Hyrule Warriors Review - Triforce, Trifurious

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
MrSir231 said:
Eh... At the end of the day it's still a Dynasty Warriors game to me, and I only pick those up when they're cheap and i'm really bored.
I had that same mindset due to getting into them with Samurai Warriors 2 (that has not aged well btw).
I ended up getting 8 on steam for $30 and I feel I owe the devs a lot more than that.
70 hours.
It literally ended up being 1 hour longer than my attempt at 100%ing Dragon Age Origins Ultimate edition (I skipped Golems though) and I'm not 100% done with it.

It's campy as hell, but any game that gives me an RPG's worth of time on one playthrough isn't something I can justify waiting on the bargain bin for, so I had to pick this one up.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
My copy was dispatched earlier today, so hopefully it'll be here either tomorrow or the day after. I have no previous experience with any of the Warriors games that came before, but looking at all the videos and how over the top they were made me cave.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Now that we know Hyrule Warriors is good, I can only hope the same for Dragon Quest Heroes.
Dragon Quest Warriors?
DRAGON WARRIORS! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Did they seriously not include any major content based on A Link to the Past?

If so, I'm sorry to say that Nintendo has REALLY fallen prey to the allure of DLC. Because no way are they going to ignore their SNES past in a core franchise game, when their biggest core-franchise cash cow on their last-gen system was a direct copy of that character's SNES jaunt.

I'll still get the game itself... if nothing else, just so I can,

• 1: double the number of games I own in which Zelda is actually a fully playable character, thus rewarding good behavior on the part of Nintendo, and

2: finally see what all the fuss is about with the whole Dynasty Warriors thing,

...but I will not buy any DLC, unless they offer kilotons of new content for dirt cheap (like, say, if I can get Aghanim, Marin, the Skull Kid, and both Oracles as playable characters, plus a new storyline/campaign in which I fight the Nightmares and Majora's Mask and I'm given some reason for doing so, AND I can get all of this for less than $25. Any DLC less awesome than that, I will not reward Nintendo for offering).

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Sylocat said:
...but I will not buy any DLC, unless they offer kilotons of new content for dirt cheap (like, say, if I can get Aghanim, Marin, the Skull Kid, and both Oracles as playable characters, plus a new storyline/campaign in which I fight the Nightmares and Majora's Mask and I'm given some reason for doing so, AND I can get all of this for less than $25. Any DLC less awesome than that, I will not reward Nintendo for offering).
Why only 2 of the Oracles? The third made an appearance in Minish Cap along with Vaati.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I dont know why but to me Nintendo games really need to be stale as fuck to be called stale, otherwise they get a pass.

I will give a pass on this review since Jim does enjoy Dynasty Warriors on its own but I see a lot of people going "I dont never liked DW but this one its so fun" as if a Zelda skin changed the entire game concept. The same goes with all the other games like Smash Bros, everyone hypes and pukes rainbows at any tease of what is some new character.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man... I think there are more than enough quality titles for me to get a Wii U now. This game looks awesome (as a huge Dynasty Warriors fan). I guess I know what I'm doing when I get paid!

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Baresark said:
Man... I think there are more than enough quality titles for me to get a Wii U now. This game looks awesome (as a huge Dynasty Warriors fan). I guess I know what I'm doing when I get paid!
I wish I could be like you. I just have to save money for a wii u though. And then some for wonderful 101, bayonetta and this game. Hell, maybe I can also get super mario 3D world, though I'm not too sure if that'll work for me. And it's backwards compatible right? Maybe I can get some wii games on it too then.

I just... need to be a bit more patient for now... And do what I need to do...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
hickwarrior said:
Baresark said:
I wish I could be like you. I just have to save money for a wii u though. And then some for wonderful 101, bayonetta and this game. Hell, maybe I can also get super mario 3D world, though I'm not too sure if that'll work for me. And it's backwards compatible right? Maybe I can get some wii games on it too then.

