I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Oh dear.
**** alert, everyone! We have a **** in the vicinity!

OT: I was vaguely interested in that game when I saw the trailers, but alas it is by ubisoft so even though I have an Xbox now, I will not be looking any further into it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
"And if the game sells better, which despite Ubisoft's best efforts in the DRM field is always a risk, you could be looking at substantially more."

Try BECAUSE, not DESPITE, and you may find something to help you sell more. So many people are sick of Ubisoft treating the PC as a second class market.

It's getting the point where I'm not buying DVDs on impulse any more, because of all the nonsense crowbarred into the start, you have to put the disc in then go find something to do for ten minutes while all the ads, trailers and anti piracy BS flows past.

As for anti piracy ads, they're only ever on legit, paid for DVDs, pirates must edit stuff like that out surely?

I'll still buy stuff I really want, but the days of just casually picking something up on sale at a whim are over.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Stubee said:
Ubisoft games always get pirated to shit or torn a new one by the pc community because of DRM. Dont blame them for giving the PC a big middle finger.
And we are ever so grateful for it. They earned their 90 % drop of PC-sales. Pity though that they couldn't man up enough to, you know, make games that actually works on PC, without diabolical DRM and without lying to their customers.

Aviyur

Mar 11, 2010
Sad thing is they got some quality games.

However I see their point. Most of the PC community will whine, ***** and cry about it being a console port anyway.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Therumancer said:
But that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about their own figures for taking a dozen people over 3 months to do a port. They are saying that if they sold 50,000 copies it wouldn't be enough for them, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun did some computing on what that would generally come out to. So basically $700k isn't enough to justify a couple months work for a dozen of their guys. That's pretty ridiculous which is the point.

Their logic is probably more akin to them being able to have a dozen guys crank out some DLC or a piece of shovelware in the same time period and make more money, making a profit isn't enough, doing the best thing for gaming isn't enough, it's all about squeezing every penny they can.
The thing is a couple of dozen people for a couple of months (and I expect it will be more than that) will eat at least half of that $700k in wage costs alone (24 people for 2 months = 4 man years = $400k or thereabouts), and that's before things like marketing etc are taken into account. I'm sure the bean counters at ubisoft will have models for all this, they may be wrong or we may not like the result, but it seems unlikely to me that a company will turn down profit unless there is some associated risk that makes it not worth it. These people aren't actually idiots despite what we might think.

weker

May 27, 2009
vrbtny said:
weker said:
vrbtny said:
So Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

New Gif I made. Had to use it.
Nice gif, I hijacked it XD but yer my thoughts are the same.
Thank you, glad you like it.... how did you hijack it exactly?
I saved it onto my PC, and also I opened it in a new tab to save it too my box of reaction bookmarks.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
News alert: Gamers Dismiss Bitching Studio Executives

PC gamers are well aware that video game executives are "bitching" about digital piracy, but they just don't care.

Two can play at this game, whatever-your-name-is. I hope you realize this is not a solution to any problem.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Sewer Rat said:
Heh, guess you don't want my money Ubisoft, I'll just put it right back in my pocket *slowly goes to put money in pocket* Oh... they are serious. Guess they just have an irational fear of wealth and success and good public relations. Douchebags.
honestly this, i mean realistically how can they comment that their port 'only' makes them
700k ?

if you really don't want our money then fine just don't bother but dangling things in-front of people then yoinking away the support is just gong to CAUSE 'bitchy pc gamers' so honestly you know who's to blame? that's right! ubi-crap themselves

the only good blockbuster games i can recall them having a finger in recently are assassin's creed splinter cell and hawx
so it's probably more a quality control issue for pc than anything else, which is also on you ubi
( they have a hell of allot of games, most of which ive never herd of )

i know they outright refuse to support the from dust community and add a requested feature
that we've seen exists already in a video
( proper sandbox mode, which is what most people bought the game for )
from the things ive seen on-line, my suspicion about that is they want to make a new game and put the feature in that instead
which would be a smart business move if we didn't already know it exists, for the game we have.
( thus causing bitching )

support for the settlers franchise is also dysmal, even their latest titles fail to have reasonable comparability with multiple operating systems ( win 7, vista, xp ) - the things people use!
and their patcher's and installers bug out 75% of the time

this company, that has this terrible reputation with it's community has the outright Gaul to call it's users 'bitchy pc gamers'
is laughable
i'm glad they don't want my money, it would be better spent on coffee for the upcoming star-wars release anyway.

