Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hmm, ok so if you are playing as the Fab 5, then I'll probably be playing the aquatic girl, as she actually has a healing ability. Assuming they actually translate that to the game, she's probably going to be my go to girl.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Man, every new trailer they show off makes me wanna buy the game despite not liking these kinds of titles. The story sounds like it's gonna be pretty exciting!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Man, every new trailer they show off makes me wanna buy the game despite not liking these kinds of titles. The story sounds like it's gonna be pretty exciting!
I've always found the dynasty warriors style of game fun, but my issue has always been the lack of ability to play with others. It feels like a perfect coop game. With hyrule warriors, hopefully I will be able to play with others, because I'd enjoy playing it with my god daughters. That's really the main reason I'll be picking it up. I enjoyed BoTW just fine, but it felt very lonely while I played it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This a large demo! I've only done two stages and there is alot of side missions and main missions with rewards. You select stages on a map and unlock more after beating the first stage. Hopefully by saving, you're allowed to keep or transfer your save when buying the full game.

Pros
  • Combat is improved by a good amount. First of all, I called it. The game has witch time and everyone can do it! Dodge attack at the last second from an elite mook or humanoid sized boss/mini-boss causes time to slow down and allows you to do a flurry attack. That is Bayonetta and No More Heroe's Dark Stepping. Excellent!
  • More variety of sub-weapons and flows with the combat better. You can combo in to sub-weapons and the game rewards you for it. With that said, it still does the same thing where you need a specific sub-weapon to weaken an certain mini-boss, so still expect that.
  • Characters play differently from each other. This is not much new, but it is even more so now. I've played as Link, Impa, and Zelda none of them played liked they did in the last game. Which makes sense, though Link is similar, but different enough.
  • Everyone can wall jump now. You wall jump when you're next to a vertical surface like a stone block, and the button prompt (B, the dodge buttion) allows you to jump and glide in the air. It makes another alternative to dodge attacks. More so projectile attacks.
  • Maps are larger, but not obnoxiously like Dynasty Warriors. It's easy to know where you supposed to head towards next.
Cons
  • I noticed some frame rates issues when there are tons of monsters in certain areas or when things I trying to load. It is not game breaking or too distracting, but something I noticed.
  • This game has a similar problem like the last one where you're waiting for enemies to spawn in keeps so you can take them over. Thankfully, killing an elite mook make the keep bar go down way faster.

For Zelda fans, Warriors fans, or fans of the last HW, I do recommend you try out the demo and later pick up a when it releases at retail. Let me know if y'all have any questions. I will answer the best I can, because I have not completed the full demo yet. They put a good amount of content in it for a demo.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So update. You can only do two main missions and some minor side stuff in the demo and that's it. The good news is that you're save data can transfer over when buying the full game. That is a nice and actual time saver without charging you the bullshit on top of $60.

Anyone else tried the demo yet?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So update. You can only do two main missions and some minor side stuff in the demo and that's it. The good news is that you're save data can transfer over when buying the full game. That is a nice and actual time saver without charging you the bullshit on top of $60.

Anyone else tried the demo yet?
I did, and I am getting the feeling this game is gonna be very grindy to even progress at all

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did, and I am getting the feeling this game is gonna be very grindy to even progress at all
I'm sure they have the sames system from the last HW where you can gain experience quicker by trading it in for rupees. Plus, they will be a bunch grind exploits and good bad bugs that will be found that will make the grind easier. The grinding is much worse in the home franchise than it is in almost any of the spin-offs. Also, you want heavy grind? Go play Chaos Legion back on the PS2 or PC, then complain to me about the pain of grinding.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is apparently a demo available right now? I saw a little blurb about it earlier today, but didn't read it too closely so can't confirm.
The demo has been out for three weeks. You can still download it. After beating the first two main stages, you can't progress furthers aside from a couple side missions/challenges. Keep your save data from the demo, because when you get the full game, you can continue from where you last left off. Meaning you keep all the items, weapons, and resources you've collected.

Reactions: happyninja42

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm torn.

The second I downloaded the demo, it was so laggy that I was put off. I'm a fighting game player. If I feel dropped frames, my interest wanes.

I'm going to wait for a patch or two. See what happens.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm torn.

The second I downloaded the demo, it was so laggy that I was put off. I'm a fighting game player. If I feel dropped frames, my interest wanes.

I'm going to wait for a patch or two. See what happens.
I've seen reviews and many have said it's mostly the demo's problem. The full retail version does have some slowdown, but it's mostly minor and barely last a few seconds. Now if you're playing co-op on the other hand, frames can drop to 15fps. So if you're single player only, not that much trouble.