I am starting to hate The Wilhelm Scream

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Ever since Star Wars used it, a vast majority of film, television, animation, and video games felt the need to incorporate this completely out of place scream.

Recently I was watching Kingdom of Heaven by Ridley Scott, and in the middle of the Siege Battle for Jerusalem, I heard a Wilhelm Scream. It completely took me out of the mood watching the movie because Kingdom of Heaven isn't a humorous/lighthearted movie. Its serious, bloody, and moody.

But I also conceed that you can still use the Wilhelm Scream, just use it where its appropriate because the scream now feels like a joke, a punchline. It has no business in a movie like Kingdom of Heaven.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I am experiencing Deja Vu right now. Wasn't there an exactly the same thread posted here some time ago?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I remember watching an MST3K of some 80s Swamp monster movie and one of the guys gets eaten by a alligator, and they played it and it was actually appropriate because the name of the audio file is "Man gets eaten by an alligator".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I find it funny personally, even if it's in a weird place. I invariably shout out "Wilhelm! Nooooo!' whenever I spot it in a film, which makes my wife giggle.

I appreciate it breaking your immersion, as that's a fair criticism depending on the film's tone, but personally I'm fine with it.