#edit, heh italic and underline don't work.. eh.. noted.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Wow, what a douche. I'm not even a PC gamer and that guy pisses me off. You couldn't have just politely said no? Instead, he says "I hear you whining, but you are all pirates or cheapskates anyway."
Its a fairly common thing with developers these days. Iv been playing almost everything on PC this year but i have my xbox. Problem is that i dont usually pirate games unless there is no demo and i need to make sure its not a bug ridden mess.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
weker said:
vrbtny said:
weker said:
vrbtny said:
So Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

New Gif I made. Had to use it.
Nice gif, I hijacked it XD but yer my thoughts are the same.
Thank you, glad you like it.... how did you hijack it exactly?
I saved it onto my PC, and also I opened it in a new tab to save it too my box of reaction bookmarks.
I knew I should have put a watermark on it... grr.

Enjoy using it.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it,"
This is exactly what I was harping on about elsewhere in the forums today. A company that has a track record of delaying PC versions of multi-format games (eg all the Assassins Creed games, including the upcoming Revelations), to maximise their console sales. Due to people not wanting to wait they buying it on console so the PC sales are lower than they would be if released at the same time. They then use the those sales deficiencies, that they have engineered, as the reason for not doing more PC games. It's rigged I tell you, rigged....

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
boyvirgo666 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Wow, what a douche. I'm not even a PC gamer and that guy pisses me off. You couldn't have just politely said no? Instead, he says "I hear you whining, but you are all pirates or cheapskates anyway."
Its a fairly common thing with developers these days. Iv been playing almost everything on PC this year but i have my xbox. Problem is that i dont usually pirate games unless there is no demo and i need to make sure its not a bug ridden mess.
i don't pirate games, and frankly i believe developers pump out all these small pc games
( seriously go cheack ubi's website.. 20+ pages of game titles )
and expect them to all be a hit, and then presume that everyone pirated it instead

they live in a dream world, hell i doubt my savings stretches far enough to buy every single one of ubi's games right now.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BakedZnake said:
TBH I can actually see where producer is coming from. Anyone remember the Humble Indie bundle game pack of Trine, shadow grounds, and couple other well regarded games going for "however much" you want to pay for like anything above $4 for charity towards the earthquake victims in Japan early in the year. $4 you can have 4-5 very good fun games and help out a charity, but within 1 day all those games were leaked onto torrent sites and downloaded by thousands of cheapskates who wouldn't even spend $4 of DRM-free games.

Another game series I love, the witcher, which is also DRM-free and comes with support and free DLC is currently getting pirated to hell. I am primarily a PC gamer and I'm sick and tired of my favourite game developers getting screwed over by piracy.

So I totally understand why a company that does't want to lose money over developing for a platform due to piracy.
You realise Gears of War 3 was leaked to torrent sites - in full - a whole 2 months before it was released? And it has more seeds than Witcher 2. Yes, you can pirate 360 games now and have been able to for some time ever since the first modded console.

Music has been "pirated to hell" as well as film, you don't see musicians and movie studios refusing to release their productions on CD and DVD, as that would do a heck of a lot to stop piracy!

They won't "lose" any money releasing a game on PC. They will only lose money by NOT releasing a game on PC! It's a $200'000 investment for easy $1'000'000 return with the small chance of piracy.

Look, it is hard enough to get games to work with graphics drivers, patches and updates when they are legitimate, the added hassle of piracy is not worth it. Time is money and genuine copies save time. Music began biting back when it started selling music at greater convenience than pirate bay.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Wait isn't there a bigger issue here? I haven't looked up anything about I Am Alive for a year or so but I thought it was suppose to be a survival game with little to no physical violence. I thought the original trailer showed him tossing a water bottle on some broken glass or something. And now he has a bow? And now its an arcade game? What?

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Makes sense. Piracy is so rampant on PC, why bother making single player games on it? It's only worth making multiplayer games as they can't be pirated.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
wow ....

nice dick move there, half assed reasoning though -.-, i wonder how this will effect that new assassin's creed game's sales ...