Hyper Light Drifter is Getting a Collector's Edition, Complete With SNES Cartridge

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Hyper Light Drifter is Getting a Collector's Edition, Complete With SNES Cartridge

There's a collector's edition for Hyper Light Drifter over at iam8bit, and although it won't play on a Super Nintendo, there's a very pretty SNES cartridge included.

Indie title Hyper Light Drifter from Heart Machine is getting a collector's edition, which includes a cyan SNES cartridge (which is sadly not functional), a digital code (which is functional, so you can actually play the game), a 24-page manual, a world map poster, and a box to store it all in. The code will be available for Steam, Xbox One, or PS4 versions of the game.

The package costs $65, and is expected to release this summer, in order to coincide with the console launch. Until then, you can pre-order it here [http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/hyper-light-drifter/products/hyper-light-drifter-collector-s-edition].

[gallery=6254]

In my review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/16981-Hyper-Light-Drifter-Review#&gid=gallery_6124&pid=1], I gave Hyper Light Drifter 5 stars, writing in part: "Hyper Light Drifter is a breathtaking game that draws heavily from gaming's most prominent pioneers without relying too heavily on their influence. It is an eclectic masterpiece that feels more like an experience than a video game."

[gallery=6255]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It won't play on Super Nintendo? I HONESTLY would've dug out my SN for that, and I don't even know if the game is good yet. The concept of playing a modern Indie game on a console older than I am just tickles me pink. In a good way. Ah well, it probably would've been more than the SN could've handled.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I understand why it won't work on a SNES; the demands of essentially developing the same game again would've been too high. But the cartridge could at least do something, y'know? Make it a storage case for a USB stick with the PC game or something.

P.S. Thanks

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Covarr said:
I understand why it won't work on a SNES; the demands of essentially developing the same game again would've been too high. But the cartridge could at least do something, y'know? Make it a storage case for a USB stick with the PC game or something.

P.S. Thanks
Would be cool if it at least had the OST on it (but I guess a full-on 16-bit version). I think Shovel Knight did something similar.

OT: I will probably get this. The SNES cart is sweet and I wouldn't mind playing it again on PS4.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Is it just me or does anyone else think it's depressing that the content of this collectors edition is essentially what would have been in pretty much any normal edition of a random game one or two decades ago?
Well except the special cartridge, but I would put that as an equivalent of a physical copy of the game.

The manual looks really good, the cartridge should have included a small usb stick with the game on it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Soooo... It comes with a piece of plastic?

Don't get me wrong, I hear the game is great and I totally understand that re-making the game for a twenty-odd year old system just so collectors can get a extra-nifty tchoctchke was never really on the table.

And I came of age in an era of game boxes stuffed with cloth maps and glow-in-the-dark magic stones and custom pewter figurines, and while I generally think extra stuff is wasteful, my inner child still finds it all kind of cool.

And yet... it's a piece of plastic. It's not even something like a poster you can hang on a wall or a bust or figurine you put on a bookshelf to highlight your geekiness. What do you do with that when the novelty wears off?

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Covarr said:
I understand why it won't work on a SNES; the demands of essentially developing the same game again would've been too high.
Indeed. SNES games actually ran at 60fps :p

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Callate said:
And yet... it's a piece of plastic. It's not even something like a poster you can hang on a wall or a bust or figurine you put on a bookshelf to highlight your geekiness. What do you do with that when the novelty wears off?
That's honestly my thoughts as well, I mean, anyone that ever tried to line their cartridges up as a kid can tell you how fucking easy it is to knock them down, so you can't even stick it on your shelf without some kind of special display, and even then, I think I'd rather have even something that's actually rare nowadays like one of my actual playable cartridges. Even if my SNES died years ago and don't think I ever got around to opening up the NES/SNES/N64 gray market console I got as a teenager.

I mean, even the map that came with Skyrim can be laminated and hung up and honestly looks really nice and the N7 patch with ME3 can be put on some kind of costume, but this sorta just seems like a really cheap figurine than an actual collectible.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err shouldn't this be one of the kickstarter rewards that is if Heartmachine had thought of it first?

Still it's pretty neat and while I would like to buy it but that site is US (UK here unless it convert the currency) and I only got pc. I would order the ps4 and give the game to my bro while I keep the rest (or Steam again for me mate).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
How cute.

Wait, that sounded sarcastic, sorry. Lemme try again...

How cute.

Oh, this is the internet, isn't it? Right, third time's a charm...

How cute!!

Nailed it.

Anyway, does it open? Does it store the game? Or...something? I have a friend who hates turquoise with a passion, so i might get it for them if they're still alive and my friend. It isn't too much of an insulting price. Imagine what they had to kill to get that turquoise...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Provided I can get a pc version of the game with that snes cartridge, count me in. Hyper Light Drifter shot very high up on my wish list when I discovered. That little bit of cyan nostalgia is just icing on the cake.

I don't care that the cartridge doesn't work at all: I emulate all of my older games these days so the cartridges all just sit on a display anyways.

Apr 25, 2009
I'm just waiting for the art book. I hope I can snag one. That manual looks great though.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
So what's the point of the cartridge then? SNES catridges aren't exactly things you want to display on a shelf, unless it's of a game that's special to you, but this is just an empty cartridge. It would have made more sense had it been a storage case for a USB stick containing the actual game.