I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
8bitlove2a03 said:
Thousands of PC gamers steal every single game they own, whine about invasive DRM, and playing games that are blatantly designed for console players, then ***** if a company acknowledges that it's not worth the effort to try and please them? Is this really happening? Ubisoft makes console games for console gamers, then makes a PC port if they think it will make a reasonable amount of money. PC gamers need to get over it, just as I eventually had to get over the fact that Valve (my favourite developer, despite the fact that I'm more or less a console gamer) makes PC games for PC gamers, then occasionally makes a broken console port. This is just how things work.
I don't recall Valve making a broken console port, unless Portal 2 and the Half-Life 2 games were somehow riddled with bugs that I was somehow unaware of. At the very least, never broken, despite bugs.

Secondly, if a developer is going to port a game, they should either do it right or not at all. There is no excuse for releasing games in such shoddy condition. And we should not be enabling that kind of unprofessional behaviour. These developers are not children to be coddled, and we would do well to show them through our wallets that the kind of practices that give rise to these type of games are unacceptable.

Also, that might be a statistic to take pause at, really, -thousands- of gamers steal every single game they own? Oh wow...if you know, there weren't millions of us. :/

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
I wish every company had the attitude of "don't like DRM? fine, we won't publish on PC"
The total death of PC gaming would be the most hilarious day ever where publishers just get fed up with pirates and boycott the PC. Oh it would be glorious.
I would laugh even more when console owners get sh1t next gen consoles as they will no longer have a PC hardware market to nick their hardware from....

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
well to be fair he has a point. Like with any exclusive, people who dont have the correct platform will ***** about it, but this doesnt mean that if it they had the correct platform they would buy it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
Wait isn't there a bigger issue here? I haven't looked up anything about I Am Alive for a year or so but I thought it was suppose to be a survival game with little to no physical violence. I thought the original trailer showed him tossing a water bottle on some broken glass or something. And now he has a bow? And now its an arcade game? What?
They cancelled and re-started the project about 3 times already, it doesn't really seem like they know what the end product goal is.
And no that's never good news for a game.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I seem to be the only person who isn't somehow offended by this. I think its a valid point; there's definitely a certain expectation from PC gamers generally that there should be a version of a game on PC. Whenever a game is console exclusive, there is so much shit thrown in the fan that the repairguy needs a fucking biohazard suit to fix it.

I actually appreciate someone being clear and honest. People wonder why companies, politicians and other entities in the public view lie and obscure the facts. Its because people don't like hearing something they disagree with.

I don't think he's a jerk. He makes a valid point for why PC gamers would ***** (and as evidenced by these comments, they are).

Note: I'm both a console and a PC gamer. I just don't have a stick up my ass about being 'offended'.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Hey if Ubisoft doesn't want my money, I'm more than happy to spend it on used copies of the console version.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Therumancer said:
Well, that's the problem with the gaming industry right there, it's not about making a profit, it's wanting to make monster profits. A "mere" $700k isn't worth their time and that's why people like me are up in their face. I understand te logic but it's what's destroying gaming, especially seeing as it's just about ports of games, but even whether games are made. A few million dollars in profits is something that the industry is increasingly willing to turn it's nose up at because they realize they can make more money by churning out games for the casual crowd as opposed to ones for serious gamers or that advance the medium.
Well businesses rarely aim at breaking even or even making a 10% profit margin. What's destroying gaming is piracy, and it's obvious. If piracy weren't so rampant then companies wouldn't have to adjust their profits for combating piracy and then saying "Fuck it, it's not worth our time and money". If piracy wasn't such a big problem and hot topic then Ubisoft would have said "Hey we can make a bunch of money off this, let's expand our market into PC sales!"

Watch the Extra Credits on piracy. Because of piracy it is harder to get approval for an indie game or anything mold-breaking because it isn't worth their time to make it (like this case) when they can make generic brown shooter 20011 and rake in tons of money. It doesn't help that people are proving this by letting shit like MW3 shatter records when it is fundamentally the same game (same engine, mostly the same guns, same perks, same controls, same graphics, same players). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dsOn06w1s even shows Infinity Ward ripping a building straight out of Call of Duty 4, and I doubt it's the only occurrence.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...And yet they're still making Heroes of Might and Magic. Huh.

So, what is it really? You don't expect the genre to do as well with PC gamers? You don't expect it to do well amidst the current crop of PC games? You have such a low opinion of your own product that you think it's going to take such a shellacking from the console version that by the time the PC version was complete, no one would want it? The cost of always-on networked DRM takes too big a cut from a budget-priced game? You're sore that Ubisoft doesn't have its own digital service yet?

