I am so sick of entitlement

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Irony/Ironic

Nobody, and I mean nobody seems to know the proper way to use it.
Irony is an outcome that is contrary to what was expected, or words used to convey a meaning that's the opposite of its expected use. It is not seeing someone you didn't expect to see while you were out, and it's not a surprise joke you didn't expect. GAH!

Jun 16, 2010
Kargathia said:
Eggbert said:
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had excellent writing," is ironic, and I won't explain why.
Don't want to be a twat, but isn't saying one thing when you clearly mean something else sarcasm? (Not a rhetorical question)
Sarcasm is basically a subset of irony. Irony is saying one thing, and meaning something else ("Doing taxes, eh? Looks like fun!"), sarcasm is using irony to taunt or insult someone ("Doing taxes, eh? You're a barrel of fun you are.")

However, the statement "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had excellent writing" could be both sarcastic and ironic, just ironic, or not ironic at all depending on the context.

Mar 31, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.
So I'm not the only person who sees it as a adjective based on the word "awe"? It's sorta strange to see "awe" so much more powerful than "awesome" when they're tje same word

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
emo

its been used to the point where anyone with any issues is labeled emo

"my mother died" YOURE AN EMO!!!
"my parents are getting a divorce" EMO!!!
"im paralyzed for life" GO KILL YOURSELF EMO!!!

the middle ones the only example ive seen/heard. i pray to God no ones ever labeled someone an "emo" for the other two examples

Arontala said:
Freedom of Speech. No, you troglodyte, freedom of speech does not let you to physically, or verbally abuse someone. When you threaten to "rape that gay ******, then kill him" online, I'm fairly certain that you could get arrested.
they can but they can then hire an ACLU lawyer and be back online doing it again

Sep 14, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.
Susan Arendt said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

Couldn't agree more. It's a lazy way of describing things. I don't mind it in everyday speech, but in writing, it drives me insane.

like dis?

OT:

I don't really get annoyed by specific words, but the way people say them usually.

such as:

people over enunciating every single syllable in sentences. There was this girl who was a TA for speech and was the speech captain at our college, and our teacher was in tears at how good her speech was while i sat there freaking out like a crazy in a strait jacket thinking "WTF, SHE IS AWFUL, DID NO ONE ELSE HEAR THAT!?!?!?"

or

when people HAVE to put some kind of big word at the beginning of EVERY single one of their sentences. such as

"Intuitively, my car will pay itself off because of its hybrid electric power in 5 years" or "Concurrently, our weather is a mirror fitting to my mood this afternoon."

every once in a while doesn't bug me, but when you have to start off EVERY DAMN sentence that way, ugh it gets on my nerves.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
lol. Actually, any leetspeak. It's an awful way to type. I only use it when I'm being ironic, and even then I have to go wash my hands.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

I would much prefer if people used "Capital idea, dear chum!"

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Kargathia said:
Eggbert said:
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had excellent writing," is ironic, and I won't explain why.
Don't want to be a twat, but isn't saying one thing when you clearly mean something else sarcasm? (Not a rhetorical question)
Sarcasm is basically a subset of irony. Irony is saying one thing, and meaning something else ("Doing taxes, eh? Looks like fun!"), sarcasm is using irony to taunt or insult someone ("Doing taxes, eh? You're a barrel of fun you are.")

However, the statement "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had excellent writing" could be both sarcastic and ironic, just ironic, or not ironic at all depending on the context.
Cheers. Even though generally I'm not too bad at the applied use of language this particular distinction had eluded me for a while now.

EDIT: Even though you're technically correct I'd definitely hate to imagine any context where above-mentioned sentence is not ironic.

Double A said:
lol. Actually, any leetspeak. It's an awful way to type. I only use it when I'm being ironic, and even then I have to go wash my hands.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

I would much prefer if people used "Capital idea, dear chum!"
Personally I've found "lol" to be quite useful at times, especially when combined with a full stop. It rather efficiently signifies that you can't be arsed to show any interest beyond the pressing of three different buttons. Think of it as the text-friendly version of the British "very interesting.".

