I am a feminist....and this is hilarious.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Regarding violence in media, it does not make people more violent. However, in a large enough dose, it makes people more acceptant towards the idea of violence as a problem solver. Playing military worshipping games on a regular basis doesn't exactly make you a pacifist, unless you simultaneously attend to pacifist circles, allowing you to enjoy those kinds of games from a distance, rather than swallowing every one of its morals.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I think we can all agree that people in every "group" say stupid things.

I'm curious though. You took time out your life to post stupid comments from a Feminist. Have you ever taken the time out of your life to post stupid quotes from non-Feminists?

Edit: That was meant for The Kodu.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
This is the kind of shit i like to hear. Actual proper feminism, just "Equal rights for men and women", nothing more, nothing less.
Well I would say fair treatment than Equal rights because but both are interchangeable. For instance women under the law should get fair treatment such as the same sentences and held by the same scrutiny as men for committing crime. While equal rights pertain things like pay and speech.

What fake feminism has done is demand the benefits of what males tend to have but non of the drawbacks. Like how they demand a man to pay child support but if the baby isn't his they don't have to pay a thing. That's would mean by not speaking out and allow that sort of stuff they want superior rights. But that's one example.

I wouldn't say feminism is ruining gaming but rather it isn't helping it correctly. What's correctly? I don't know.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
one squirrel said:
"Feminism is the notion that men and women shoud be equal in society" OK, if that was really it, I would count as feminist. But then the label seems to be a BIT misleading, why not call ourselves "gender egalitarianists" or something alike?
I've always wondered about this myself, it seems odd that we don't have something like that going on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You're wrong, OP. It's still being done to gaming. You can see people complain about the idea of more women in games and at the same time watch them rail against the offensive stereotypes of the media against gamers. Hell, we had a thread recently asking why Anita Sarkeesian was right if Jack Thompson was wrong which had a lot of the same ideas bandied about. You can see it every time a study suggests gamers are violent[footnote]I doubt the veracity of those studies, but that's not the point[/footnote] or anyone suggests there should be studies, or whatever.

And then there's TBBT, a show that's so horribly offensive that it's "nerd blackface" and should be taken off the air, but more women in games is wrong because we shouldn't tell creators how to make their product.

In fairness, nobody said gamers weren't overall hypocritical.

But in fairness, it's not just the gaming community. People are largely hypocritical about the concept of offense.

Vault101 said:
can I just say that the feminist "cencorship euqlity quota" concil [b/] doesn't exist?[/b]

[b/]and will never exist[/b]
Keep telling them that. If we can lure them into complacency, they will never see our end goal (the enslavement of all males) coming!

Colour Scientist said:
Feminism, or at least some perceived notion of feminism, seems to be the current boogeyman according to quite a few people in gaming.
Well, diversity. The idea of anything but burly white dudes who love women and killing things and not necessarily in that order. I think Feminism is brought up as a figurehead because the base of possible subjects is significantly larger than any other group (At least, in most cases), but if there were more blacks leading the charge, or Muslims, or lefties, or anything, people would still react the same.

bobleponge said:
Like, I'd LOVE to have a discussion about Anita's videos with someone who didn't obviously have it in for her from the very beginning.
I think the biggest problem there is finding someone who has actually watched them. I wonder how many of the people who talk about them watch them all the way through. I used to, but I haven't finished the most recent and have little imperative to. See, the thing is, I've watched her since well before TVWIVG and had no problem in small bursts, but she's kind of boring and I found myself only watching her videos to see if the quotes attributed to her were true. And when I discovered most of the people attributing things to her were either lying outright or misquoting her, I just sort of stopped.

The videos are too long and not all that interesting. The points she makes are sometimes valid and sometimes not. But I'm not even sure most of her critics have watched her videos and I'm not sure a lot of her supporters have. I REALLY doubt anyone else in the discussions have.

Are there specific things you would like to bring up in a discussion?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
AkaDad said:

I'm curious though. You took time out your life to post stupid comments from a Feminist. Have you ever taken the time out of your life to post stupid quotes from non-Feminists?

From a few people posting on videos of the entire Zoegate debacle, direct, unedited quotes...

MundaneMatt's 'Hell hath no fury like a lovers scorn' video You know, that was taken down by copyright?
"lol, damage control

"not all feminists are like that"

yeah no, feminism is garbage, it enables/encourages degenerate behavior like zoe's, it's ruining western society, fuck off forever"
"And, don't blame feminism for this"
No, totally blame feminism for this. After all, it's feminism that made her believe she could do all this without consequence and also taught her to deflect any sort of criticism as "attacks on her gender".
Femscum doin its job as always.
All of these posts were upvoted btw. And I'm not saying that the video should've been taken down or anything extreme like that but there are alot of non-feminists who are....basically taking advantage of the situation. Then again, that's just youtube.

