I Am Alive Producer Dismisses "Bitching" PC Gamers

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Anyone checked piracy figures recently? Notice that some of the most pirated games are actually 360 & PS3 titles?
Would you share those sources with the rest of us? Because in everything Ive found about the subject, including official studies and comparisons Ive made myself, PC piracy of a game is always at least five times more common than the same game on console.

For an example: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_4.html

Actually, read that whole article. It's really interesting.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Blargh McBlargh said:
Lol, piracy.

A lot less people would pirate games if publishers would knock off the tedious DRM.
What he doesn't understand is that the people who he has just pissed of are going to pirate the game on their 360/ps3 anyway and I am not even going to look at this game when it comes out after this shit

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You realize they're right, right?

PC gamers won't want to buy it.

BECAUSE IT'S UBISOFT.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I don't... I don't care? So what?

DRM/Piracy Chicken/Egg issue aside.

They're running a business their market research shows that it wouldn't be a sound investment so they're not doing it.

Yeah, he doesn't need to use such coarse language but how many people here have fired back their own barbs?

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Sylveria said:
Baradiel said:
I actually appreciate someone being clear and honest. People wonder why companies, politicians and other entities in the public view lie and obscure the facts. Its because people don't like hearing something they disagree with.

I don't think he's a jerk. He makes a valid point for why PC gamers would ***** (and as evidenced by these comments, they are).

Note: I'm both a console and a PC gamer. I just don't have a stick up my ass about being 'offended'.
It isn't what you say, it is how you say it. Ubisoft saying "Stop your bitching and buy the console version," is not how to address this issue. Man, only a total scumbag jerkass would think that's a fine way to talk to your customer-base and any gamer on any system who condones that behavior would be a bigger scumbag jerkass and a total douche with no clue of what is acceptable behavior in a civilized society.
Hmm, do I detect a thinly veiled insult aimed at me? Surely not aimed from a ridiculously high horse too?

And the issue being? That some PC gamers have come to expect, nay, demand that their platform is always catered for? If that is the issue, then those PC gamers need to be told to stop their bitching. If PS3 users complained that they weren't getting Gears of War 3, they'd be told to shut up and look at their own exclusives. Why shouldn't the same reaction be given to pretentious, over-demanding PC gamers?

Fuck his argument about piracy, I don't care about that. Developers and publishers always exaggerate the facts in that regard. And I hate Ubisoft's DRM too, which I accept is a terrible, brutal restriction that does more harm than good.

But the fact that most of the comments on this story are, for want of a better internet term, butthurt over being called out on bitching, is pathetic and not "acceptable behaviour in a civilised society" as you so idealistically put it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Just because of those comments, I hope people pirate it for console too. "Hurr durr we sell for consoles so it automatically sells millions."

Mr. Omega said:
I do think that gamers tend to whine and ***** a lot
Fixed that for you, because you just have to look at news about Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc etc etc to see people complaining.

Just because we moan together doesn't mean we moan the loudest.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
I see where the guy is coming from. Its a fair question to ask, would people have cared about the game if they released it on PC too? Or are they just complaining because somebody was dismissive of the PC platform?

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
Even though my main platform are the consoles, I'm still not getting this game because it will be terrible.

ElectrifiedSorcerer

Apr 8, 2011
This is really frustrating news for me, because I was looking forward to playing 'I am Alive', but the developer appears to be a *edit* class act . I suppose I'll have to play it while ignoring the fact that it's being released by people who somehow lack access to the internet

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6471/the_valve_way_gabe_newell_and_.php?page=4
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/23/cthulhu-saves-the-world-bundle-drives-100k-insane-on-steam/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2028-Estimating-Skyrim-PC-sales-from-concurrent-players-on-Steam

Make a proper PC port and people will buy your game. There are pirates on the PC, but there are far more than enough players to make any investment back. I assume being in the games business they'd look into this sort of thing.

Ultimately, PC gamers aren't 'whining' because they've been excluded. They really wanted to play the game and - judging by the fact that Steam hasn't gone belly up - a surprising amount of them would have paid Ubisoft for it. This would have more than covered any expense they'd incur in porting it.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
ace_of_something said:
I don't... I don't care? So what?

DRM/Piracy Chicken/Egg issue aside.

They're running a business their market research shows that it wouldn't be a sound investment so they're not doing it.

Yeah, he doesn't need to use such coarse language but how many people here have fired back their own barbs?
This.

Most PC gamers acting so butthurt have used much fouler language. All Ubi is doing is following sound business practices. If you think that because you have a PC you need to be catered to then let me speak for Ubisoft and say you can fuck right off and stop being so entitled you twats.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, well I didn't want his shitty game anyway! I'll just have to keep playing Skyrim, oh woe is me...

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Stubee said:
Ubisoft games always get pirated to shit or torn a new one by the pc community because of DRM. Dont blame them for giving the PC a big middle finger.
Yeah but they are a gaming company and should not cop a "Take may ball and go home" attitude because some trolls called them names. It really comes down to having a "its not personal its business" attitude when dealing with the customer base.

conelrad

Apr 25, 2011
I think that Ubisoft has the right to choose how and in what form they sell their product. If they don't want to sell on PC - fine, nothing I can do. Take my money elsewhere.

What does get me is the treatment of their consumer base. Can anybody think of any other industry treating their consumers so (outright) aggressively? I don't see Coke PRs publicly grumbling about bringing back Vanilla. This is the sort of attitude that reminds me most game developers have a long way to go before we can call the entire industry a 'professional' one.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I was going to say this seems unfair but it just is unfair. As far as the game goes I think this might be the first time I've heard of it that or it was mentioned once yonks ago and I forgot about it.

Aug 25, 2009
Didn't the Escapist just have an article about how ridiculous the numbers for PC piracy? A quick search reveals some companies claiming that only 10% of usage is legal, others saying it's more like half.

PC Gamers have no one to blame but themselves. If the culture of PC gaming is to pirate everything (and I think when the numbers go past a quarter you're into 'culture' instead of 'isolated individuals') then of course developers are going to ignore you. SEGA claimed back in September that if piracy rates of one of their games dropped by even a quarter they would double their profits, and those are numbers that can't be ignored by big name developers.

It's not about breaking even, it's about profit, and if you pirate 50-90% of a company's output they will not even break even.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It's funny how games that are made really well for PC end up selling millions of copies while shitty ports end up doing horrible and then piracy gets blamed. Sure, maybe people did pirate it... but maybe that's because every source that already bought it said it was the worst pile of crap port ever? I mean it's not like Skyrim has nearly 300k users per day on PC, and it wasn't multi-platform...

Oh, wait.

Ok, let's look at Battlefield 3.
http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/battlefield-3-xbox-360-sales-top-playstation-3-and-pc-combined/
500k copies sold on PCin a week? Not including digital downloads (at least from Origin)? Hmm... there must be teh pirates!

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
This actually makes me want to pirate all of their games from the past and from now on.

Also, way to tell the people how good your game is and how confident you are of it . 50k units, nice.

Problem is, honest PC gamers that buy their products, have no fault in the piracy situation and I don't see what they could do to change things.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I'm sorry how does the PC side whine and ***** more then the console side? If anything we are at least equals in that area...

And I know for a fact that if this game ever would see a PC release it would have a balls to the walls, screw-you-for-buying-our-game-why-didn't-you-pirate-it?! DRM which would make all of us run away in fear.