Hyrule Warriors Review - Triforce, Trifurious

greasedweasel

Jul 28, 2009
I'm seriously on the fence about this one. I love Zelda as much as the next guy, and I used to have a blast playing co-op Samurai Warriors on PS2 with my friend back in school. But having friends over to play games just isn't something I do any more, and it seems like it just wouldn't be as much fun as a solo experience.

That said, if they announced Tingle DLC then the decision would become a whole lot simpler.

By the way, are there mounts in the game? I've seen Link riding Epona in a cutscene, but I haven't seen any mention of this being an option in-game. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ah, DLC officially announced:

http://playeressence.com/hyrule-warriors-koei-tecmo-details-dlc-adds-new-modes-characters-weapons-and-more/

People aren't sure whether the weapons refer to brand new styles for characters or that their current ones will get new tiers. Cia, Volga, and Wizzro will be made playable in an update. Good times

ilexuki

Apr 14, 2012
my only issue(and not necessarily with jim's review specifically) is that dynasty warrior games come out regularly and usually get shit on for being rehashes and reskins of the same game. both reviewers and gamers regularly dismiss the series for re using the same core gameplay and being incredibly repetitive, across all of it's titles, and yet, a zelda skinned one gets a pass, even tho it follows the same dynasty warrior formula. i find this kinda troubling because it suggests that some gamers will accept anything as long as it's wrapped in nintendo.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I loath the old Dynasty Warrior games, the newer Dynasty Warrior games are to repetitive ,I'll wait for bargain bin. Yes I am one of those bastards that hates to grind my life away. At least there are not QTEs in this....that killed Fist of the North Star.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
"Sod those guys, anyway."

Yep, this has always been my stance on the Warriors games. Funnily enough it seems critics are actually warming more to the series. I don't want to be one of those people who will brush off opinions because they didn't "get it" but...

...sometimes it seems they just don't "get it".

Reviews for this game have overall been pretty good (although I suspect the Zelda brand helped a lot there). That being said, some particularly eye brow raising reviews have come out of the woodwork to.

The Metro being my favorite with "the defilement of Zelda"!? Funny considering even the lowest score on Metacritic still calls it great Zelda fan service... Seriously, some people...

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Caiphus said:
Games like this are making me seriously question whether I want to get a Wii U or PS4 this Christmas.

Maybe I'll compromise and get an Xbone. That's how compromises work, right?
I don't have a PS4, but did break down and get a Wii U earlier this summer. Have yet to regret it.

I've only been playing the HD remake of Wind Waker and Mario Kart 8 -- it's awesome.
I can't wait to slap Hyrule Warriors in either. Smash coming soon, Mario Kart is a ball.

Perhaps I'm a Nintendo fanboy... though I did skip the Wii for a PS3....

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Its nice to see someone who doesn't come across as a massive hypocrite when they review this thing. It seems every other review basically boils down to "I think Dysnasty Warriors is a shitty series. Wait, they put Zelda skins in? 10/10! BEst game evar!"

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah this is going to be a first day purchase for me... and I haven't first day purchased anything in over a year.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I was REALLY excited about this, until you mentioned that it focused on three games I don't actually care that much about.

>_>

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, though I'm a Zelda fan and the brawler, button-mashing-y gameplay looks like lots of fun and lots of stress relief. Putting them together just seems like the ideal marriage.

Man it's been a long time since I've been this genuinely excited about a game release.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I haven't finished it yet but I'm loving what I've played so far! Got the special edition and the scarf is really cool. Such a fun game!