/r/theRedpill is overjoyed

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Your point would be more valid, or perhaps actually valid, if you (as a group) weren't allowing extremely political and activist organizations to represent you. As long as NOW exists, as long as Feminist Frequency is defended as a defender of the cause, as long as every "feminist" who actually speaks up on public media is not any kind of genuine feminist but could genuinely be described by the term "feminazi" and (in office) legislates as such, your voice cannot matter. For that matter, why do we insist on feminism when equalism is the stated goal? Aren't we trying to make a world where race, sex, orientation, and creed don't enforce your place in it, where no one wants to harm you for it, where you can easily have as much opportunity as those other people? I could go on to debate that which "feminism" has latched onto that advances neither women nor society, but that's another thread.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
This is the kind of shit i like to hear. Actual proper feminism, just "Equal rights for men and women", nothing more, nothing less. /quote]Well I would say fair treatment than Equal rights because but both are interchangeable. For instance women under the law should get fair treatment such as the same sentences and held by the same scrutiny as men for committing crime. While equal rights pertain things like pay and speech.

What fake feminism has done is demand the benefits of what males tend to have but non of the drawbacks. Like how they demand a man to pay child support but if the baby isn't his they don't have to pay a thing. That's would mean by not speaking out and allow that sort of stuff they want superior rights. But that's one example.

I wouldn't say feminism is ruining gaming but rather it isn't helping it correctly. What's correctly? I don't know.
I'm confused. Are you saying a man should pay for a baby that's not his?

Once you get a woman pregnant and decide to keep it, you're now responsible for said baby. If you split up are you saying that you're ex should have sole responsibility and you're off the hook? Would you prefer women to pay child support while you work, pay for babysitter, the rent, clothe, feed, teach, and do all the tasks involved with being a parent?

If You're saying that gaming is being ruined, well, who's in charge of developing, distributing, and marketing games? Feminists? No. Minorities? No. White men? There we go. Maybe you should be upset at them.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
V4Viewtiful said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
This is the kind of shit i like to hear. Actual proper feminism, just "Equal rights for men and women", nothing more, nothing less.
Well I would say fair treatment than Equal rights because but both are interchangeable. For instance women under the law should get fair treatment such as the same sentences and held by the same scrutiny as men for committing crime. While equal rights pertain things like pay and speech.

AkaDad said:
shouldn't

Once you get a woman pregnant and decide to keep it, you're now responsible for said baby. If you split up are you saying that you're ex should have sole responsibility and you're off the hook? Would you prefer women to pay child support while you work, pay for babysitter, the rent, clothe, feed, teach, and do all the tasks involved with being a parent?
Depends, if a woman wants nothing to do with the man or the other way around she shouldn't take his money and he shouldn't be forced to give it, a woman is allowed to decide whether or to be a mother by abortion, adoption or leaving the baby by the fire station, and a man... he often pays regardless of whether it's his or whether he has no or chooses to have no access to the child. That's not equal.
Women aren't held responsible for lying about paternity or there own sexual exploits like men and often in court cases in a break up they automatically give the woman the child regardless of the man being the breadwinner or if she continues to have multiple children she clearly can't afford.
If a man can't afford to take care of his kids he goes to prison, a woman? A new house (that's rarely the case, ill admit. most times it's more money or subsidies but compared to a man's punishment it's a slap on the wrist).

If You're saying that gaming is being ruined, well, who's in charge of developing, distributing, and marketing games? Feminists? No. Minorities? No. White men? There we go. Maybe you should be upset at them.
I didn't say it was ruining anything, I said what ever it's doing doesn't seem to be helpful and I don't know what would be.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
First of all let me say that I am in favour of equality.
The problem I have personally is that when someone who just happens to be a feminist does something stupid and is called out on it, people defend them by claiming that it's all about gender, and how those with issues are just being sexist.

I have issues with Anita Sarkeesian not because she's a woman. She's a feminist who judges an entire medium in her videos based on fallacies, poorly thought out research and does so using (Sometimes using really outdated) examples that barely fit into her argument.
If someone like, say, Susan Arendt did something similar to Feminist Frequency, pointing out the flaws of the industry, that'd be fine because she could be trusted to know the ins and outs of the industry, and not be patronising doing so, but Anita?
She doesn't deserve hatred for her videos, they're just not good as educational tools.

As for Zoe Quinn. It's not that she slept with 5 guys. Sleeping with 5 guys would be fine if she didn't have a boyfriend (she did) but that's a private matter.
The issue is that Zoe Quinn allegedly framed groups like 4Chan and Wizardchan in order to get sympathy* and then went on to perform sexual favours with influential people in the games industry to gain publicity for her game.
This is not a coincidence that men from both Kotaku and Rock, Paper, Shotgun had sex with her. If these allegations are true (and given previous knowledge, we're more likely to agree with the Ex's interpretation (because he hasn't lied about being targeted by Wizardchan, or about being hacked by 4Chan)) then these acts were calculated moves on her part in order to further her career in the industry.
THAT is the issue at hand here, not that Zoe slept with 5 guys, it's that the guys were members of the game journalism industry who's corruption has just been laid out for the world to see.
Zoe Quinn is just at the epicentre of it. She deserves the flack she is getting. The only reason the 5 men aren't yet is because
1. they've (tactifully) remained silent,
2. Zoe is already guilty of lying, see the * + numerous internet sources.
and 3. Because we're is still soaking up the information, and if all roads lead back to Zoe, why wouldn't she be the first target?
After a consensus is reached on what happened, then the process can begin on the 5 guys. Who knew? Who should apologize? Who should resign? etc.
Unlike some of the journalists, Zoe also doesn't have an editor to act as a shield, so Zoe is getting the full force of this with little defence other than her own, aside from Phil Fish (which God knows what that amounts to at this point).

