I’m [blank] years old and still can’t [blank]

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm 44 years old, and I still can't watch Optimus Prime hold out the Matrix of Leadership and choke out "Until....All....Are...One", before dying, without getting choked up and teary eyed.
I also cannot watch the other side of that scene, when Rodimus Prime unlocks the Matrix, and you hear Optimus say "Arise Rodimus Prime" without also getting choked up a bit.

I'm also completely incapable of watching Jack vs The Lava Monster without just blubbering with awesome tears because fuck that actor who plays the Lava Monster/Viking nails that performance like a champion.

Oh, I also can't tie a tie, and my job requires I wear them 4 days a week. So I have a nice little hook with all of them pre-tied (thanks wifey), and I just slip them on. Because seriously, fuck ties.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im 23 and I still can't believe that I might well be the youngest person on this site.

I also never learned how to ride a bike. Well, I suppose thats not quite true, because when I was 16 I finally managed to ride somewhat in a straight line for the first time, then I patted myself on the back, thought about what a great job I had done, and then I never touched a bike again.

Im not quite sure if the "you never forget how to ride a bike" saying is actually true, because they still intimidate me.

I am the only person that I know who can't, so it is pretty reassuring to know that its more common than I previously thought.

Now though, I walk where I need to, or drive if it is too far. Keeping a bike always seemed like a lot of hassle to make sure it didn't get dismantled in the street

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm 44 years old, and I still can't watch Optimus Prime hold out the Matrix of Leadership and choke out "Until....All....Are...One", before dying, without getting choked up and teary eyed.
I also cannot watch the other side of that scene, when Rodimus Prime unlocks the Matrix, and you hear Optimus say "Arise Rodimus Prime" without also getting choked up a bit.

I shall sing us the anthem of our dreams, brother. Also yea, ties are a pain.

Reactions: happyninja42

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm at least 25 years old and I still can't beat the DeLorean section in Back to the Future on the NES. I am the shame boy.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Im 23 and I still can't believe that I might well be the youngest person on this site.

I also never learned how to ride a bike. Well, I suppose thats not quite true, because when I was 16 I finally managed to ride somewhat in a straight line for the first time, then I patted myself on the back, thought about what a great job I had done, and then I never touched a bike again.

Im not quite sure if the "you never forget how to ride a bike" saying is actually true, because they still intimidate me.

I am the only person that I know who can't, so it is pretty reassuring to know that its more common than I previously thought.

Now though, I walk where I need to, or drive if it is too far. Keeping a bike always seemed like a lot of hassle to make sure it didn't get dismantled in the street
Hey, you joined in 2009. You were only 11 at that time. Didn't you need to be at least 13 to make an account here? MODS! Ban this man retroactively for being underage!

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am a Gen Z 24 year old, and I still can't program. Despite knowing it's the future for work, and in 20 years I will look like those boomers that type with two fingers or use sharpies on their computer.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm 33, never had a date, haven't awoken my wizard powers and will die alone.

I've also never learned to ride a bike or tie a tie.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
30 and drive. I've literally never satbehind the wheel of moving car once in my entire life.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Must say, I'm shocked by how many people in here can't drive. Not judging, just genuinely shocked there are this many adults that can't drive. It's a small sample size, granted, but that in said sample, THIS many can't drive is in and of itself telling, i.e.: if you polled 10 people and 4 of them said they'd never seen the sky, it's not a majority, but a shockingly high minority. I don't know what people's circumstances were growing up, but in my case, driving was a right of passage we couldn't wait to get to. At 18, I was actually late learning to drive compared to most of my friends.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Must say, I'm shocked by how many people in here can't drive.
I'm similarly surprised by how many people can't do ties. I'd be interested to know whether there's a country split, as I (UK) had to wear a tie at primary and secondary school so I've been able to tie one since about seven years old. I only wear one for formal occasions now (very infrequent) but it's just muscle memory to put a tie on.

I learned to drive at 17. Loved it. Just a chore now though.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm similarly surprised by how many people can't do ties. I'd be interested to know whether there's a country split, as I (UK) had to wear a tie at primary and secondary school so I've been able to tie one since about seven years old. I only wear one for formal occasions now (very infrequent) but it's just muscle memory to put a tie on.

I learned to drive at 17. Loved it. Just a chore now though.
I'm not so much shocked about the ties, though there are quite a few more than I'd expect. One, ties are generally relegated to one gender, and two, it IS primarily for formal occasions, and if everyone was like me, those are to be avoided like a disease, so reasons to wear a tie are typically few and far between. That's why clip-ons were invented.

But I too had to wear a tie for school, high school; I attended a preparatory high school, and ties were mandated. After 4 years, yeah, it's pretty much engrained in the muscle memory. I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I actually taught my girlfriend's son to tie a tie in front of his father. It was as uncomfortable as it was a proud moment of out "man-ing" a man whose ex I'm sleeping with. That said, he's 10 years older than me, pulling down a 6-figure salary, is bilingual, cycles as a hobby and thusly is in great shape, so as far as "winning" in life goes, my little teaching moment was a last second, 3-point swish in a game I still lost by double digits in the end.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Must say, I'm shocked by how many people in here can't drive. Not judging, just genuinely shocked there are this many adults that can't drive. It's a small sample size, granted, but that in said sample, THIS many can't drive is in and of itself telling, i.e.: if you polled 10 people and 4 of them said they'd never seen the sky, it's not a majority, but a shockingly high minority. I don't know what people's circumstances were growing up, but in my case, driving was a right of passage we couldn't wait to get to. At 18, I was actually late learning to drive compared to most of my friends.
Where I live, getting a driver's license is almost like a rite of passage while growing up. I think it's perfectly normal for people in certain countries though, but I haven't checked to see where all the people who can't drive are from.

I have a friend in Hong Kong who just never needed to learn to drive. You can walk and public transport just about anywhere there, if anything cars are a pain in the arse over there due to traffic and exorbitant parking prices.

It's highly inconvenient to get around Malaysia without some sort of vehicle license. Our public transport has a long way to go.

As far as ties go... I work in a casual dress environment. T-shirts and Polo-Ts, I just never had to learn to tie one. If I ever need to, I'm sure I can find a YT video. That's how I learn how to fold up sleeves when I need to. It's not something I need to ever commit to memory.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm similarly surprised by how many people can't do ties.
I was in Catholic school as a kid for two years and they made us wear ties. They were stupid little snap-together things, but I despised them so much that I've hated any sort of tie ever since. If I ever find myself in a job where they're necessary, I'll wear a clip-on.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I was in Catholic school as a kid for two years and they made us wear ties. They were stupid little snap-together things, but I despised them so much that I've hated any sort of tie ever since. If I ever find myself in a job where they're necessary, I'll wear a clip-on.
Yeah, my primary was a Catholic too (and secondary was in all but name). No shortcut ties for us sinners!

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Oh, I got a new one.

I'm 40 and I never got a speeding ticket.

Or have been drunk! Or High!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm 40 and I never got a speeding ticket.
Me neither. Just a few parking tickets when I lived in a place with alternate-side parking rules. I hate those.

Or have been drunk! Or High!
I don't touch anything stronger than caffeine, and even that just in soda. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 15, I only took two of the painkiller pills I was given because I was terrified of getting addicted.