I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Balobo said:
LiquidSolstice said:
Oh? Do console owners ever openly ***** about PC gamers?
All the time. Do you even read any of the threads here? :p

Also, for a PC gamer, you seem pretty happy to put PC gamers down.
No, I'm not a PC gamer, for a number of reasons, but none of them having to do with how PC gamers are to console gamers. Have you ever watched PC gamer try and make himself/herself feel better by comparing controllers with mouse/kb? As if that's any sort of valid comparison?

PC gamers blame console games for the so-called "downfall of PC game quality", citing everything from ports to paid DLC.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
LiquidSolstice said:
Balobo said:
LiquidSolstice said:
Oh? Do console owners ever openly ***** about PC gamers?
All the time. Do you even read any of the threads here? :p

Also, for a PC gamer, you seem pretty happy to put PC gamers down.
No, I'm not a PC gamer, for a number of reasons, but none of them having to do with how PC gamers are to console gamers. Have you ever watched PC gamer try and make himself/herself feel better by comparing controllers with mouse/kb? As if that's any sort of valid comparison?

PC gamers blame console games for the so-called "downfall of PC game quality", citing everything from ports to paid DLC.
Console gamers ***** all the time about PC gamers though :p I have seen console gamers blame PC games for consoles becoming less stable. I ALWAYS see console gamers stereotyping all PC gamers as elitist dicks. PC gamers aren't the only ones that complain about things like ports and paid DLC. Everybody does. Don't single us out.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
LiquidSolstice said:
Well, yeah, six year old hardware is holding the whole of the industry back. Consoles are technically making PC games "worse," in that when making a cross-platform game, developers (rightfully) develop with the median in mind, which leaves any top-of-line PCs with an abundant lack of software that makes use of the hardware.

But this is an issue specific to the whole of the industry. This generation has been going on too long and the hardware jump needs to occur soon. It's just that games technology is stagnating somewhat (or plateauing, if you'd rather), and the ones who are feeling the brunt of it are the PC gamers who invested thousands of dollars in machines that have no games to make use of them. "Bad ports" could be tied into this I suppose, but bad and lazy console ports have been around forever.

...y'know, same with "DLC". PC gamers have paid through the nose for mere expansion packs for years (see: The Sims 2). I'm glad that PC gamers recognize there's a problem, but I don't think many of them actually know why, and throw out excuses towards "consoles" being the problem. And while it is PART of the problem, the consoles themselves are hardly to blame; it's just that the key players - Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft - haven't yet significantly changed their hardware infrastructures for close to seven years now, and it is holding the whole of the industry back in terms of sheer technological advancement - which is one of the PCs key advantages over closed-hardware systems.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
LiquidSolstice said:
Well, yeah, six year old hardware is holding the whole of the industry back. Consoles are technically making PC games "worse," in that when making a cross-platform game, developers (rightfully) develop with the median in mind, which leaves any top-of-line PCs with an abundant lack of software that makes use of the hardware.

But this is an issue specific to the whole of the industry. This generation has been going on too long and the hardware jump needs to occur soon. It's just that games technology is stagnating somewhat (or plateauing, if you'd rather), and the ones who are feeling the brunt of it are the PC gamers who invested thousands of dollars in machines that have no games to make use of them. "Bad ports" could be tied into this I suppose, but bad and lazy console ports have been around forever.
I'm a PC gamer so I can easily go along with this "consoles hold us back", but I see it as not the whole story, because looking at how much game development budgets had to increase from Xbox to Xbox 360, it's clear that the budget for artist's time holds us back just as much if not more than hardware.

Put another way, the next generation of graphics will raise the cost of producing a AAA quality title, but it's not clear that the industry can grow enough to support that. Using GTA 4 as an example because it's figures were publicized, I believe it made about $600m and costed $100m. Clearly a nice profit margin, but if the next generation of games start costing $200m-$300m it's not clear that revenue could go up enough to maintain the profit margins the industry expects,so there's no incentive for them to move to a new generation.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
LiquidSolstice said:
Yeah, that's a silly argument since Xbox 360 controller work great with PCs and all the console ports support that controller. No point in arguing controller vs kb/mouse because PC is the only platform that has both. I like to game with a controller, and PC is the only platform that lets me fully customize the buttons for each game.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Wow this thread is still going? Boycott Ubisoft and get on with life without them, it was fine before, it'll be fine after, and when Ubisoft go broke, we'll be there to cheer.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
isometry said:
LiquidSolstice said:
Yeah, that's a silly argument since Xbox 360 controller work great with PCs and all the console ports support that controller. No point in arguing controller vs kb/mouse because PC is the only platform that has both. I like to game with a controller, and PC is the only platform that lets me fully customize the buttons for each game.
Er, no you missed the whole point. You don't compare kb/mouse with controllers because PC gamers play against other people with keyboard/mouse, and console gamers play against other console gamers who use controllers. Similarly, both are utilized to the fullest potential by their respective platform.

This is what I hear when people try and compare the two as though one is better than the other. You: "oh, my le mans car is better than your superbike, gg"
Me: "when was the last time you saw a Le Mans race that involved a superbike as one of the racers?"