Hyrule: Total War Trailer Kills Zelda and Link

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Hyrule: Total War Trailer Kills Zelda and Link

Parallel Process has released version 3.0 of its Hyrule: Total War mod along with a new trailer that shows off its bloodier take on The Legend of Zelda.

The Legend of Zelda series arguably runs on the presumption that most people aren't going to question why, with the fate of the world at stake, the forces of destiny would pick only one guy to be in charge of vanquishing evil. It's not like there's nobody else in the kingdom, after all. In Ocarina of Time there's a bunch of guards who spend their days just walking oddly planned patrols around the perimeter of Hyrule Castle. Why can't they help? Why is it always Link, even when he's just a child, left to do the dirty work?

Parallel Process's <a href=http://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war>Hyrule: Total War tosses the lone warrior concept out the window and instead focuses on a Hyrule torn apart by bloody and brutal warfare. A total conversion mod for Medieval 2: Total War, it puts players in control of one of the races or kingdoms of Hyrule and sets them to the task of conquering the fantasy land. Just recently, the mod saw the release of its third version, which, among other improvements, contains a whopping nineteen factions, customizable settlements, and a four-mission campaign based off of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120809-Hyrule-Historia-Gets-Limited-Collectors-Edition>Hyrule Historia, Nintendo's tome detailing the complex and confusing connections between the various Zelda games.

Perhaps the most immediately eye-catching thing about version 3.0 however, is the trailer Parallel Process released alongside it. The aptly titled <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9awswnrSwM>"Epic Trailer" gives a peek at what has to be one of the bloodiest, most violent depictions of Hyrule ever. A depiction which includes the clashing of armies, siege warfare, a Kaiju-sized Majora's Mask and the deaths of both Zelda and Link. Somehow we get the feeling it's a portrayal that the generally family-friendly Nintendo might not approve of.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
DOWNLOAD! DOWNLOAD NAUW!!! WHY WON'T IT DOWNLOAD FASTER!!!

This is in the same vein as the Middle Earth total war mod Third Age. It´s just such an awesome thing to still see mods getting refined and updated after such a long time.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Something that might actually take a flogged-to-death franchise in a new direction? Yeah, Nintendo's gonna run screaming from this.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
This along with Third Age Total War and Call of Warhammer represent some of the coolest modding for Medieval 2 I've seen.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Mike Fang said:
Something that might actually take a flogged-to-death franchise in a new direction? Yeah, Nintendo's gonna run screaming from this.
Run screaming? Oh no, I believe you are sadly mistaken. Can you not hear it? That whispering noise on the wind that precludes the inevitable fate of all Nintendo fan projects? The lawyers are gathering, and they will bury this fan project under a smothering mountain of cease and desist letters; just like all those which came before it.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
God, I love modders.
KeyMaster45 said:
Mike Fang said:
Run screaming? Oh no, I believe you are sadly mistaken. Can you not hear it? That whispering noise on the wind that precludes the inevitable fate of all Nintendo fan projects? The lawyers are gathering, and they will bury this fan project under a smothering mountain of cease and desist letters; just like all those which came before it.
Sometimes I'm wondering whether we would have a significantly healthier gaming culture if all corporations would just go bankrupt (Every. Single. One.), and we would just have more and more new mods of the old games, and other amateur projects, and then mods of the new amateur projects, and then mods of the mods.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Normally I don't download Youtube videos at work, but let's just save this one now because I'm almost sure it won't be there in five hours.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I can hear the typing of cease and desist letters from Nintendo's lawyers now. May the gaming gods have mercy on those modder(s), they are gonna need it when dealing with Nintendo's lawyers...>.>

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It look like an improvement over the first one I've seen posted on here ages ago. Also it look like Fi is for once useful and I wonder if one of her attacks is boring the enemy to death with her useless info?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
StewShearer said:
The Legend of Zelda series arguably runs on the presumption that most people aren't going to question why, with the fate of the world at stake, the forces of destiny would pick only one guy to be in charge of vanquishing evil. It's not like there's nobody else in the kingdom, after all. In Ocarina of Time there's a bunch of guards who spend their days just walking oddly planned patrols around the perimeter of Hyrule Castle. Why can't they help? Why is it always Link, even when he's just a child, left to do the dirty work?
That is a very good question my friend. It's always been a question in the back of my skull at times. Not just Zelda games, but many others do the "Lone hero off to save the world." It does make the player feel important, but the logic fails. Most of the time it's only because they have the "Legendary _________, which is fated to destroy ________. It's like winning the lottery, and I don't mean the 1.5 million power-ball. I refer to the one where they stone you to death to appease the ancient gods/spirits. I guess that's why they don't get mad when you break into their house and wreck the place looking for loot. Other games like Mass Effect have you at the forefront of a conflict with your ragtag group doing missions/quests. Different games to some extent, true, but the premise is that you're not quite alone and everyone isn't just waiting for you to solve things. But when you think about it, didn't Super Mario Bros do the same thing? He singlehandely (unless you count his brother) take on the whole enemy army to rescue the princess.

But all that aside it does look like something people would get behind. A new take on a familiar franchise.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
For all you people talking about how Nintendo will destroy this and so on... you apparently didn't notice this is the third major update to the mod, which has been around since early 2011.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
You have no idea how happy I am that this is still around; I was certain Nintendo had Cease and Desisted it -loooooong- ago. Very glad indeed to see it still alive and kicking. NOW GIVE IT TO MEEE!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I like how several people started trashtalking Nintendo without even knowing anything about this project.
This mod is few years old and this is the 3rd major update. If Nintendo didn't take it down, it probably wouldn't do it now.

And while they is something interesting, this is a grand strategy game (with regular RTS elements) which is mostly impossible on consoles... until the WiiU and the touch screen which would allow for a mouse like control. And even on the WiiU it would probably feel clunky. So don't just go and tell Nintendo how they should have done something like this a while ago. A while ago it was literally impossible to make it work on consoles without dumbing down the game to an unimaginable extend or selling extra accessory.

Gonna give it more attention once I get back from work. Don't really have much time right now.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I like how several people started trashtalking Nintendo without even knowing anything about this project.
This mod is few years old and this is the 3rd major update. If Nintendo didn't take it down, it probably wouldn't do it now.
Many people, like myself, didn't know how old it was. Nintendo is no stranger to sending out cease and desist letters to modders and so some of us assumed they'd not want their franchise portrayed in a way they wouldn't like. It's good to know it's been up for so long and not everyone plays Total War so knowing about the mods isn't something people would keep up with, heck I'd never even heard of this mod before this news story. It's not necessarily trash talking when it's entirely possible for them to send out a C&D. But now that I know it's been out for a while I hope that Nintendo doesn't send one out and proves that they are fine with modders as opposed to say Sega.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Well, perhaps I should be more accurate. The Nintendo staff will run screaming TO their lawyers.