I just... need to be a bit more patient for now... And do what I need to do...
Haha, I have been putting off buying it for a while. I have saved money and I think this puts me over the limit of good games before I adopt a console.

Also, it is backwards compatible, so there is some good Wii games you can followup on. I would love to play through Metroid: Other M again. It's story was shit, but it was a good classic style Metroid game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Everything I've seen with this game makes it look pretty good. If I had a Wii U, I'd be getting this.

Mr. Omega said:
So, how long until the accusations of bias come around? How long until "you only gave this game a good review because you like dynasty warriors" or something like that?
It's a Zelda game. People only complain about scores and reviews on Zelda games when they're low. Liking a Zelda game doesn't make you TEH BIAS, it means you're doing it right!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sylocat said:

If so, I'm sorry to say that Nintendo has REALLY fallen prey to the allure of DLC. Because no way are they going to ignore their SNES past in a core franchise game, when their biggest core-franchise cash cow on their last-gen system was a direct copy of that character's SNES jaunt.

• 1: double the number of games I own in which Zelda is actually a fully playable character, thus rewarding good behavior on the part of Nintendo, and

2: finally see what all the fuss is about with the whole Dynasty Warriors thing,

Because when you get down to it, LttP is with the 2D side of things. The problem with the 2D games is due to the fact that they would have to create a TON of environments and characters with no real 3D reference thus adding to the workload. Plus the 2D entries, due to limited resources, have nowhere near the breadth and personality of the 3D environments (well, at least not until Minish Cap). For the 3D titles it was just a lot easier to adapt.

David Fernandez

Dec 19, 2011
I loved Heavenly Sword on the PS3 and I have been looking for a good mash'em army peons game since then, I tried Dynasty Warriors 'Nexts' on the Vita and it was ok but I wanted something more. I know that Jim likes these sorts of games and he's given it a good rating so I think I'm buying it.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Sylocat said:

Well, DLC really isn't what Koei does for characters. For costumes, sure, but they usually will do expansions or sequels for new characters. See every other Warriors game for proof.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I tried playing this game's demo over at Gamestop, having never played a Dynasty Warriors game.

I didn't want to put it down.

I was always a fan of old school beat-em-ups, so maybe that had something to do with it...

#IStandWithGanondorf

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
Didn't enjoy any of the new-age Zelda games (OoT and onward were made by someone who publicly despised the original series because they were, by his own admission, too hard for him), but this may finally help me get over that...

I mean... it worked for Tron (couldn't watch the original until I saw Legacy and the cartoon), so why not Zelda?

With any luck, I'll be snagging a copy of TP-GC in six months, ready to give it a second shot.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
JCAll said:
Sylocat said:
Why only 2 of the Oracles? The third made an appearance in Minish Cap along with Vaati.
*Googles*

Wow. How did I not know that?

Aiddon said:
Sylocat said:
Because when you get down to it, LttP is with the 2D side of things. The problem with the 2D games is due to the fact that they would have to create a TON of environments and characters with no real 3D reference thus adding to the workload. Plus the 2D entries, due to limited resources, have nowhere near the breadth and personality of the 3D environments (well, at least not until Minish Cap). For the 3D titles it was just a lot easier to adapt.
Hmm... good point, but they already have to redesign the levels to accommodate the new gameplay, and build new assets for the new graphics engine.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
The reaction to this game confuses me. DW8 comes and the reaction is either ambivalence or "Oh a new DW game, I wonder if its the exact same as all the others. Oh wait I guess I answered my own question *sneer sneer sneer*" but you take the same game and give it Zelda wallpaper and suddenly "OMFG I JIZZED MY PANTS I MUST HAVE THIS NAO". I just don't get it.

OT: So its a solid DW game. I'm ok with this, I'm really enjoying 8 on the PS4. One more for the "worth picking up once something comes along to make me actually buy a WiiU" list.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
This is one of those games that makes me sad I won't be able to play it because I won't be buying a Wii U for it. Dang. :|