" was hardly a factor in that game, but characters actually seemed to be scaled based on their general power levels in the actual series.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
BanicRhys said:

Alex Co said:
A sequel to Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans is all I am looking for, or a decent length RPG based on a similar system to AotS that goes through to end of Dragon Ball Z

Even if it is stupidly an exclusive game on a Nintendo product, I will but the console just for that.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
Best Vegeta is still TFS. Not that it's saying much, since I think TFS is a step above the rest for every voice except Goku.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
Eh. Maybe I'm just not into fighting games that have tourneys in mind. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has always been the epitome of the series for me. "Balance" was hardly a factor in that game, but characters actually seemed to be scaled based on their general power levels in the actual series.
Never got to play much of the third one, but played the hell out of the first one. First one seemed... cleaner to me, the third one just had all these extra crazy things I had to learn when I was dead set on what I knew! If memory serves, they also changed the control scheme up abit, which really didn't help me lol

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
To be honest, as a DBZ game this is exactly what I always wanted. A DBZ game that looks like it could be actually played in some kind of tournament setting. Or even more so, and if Bandai Namco knows whats good for them, They'll treat it the way capcom treated megaman X streetfighter and support it.

I always welcome a new fighter anyway but it I really like where they're going with this. If they got the go ahead for some crowd funding I'd certainly chip in.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
BanicRhys said:

Alex Co said:
Yep, same. I can see Namco Bandai sending them one if this one gains ground or makes money.

JaceArveduin said:
Mahorfeus said:
Never got to play much of the third one, but played the hell out of the first one. First one seemed... cleaner to me, the third one just had all these extra crazy things I had to learn when I was dead set on what I knew! If memory serves, they also changed the control scheme up abit, which really didn't help me lol
Yep, same. Third one was just too chaotic, I think. My fave one was the Super Famicom and the PS1 title (imported it) where you can fight 2 vs. 3, etc. but the actual fighting was a bit limited. You only had to hit the enemy in order to store power to unleash a character's signature projectile attack...kinda got old after a while but was still fun. :D

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Besides the fact that this has an impending C&D written all over it (Fighting is Magic, anyone?), the gameplay looks far too similar to Street Fighter to be the definitive DBZ game.

DBZ isn't about juggling opponents, doing tornado kicks, and sticking mostly to the ground; but about hyper-speed mobility (where's the teleporting?), flying around in aerial combat, environments getting utterly annihilated, and each attack - even the punches - feeling like they have all the impact of a carpet bombing or nuke.

In other words, MUGEN is the last place one could actually make the ideal DBZ fighting game, and this trailer definitely seems to prove my point. Most of it just looks way too tame to be DBZ.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Right, updated the title since I think some of you don't have the same taste in DBZ fighting games as I do. ;) Nothing wrong with that, really.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I already own the best DBZ fighter and its budokai tenkaichi 3, this one doesn't look that good.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
When it comes to genre fighting games is the bottom for me. It's not that I hate fighting games, but the majority of them are rather boring. Mainly being that when it comes to story there's not much to see. Big bad guy X wants to take over the world and people are coming to fight/stop him. Or it's just a tournament to see who's the best ever.I've played afew, but after beating the AI I rarely have the stomach to battle others.

That being said I've sorta enjoyed the DBZ games. They have a story, one that I actually know alot about, and the action isn't just a inch back and forth fighting mechanic. You flew around the stage tossing energy bolts or suddenly close the gap and release a torrent of punches. Semi-destructable environments and a decent roster made most of the series quite playable. This game while looking very cool, seems a step back. Not bad looking game at all, but no the full DB(Z) experience.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I thought Bodukai Tenkaichi 3 was the DBZ game fans always wanted (at least gameplay wise, it had the overal best controls and effects.)

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
You mean I can finally get that Vegeta dating and sex simulator that I always wanted?
Oh, wait, never mind. Its another fighting game.