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Baradiel said:
I seem to be the only person who isn't somehow offended by this. I think its a valid point; there's definitely a certain expectation from PC gamers generally that there should be a version of a game on PC. Whenever a game is console exclusive, there is so much shit thrown in the fan that the repairguy needs a fucking biohazard suit to fix it.

I actually appreciate someone being clear and honest. People wonder why companies, politicians and other entities in the public view lie and obscure the facts. Its because people don't like hearing something they disagree with.

I don't think he's a jerk. He makes a valid point for why PC gamers would ***** (and as evidenced by these comments, they are).

Note: I'm both a console and a PC gamer. I just don't have a stick up my ass about being 'offended'.
Agreed.

Piracy is a problem. I dont think I'm the only one whose PC-gaming friends pretty much only pirate games, except multiplayer titles.. And something that always struck me as weird is how they feel theyre so fucking entitled to playing games. Like it's a basic human right. Like they should only pay for games whose developers they like, and then take anything else they want because they feel they've payed what they have to. (Talking about my personal experience with PC-ONLY gamers. The ones I know.) Where's the logic in "I bought a new game today, and since I cant afford the three others I wanted, I can just download them for free, because I've earned it"?

As for console game piracy, that exists too. But seriously, does anyone here think it's even remotely close to PC piracy? For an example, http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_6.html Come to think of it, I only know one person who downloaded gams for his console. And that was a hacked PS2.

With all the aggression us gamers show towards publishers, we shouldnt be so butthurt as soon as the developers bite back. I work in the bar of a restaurant, and the most annoying customers are always the ones who feel theyre completely entitled to everything and thus feel they dont have to treat you like a human being. This guy just sort of responded to all the whining people in any business that provides a service or a product like one oftentimes would want to, but really shouldnt. We should take that into account and not act so fucking upset over a little interview.

Sep 14, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
... Yeah, that pretty much explains ubisoft right there.

Anyone checked piracy figures recently? Notice that some of the most pirated games are actually 360 & PS3 titles?

Eh. It's not even worth discussing anymore at this point. You put in crippling DRM then blame the poor sales on piracy, and insult your potential customers...

Nope, clearly though, it's the piracy that's killing you. >_<
this.

if they took ONE FUCKING LOOK at companies that DON'T punish the customer, they would see the sales on those, and SHOULD think "hm, maybe we should try that? our up the ass anal DRM isn't working out." but nope, they blame all the wrong categories for all the wrong reasons.

i mean sweet jesus, i saw this games early trailer 2 years ago and i was very very interested, but with dickish remarks like that, fuck off ubisoft, i simply wont buy your games anymore.

i mean really, if they sold it on steam for 30-35 bucks, with steams drm and nothing more, i'm sure the game would sell like hot cakes if it was worth it's value by any means.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ubisoft? ... Oh you mean that DRM happy bunch of lazy apes? I don't care what they do or say anymore. They don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
No problem Ubi, I just won't buy it. Same as Assassin's Creed due to your DRM, same as Heroes of Might and Magic, same as Settlers, same as everything you make at the moment. Simple.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Baradiel said:

It isn't what you say, it is how you say it. Ubisoft saying "Stop your bitching and buy the console version," is not how to address this issue. Man, only a total scumbag jerkass would think that's a fine way to talk to your customer-base and any gamer on any system who condones that behavior would be a bigger scumbag jerkass and a total douche with no clue of what is acceptable behavior in a civilized society.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it,"
You'll have to speak up; I can't hear you over the sound of people shovelling money into Activision/Blizzard's bank account.

Here's an easy calculation to do at home:
take the number of people "bitching" at you about the PC release, assume 40% of them will actually purchase the game. Multiply that number by the number of dollars you make on each sale. If this number is higher than the additional development cost for a PC version, then you're losing money. If it's lower, just say that instead of bitching about your fans demanding to spend money on your products.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Hello. I'm a rude, obnoxious **** who doesn't want anyone to buy my game. Thankyou for your time."

Frankly, I would expect every publication to be chasing down this guy and Ubisoft for a response. Enough of just telling us what he's said: tell them what we think of them, their shit attitude, and their stupid fucking DRM.

And THEN tell us what he says to that too.

Too many interviews with developers and publishers these days are just an opportunity for them to advertise. Reminds me of that guy interviewing the Rage developers, and people were claiming he was "being a dick" for questioning them when they gave answers that were contradictory to his time with the game!

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I can agree with the pc community. Its not like there are any pc developers that ever left their Xbox customers out to dry.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
To be frank, this guy can decide what he wants to do, and he has unarguable points. While he is obviously being a complete prick about it, all of you who continue to complain are only proving his point. I'd actually be interested to see some sort of movement like a petition of people who would promise to buy the game on PC. Just to see some numbers y'know? Maybe it could serve as an "oh no look at all the customers we could have had" or something.