*and we know this because 4Chan denies involvement. Guys. 4Chan? They never deny shit. Their general course of action is to either pridefully accept the accusation, or blame 9Gag or Reddit. That didn't happen in this case.

And by the way, I'm seeing lately in these gender discussions some people coming in and claiming that those not on the side of women are all 'neckbeards' or 'immature', creating strawmen and making sweeping generalizations about the opposing party.
Can we please cut this shit out? I'm pretty sure the sword cuts both ways and assuming one thing on an entire group of people (men specifically) and then acting on those actions by being hostile is pretty much the definition of sexism.

Anyway, that's my opinion, feel free to disagree, but I don't know how I could express my views any more clearly.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
V4Viewtiful said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

AkaDad said:
shouldn't

Depends, if a woman wants nothing to do with the man or the other way around she shouldn't take his money and he shouldn't be forced to give it, a woman is allowed to decide whether or to be a mother by abortion, adoption or leaving the baby by the fire station, and a man... he often pays regardless of whether it's his or whether he has no or chooses to have no access to the child. That's not equal.
Women aren't held responsible for lying about paternity or there own sexual exploits like men and often in court cases in a break up they automatically give the woman the child regardless of the man being the breadwinner or if she continues to have multiple children she clearly can't afford.
If a man can't afford to take care of his kids he goes to prison, a woman? A new house (that's rarely the case, ill admit. most times it's more money or subsidies but compared to a man's punishment it's a slap on the wrist).

I didn't say it was ruining anything, I said what ever it's doing doesn't seem to be helpful and I don't know what would be.
I'm pretty sure that when a women lies about paternity in court she's committed perjury and gets punished. If not then she should.

Why aren't all men clamoring to take full custody and responsibility and wave away their legal obligations for their children? I actually had joint custody and paid more support than I was legally obligated to because I thought it was important, but I don't hear a lot of men doing that.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
The_Kodu said:
AkaDad said:

I can give you two examples if that helps.

Inspired by the Phil Fish harassment and about media sensationalism mostly and how it could be causing these death threats to be more common. [http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/you-people-disgust-me--260341.phtml]

and this incident against a fellow reviewer, I should say in fairness the reviewer is female [http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/TheKodu/pitchforditous-spreads-to-indie-developer-247798.phtml] in fairness said developer did also group me with a as one of the smack head reviewers who didn't get his game.

He has also offered a sort of apology to me, though it wasn't his reaction to me that was the issue it was his reaction to someone else's review and bringing into contention their integrity as a reviewer.
Cool. Do you think you're an exception to the rule?

I see the same people constantly commenting about feminists in a negative way, trying to extrapolate stupid comments to a whole group, but hardly ever negative towards non-femenists and certainly never blanket that whole group from a few stupid comments. I see a lot of "I support feminism, but..."

I see this in politics as well with, "I'm not a racist," then go on to tell me how awful minorities are and never pointing out all the awful things white people do.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
AkaDad said:
V4Viewtiful said:
V4Viewtiful said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

AkaDad said:
shouldn't

I'm pretty sure that when a women lies about paternity in court she's committed perjury and gets punished. If not then she should.
it isn't once you're name is on the birth certificate you are legally responsible, regardless of circumstance.

Why aren't all men clamoring to take full custody and responsibility and wave away their legal obligations for their children? I actually had joint custody and paid more support than I was legally obligated to because I thought it was important, but I don't hear a lot of men doing that.
Your situation sounds good but (not all women and not all feminists) the female point of view is that a man isn't supposed to have his child, I know of people and have heard of similar POV in mens life. They are brought up to expect the woman to bring up the child, combine that with the "Independant Woman" rhetoric it browbeats a lot of good fathers, believing (rightly so) that they'll get no support and many don't.

Now some of this is the mens fault in certain aspects and not all break ups are amicable as you well no but many of the child support claims/maintenance are started by the woman and in many cases the state provides them with an attorney and they don't need to go to court and many men can't afford to be represented in court. That doesn't happen all the time but it isn't rare either.
Also if you lose your job or get a new job that pays less the state doesn't modify the payment unless you go through a lengthy process which you still have to pay in full till it's resolved. But as soon as you make more money they demand more money even though the mother and child seemed to do fine with what was paid before and if the mother lives with or is married to a richer man your payments stay the same even though there's 2 incomes in her house.

Now how does this relate to games? Thinking of it broadly it's part of why some don't take feminism seriously, accountability on both sides. And that's a shame because it halts real progress.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
It sounds like you don't like the way the system is run, and that's fair.

Who's in charge of the system? Feminists? No. Minorities? No. White men? Yup. They created the system. They're in charge of everything. You're blaming women for a system men created.

When women control half the legislatures, Congress and the judicial branch, then I will see your point.

Edit: That was meant for V4Viewtiful.