Hyrule Warriors Legends Review - The Dynasty of Zelda Goes Portable

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Hyrule Warriors Legends Review - The Dynasty of Zelda Goes Portable

Hyrule Legends Warriors brings the frantic excitement of the Wii U version to a handheld gaming experience. However, despite significant gameplay improvements, the game's graphics and technical issues hinder the experience.

Read Full Article

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Disappointing to hear that it runs so badly on the old 3DS models. I was looking forward to getting this until I heard that.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well i guess that is another good reason i got a new 3ds and preordered this at the same time besides the sale

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Awh, I was looking forward to this especially I don't have a WiiU.

I guess this means if I were to get the newer model, this will be the game to buy on it!

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Being able to order characters around and switch between them on the fly improves the game by a huge margin I must admit (on top of teleporting around with the ocarina); the biggest problem I had with the Wii U version was how you're the only one on the battlefield worth a damn which made for some tedious segments of just running like hell between outposts and missions and also killed any feeling of being in the midst of a large battle because you're the only one doing anything against the enemy. The added layer of strategy and character switching really ups the pace and makes the game so much more engaging now, I love it!

The graphics took quite a knock though, and you can see they took some lazy shortcuts by downsizing some images so much they look blurry and just left it at that, and the 3D effect also serves no purpose other than slowing the game down, not worth it just to have your hud stick out a bit more. And of course the poor performance on old 3DS systems.

Overall its pretty damn great though, definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of warriors games and haven't tried it yet, and most importantly have a new 3DS haha.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Blitsie said:
Being able to order characters around and switch between them on the fly improves the game by a huge margin I must admit (on top of teleporting around with the ocarina); the biggest problem I had with the Wii U version was how you're the only one on the battlefield worth a damn which made for some tedious segments of just running like hell between outposts and missions and also killed any feeling of being in the midst of a large battle because you're the only one doing anything against the enemy. The added layer of strategy and character switching really ups the pace and makes the game so much more engaging now, I love it!

The graphics took quite a knock though, and you can see they took some lazy shortcuts by downsizing some images so much they look blurry and just left it at that, and the 3D effect also serves no purpose other than slowing the game down, not worth it just to have your hud stick out a bit more. And of course the poor performance on old 3DS systems.

Overall its pretty damn great though, definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of warriors games and haven't tried it yet, and most importantly have a new 3DS haha.
The main issue I heard about the original on WiiU is that it tries to please both LoZ and Warriors fans, and ends up doing okay for both but not great for either. The combat doesn't have the tactical depth of a Warriors game or the combat depth of LoZ, instead a compromise of the two.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
I preordered this game but only have an old 3DS. I had no intention of buying a New 3DS and really still don't. Thing is, should I keep it so I can unlock the Wii U characters or do I actually have to play and unlock them to get them on my Wii U and therefore just either return it or sell it?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I was going to buy this in a heartbeat, but when I heard how shitty the 3DS port was I lost all interest. I've heard around 20 FPS average with constant dips. That's unacceptable even for me. Nintendo should have just not released it for the 3DS if this was the case.

Anyway, this game is not worth it to buy a whole new handheld. So unless the new Pokemon games require the new 3DS, I doubt I'll be playing this one anytime soon.

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
The fact that it runs so badly on the 3DS is a really a smack in the face. I was a big fan of the original, so I was planning to buy it right away until I read this.

I guess I'm just going to have to hope that Nintendo's next handheld has backwards compatibility with the N3DS so that I can eventually play this.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
How odd... everything I read about this game said it was "only for New 3DS". Strange how they never put it on the box.