I am so sick of entitlement

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
3,029
0
0
Elementlmage said:
J03bot said:
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
Technically it means fear of the same.
Ahhh, I see what you did there... or did you?
Did I what? I don't see what I did there, and now I'm worried about it... I was just being pedantic in greek.
 

Mute52

New member
Sep 22, 2009
328
0
0
StBishop said:
Lilani said:
StBishop said:
Epic and Fail. Together or on their own. Both are bad and we need to move on.

I'm pretty hipster about it because they use to be cool before everything became EPIC! or FAIL! or EPIC FAIL lol!
Aha! And THAT is exactly what I was talking about in my post. That may just be a typo, but saying "use to" instead of "used to" is also a common mistake that bothers me to no end.
*sadface* It's a typo. Sorry.
Wow what a fail

/i hate it too
 

thiosk

New member
Sep 18, 2008
5,410
0
0
The one that really grates is irregardless.
You've taken a word, regardless, that has the same meaning as "irregardless" and added a redundant prefix.

Peter Griffen said:
Its NUKULAR, dummy, the "s" is silent.
 

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
1,215
0
0
Ninja Tank said:
Any word said by a person not knowing what the meaning off the word.
I might choose to think this was an intentional joke, if you weren't also missing the word "is."

OT: Whenever someone uses the wrong homonym:

then/than
to/too/two
effect/affect
your/you're

and so on...
 

Rin Little

New member
Jul 24, 2011
432
0
0
Bling... that word makes me want to punch people in the face. The fact that it's actually a word in the dictionary now makes me ragingly angry >.<
 

Orcus The Ultimate

New member
Nov 22, 2009
3,216
0
0
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.

we should replace it with:
Spectacular !
 

geK0

New member
Jun 24, 2011
1,846
0
0
It drives me insane when people use the word "ew" out of context!!

"ew I know him!"
"what? do you not like him?"
"he's one of my best friends, why wouldn't I like him?"
 

xdom125x

New member
Dec 14, 2010
672
0
0
"Irony", mainly because people are using it in the place of "appropriate" or "coincidental".

tikalal said:
Zoomy said:
People who express how little they care about something with "I could care less". No, you fools, it's couldn't.
I think they mean they care so little it's impossible to care any less. Seems fine to me.
But if they meant that, they would have said "I couldn't care less". If somebody says that they "could care less", they are saying that they care about the subject at hand and therefore could care less.
I find people saying "I could care less" annoying because they are saying the exact opposite of what they mean and they aren't saying it sarcastically.
Biosophilogical said:
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
Personally, I just hate the lack of a simple term meaning "Discrimination based upon sexual orientation". I mean, we have racism, but homosexuals aren't really a 'race', we have sexism, but it is a sexual orientation, not a sex, homoism would just be weird and homosexualism is just a large and clunky sounding word, and it would never catch on because everyone is already using homophobe.

I do like the word bigot, but it seems to broad.
-mini snip-
Couldn't we just use a term in the ballpark of "sexualism", for the sake of bluntness? It also happens to have a Wikipedia page basically using your definition (not that that means much).
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
I agree. People use the word entitlement so much that it's losing its meaning. Anyone who airs a legitimate complaint is met with "You're just entitled!".

Great discussion and critical thinking skills, folks.
 

OneNooneKnows

New member
Jul 2, 2011
19
0
0
Troll. People flinging that word around various forums like god knows what.

A disagreeing opinion does not equal troll, jesus christ have I seen people do that SO many times, and it's just...

It stops any intention of a decent conversation.

Same for 'u mad brah/u jelly/etc'

It's fine to have fun, but some people are just retarded beyond salvation I guess, spoiling it for the rest.

/rant off
 

Gitty101

New member
Jan 22, 2010
960
0
0
So sick of the word 'Compensation'. It's all over the TV here in the UK these days. Gone are the days where the 'Sue Culture' was restricted to the USA, now it seems everybody is trying to sue and recieve compensation for the smallest of things.
 

Elementlmage

New member
Aug 14, 2009
316
0
0
J03bot said:
Elementlmage said:
J03bot said:
blaqknoise said:
'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.
Technically it means fear of the same.
Ahhh, I see what you did there... or did you?
Did I what? I don't see what I did there, and now I'm worried about it... I was just being pedantic in greek.
You know...projection, insecurity, internalization... kmon, you made a funny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia#Internalized_homophobia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego-dystonic_sexual_orientation

What I am trying to say is that there is a homophobic sub-set that is homophobic in order to hide the fact that they are homosexual or fear their own sexuality. I was trying to point out your bit of (unintentional) irony.
 
Mar 28, 2011
427
0
0
When people say "He went hypo!"

You mean Hyper! HYPER!

My mother is diabetic I HAVE to know the difference between HYPOglycemic and HYPERglycemic
 

AperioContra

New member
Aug 4, 2011
103
0
0
"Hate", "Am Sick Of," "Tired of Hearing," All words that I generally dismiss because of the lack of substance the overuse has rendered it to.
 
Mar 28, 2011
427
0
0
xdom125x said:
"Irony", mainly because people are using it in the place of "appropriate" or "coincidental".

tikalal said:
Zoomy said:
People who express how little they care about something with "I could care less". No, you fools, it's couldn't.
I think they mean they care so little it's impossible to care any less. Seems fine to me.
But if they meant that, they would have said "I couldn't care less". If somebody says that they "could care less", they are saying that they care about the subject at hand and therefore could care less.
I find people saying "I could care less" annoying because they are saying the exact opposite of what they mean and they aren't saying it sarcastically.
quote]

I agree with this guy.


David Mitchell is my personal hero. One of them anyway.
 

Carbonic Penguin

New member
Jul 7, 2009
467
0
0
canadamus_prime said:
Because it defies what I know of the english language, namely that words are supposed to have VOWELS in them in order to actually be considered words, and that's not counting prefixes and suffixes.
What about rhythm? But I guess 'y' is considered a semi-vowel or something...

Random Encounter said:
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but 'Hipster'.

I have never seen a Hipster in real life.
That's because life is too mainstream for Hipsters.

OT: I hate when people bring internet speak into real life. Especially LOOOOOOL... especially when they don't laugh. Especially when it's just a monotone 'ROFL' with no smile.
 

Eggbert

New member
Jun 9, 2010
161
0
0
"Ironic" does not mean bad luck. Ten thousand spoons when you need a fork isn't ironic. It's spending all your money on spoons like a retard. Irony is when the opposite of what you expect occurs. Or when you say one thing, and mean another, also known as sarcasm. Or, in fiction, when the reader is aware of something that characters are not aware of which is currently relevant.

Getting run over by an ambulance is ironic, because ambulances are used to save lives. Also, it's good luck if the ambulance is empty.
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had excellent writing," is ironic, and I won't explain why.
If Jon died in the hospital, and we cut to Henry saying, "Man, I sure hope Jon's getting better after being hit by that ambulance," it's ironic. Because Jon died, and Henry should probably be told that.

God, that builds rants in me.
 

Smithburg

New member
May 21, 2009
454
0
0
Orcus The Ultimate said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.

we should replace it with:
Spectacular !
Or Fantastic, just don't forget to say it like Dr. Who! lol



geK0 said:
It drives me insane when people use the word "ew" out of context!!

"ew I know him!"
"what? do you not like him?"
"he's one of my best friends, why wouldn't I like him?"

I think they're saying it like "Oooh"