And while I certainly would love to hear "Capital idea, dear chum!" a bit more often, it would grow stale with use, just as "awesome".

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Hydro14 said:
'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.
Words can have more than one meaning.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/decimate

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
Hides His Eyes said:
Strictly speaking it means to kill one in ten of a population, I think. That's why it's DECimation. But people just use it to mean fuck something up.
Hm, when I checked the dictionary the 1 in 10 thing was actually lower than the other definitions. I've never heard the 1 in 10 thing before, actually.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
aprildog18 said:
Zantos said:
Aluminium. What is the problem with the five syllables? Honestly :(
That's because the United States have it spelled "Aluminum". We like to dumb down things.
Wrong. It was originally pre-dumbed down by its British discoverer, who spelled it "aluminum". Then a different panel of British chemists decided to put the "i" in it. There were then a shitload of different publications using different spellings, and the US just stuck with the first. Or whichever they came across first.

In any case, for as much shit as the Brits give us for mispronouncing words, this is the one exception I relish. THEY'RE doing it wrong for a change.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Pandalink said:
Hides His Eyes said:
Strictly speaking it means to kill one in ten of a population, I think. That's why it's DECimation. But people just use it to mean fuck something up.
Hm, when I checked the dictionary the 1 in 10 thing was actually lower than the other definitions. I've never heard the 1 in 10 thing before, actually.
It's the origin of the word: the Roman punishment for mutiny - where straws were drawn, and one man in ten was stoned to death by his comrades. Apparently the effect on a unit was more important to remember than how exactly that effect was achieved.

"Decem" simply means "10" in Latin.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I get stroppy when someone uses 'of' where they should have used 'have' -- would of/should of vs. would have/should have. I can appreciate why, due to verbal contractions, they believe that ... but the simple fact is it's wrong. And there's always some apologetic wanker who claims 'but but English is an evolving language .. it's not wrong, it's just new!'. Bullshit. Piss off. It's wrong. You're wrong. Go to hell.

To make matters worse, the same people are liable to use 'then' instead of 'than'.

Also, anything along the lines of 'whatever' as an argument closer. It's like JD saying "so's your face," and claiming it always works.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I hate when people use hugely descriptive words to describe something... not so much. 'epic' comes to mind. Maddox put it best, actually:
http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

I use the words 'obliterate', 'massacre' and 'incinerate' probably more liberally than I should, but I do my best to assign them appropriately.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
RaikuFA said:
they can but they can then hire an ACLU lawyer and be back online doing it again
No I interned with the DEAs office in Florida for awhile, it's actually very common (especially over Facebook) and results in lots of easy to win cases. The sentences usually include probation of computer usage and will result in jail time if broken.

It's not hard either, as long as the website has a log of the threat and keeps IP addresses, they will normally comply with law enforcement (laws tend to be especially harsh since the cyber bullies is the new 'in thing' to fight).

On Topic:
"Liberal controlled media", Fox should stop saying the libs control the media when they've controlled it for some time now, or at least a large portion.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Awesome.

I think this clip will make you laugh

OT: I got nothing, seriously i got nothing One of my friend over uses the word "Yeah" a lot but other than that their is only "epic" being used in the wrong context but that's only in the lower realms of internet and human species.

Professor Idle

Aug 21, 2009
When you say something perfectly rational and people say "Um....okay?" With that HORRIBLE fucking inflection.

It physically drains me...

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Hydro14 said:
'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.
I can agree with that, every time I hear some group was decimated (and everyone was killed) I either spend 5 minutes yelling at the TV or 5 minutes explaining what decimate means to the people around me.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
"Ironic".

Specifically, when people (read: hipsters) use the word as a state of being. You can't "be" ironic. You can do something that is ironic because of a situation, but saying "I'm being ironic" makes no sense gramatically and all of the other misuses of the word drive me apeshit.

I don't know whether to blame Alanis Morrisette or who what have you, but argh. The word you're looking for is "sarcastic", people. Bad grammar is not cool. ;-;