I Care A Lot

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Really, "the feminists", eh? All of them, with their 100% stranglehold on the movie reviews industry?

A generalization, but it is pretty much the new normal. There’s a logical reason why younger men are increasingly opting out of traditional familial endeavors, and it’s because there’s no real incentive left to choose that lifestyle. Women today have the advantages in marriage and divorce, including when kids are unfortunately involved in those situations.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A generalization, but it is pretty much the new normal. There’s a logical reason why younger men are increasingly opting out of traditional familial endeavors, and it’s because there’s no real incentive left to choose that lifestyle.
Maybe they're opting out of familial endeavours because there's a bunch of griping men aggressively telling them it's all hopeless, the world's unfair and they may as well just give up, when they could put some hard work in and better themselves. Lots of them seem to love Jordan Peterson, and he's certainly telling them to take some responsibility and tidy their rooms.

I get that it's tougher that the world's moved on, and now women can get jobs and do things themselves so there isn't the same host of them who'll settle for deadbeats just so they have a roof over their heads. One would hope it would drive self-improvement, not slacking off and tuning out.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Nothing helps me wake up in the morning better than some 20+ minute culture warrior rambling against the latest movie to star a non-fetishized woman.
Really that's what you took from that video? Seriously?
Because at no point is that said.
Hell technically she would count as a fetishised woman as she comes off as an absolute uncaring asshole and well some dudes are into that, or at least based on certain female twitch streamers and the way they treat their chat some people are lol

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'd also mention that there's less societal demand to get married and have a family. A lot of men are simply not going to want to do that, and that's increasingly acceptable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Maybe they're opting out of familial endeavours because there's a bunch of griping men aggressively telling them it's all hopeless, the world's unfair and they may as well just give up, when they could put some hard work in and better themselves. Lots of them seem to love Jordan Peterson, and he's certainly telling them to take some responsibility and tidy their rooms.

I get that it's tougher that the world's moved on, and now women can get jobs and do things themselves so there isn't the same host of them who'll settle for deadbeats just so they have a roof over their heads. One would hope it would drive self-improvement, not slacking off and tuning out.

Effort is kinda beside the point that laws are currently far from impartial; where judging a person as...a person based purely on character vs gender doesn’t seem to be a part of the equation. At least not to the degree it should be.

Having said that, sure there are a lot of deadbeats who have deeper issues than relationship imbalances. It happens on both sides though; for every deadbeat, wife beating husband there could be a spoiled brat entitled woman making a career out of scheming men, or at the very least treating them like a doormat. Society conditions modern men to be submissive and even emasculated to some extent, which doesn’t do much for confidence or the will to succeed in life.

I overheard my neighbors daughter talking with her friends in their backyard. One girl said her sister just got married but was planning to be divorced soon. She said she wanted to get married and have a wedding because it was on her bucket list but was never really crazy about the guy. She was gonna leave him in a few months.

It’s been said that modern feminism gave women all the advantages of being a man with none of the accountability, and this seems to be especially prevalent in the west.

Stories like this give me hope though -

That is how feminism should be to me. The pendulum needs to stop swinging to either extreme and arrive at more of an equilibrium so we can all be better off.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That reads more like an immigrant success story to me. I mean nice fuckin' work, but its a fairly generic hard work success story.

Well yeah, but some excerpts -

Part of the reason she wanted to get into the space field was to prove some family members wrong.

"I wanted my — especially the males of my own family — to recognize that women add value," she said, adding, "it came from wanting to prove to them that we matter."

However, her motivations would later evolve as a college student. She remembered being on the line to declare her major at the University of Florida and not knowing what she wanted to do. When Trujillo reached the dean, she saw a magazine that had images of female astronauts, a space shuttle and Earth — and that was when she picked aerospace engineering as her major. She also noticed the line was filled with people who didn't speak Spanish nor looked Hispanic, and she was one of the few women on the queue.

According to the Student Research Foundation, Hispanics hold only 8% of the STEM workforce — of which Hispanic women only comprise 2%. Trujillo believes the way to break the glass ceiling is to have more role models. That influenced her decision to be host of NASA's first-ever Spanish language broadcast for a planetary landing last Thursday. The show was called "Juntos perseveramos," or "Together we persevere," and it garnered more than 2.5 million views on YouTube

She believes more visibility of Latinos in STEM will allow families to encourage younger members to follow in those steps, rather than stereotypical roles men and women have been told to follow.

Trujillo hopes to one day reach space, but she feels a special calling in helping bring more women in science and engineering.

Considering her humble origins, it’s pretty significant. Also those same origins apparently helped her keep focus, and could be considered an advantage in a way over the cynical mentality that most westerners possess. That’s the symptom of another larger problem with domestic values and overall lackluster educational system leading up to college though too.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well yeah, but some excerpts -

Part of the reason she wanted to get into the space field was to prove some family members wrong.

"I wanted my — especially the males of my own family — to recognize that women add value," she said, adding, "it came from wanting to prove to them that we matter."

However, her motivations would later evolve as a college student. She remembered being on the line to declare her major at the University of Florida and not knowing what she wanted to do. When Trujillo reached the dean, she saw a magazine that had images of female astronauts, a space shuttle and Earth — and that was when she picked aerospace engineering as her major. She also noticed the line was filled with people who didn't speak Spanish nor looked Hispanic, and she was one of the few women on the queue.

According to the Student Research Foundation, Hispanics hold only 8% of the STEM workforce — of which Hispanic women only comprise 2%. Trujillo believes the way to break the glass ceiling is to have more role models. That influenced her decision to be host of NASA's first-ever Spanish language broadcast for a planetary landing last Thursday. The show was called "Juntos perseveramos," or "Together we persevere," and it garnered more than 2.5 million views on YouTube

She believes more visibility of Latinos in STEM will allow families to encourage younger members to follow in those steps, rather than stereotypical roles men and women have been told to follow.

Trujillo hopes to one day reach space, but she feels a special calling in helping bring more women in science and engineering.

Considering her humble origins, it’s pretty significant. Also those same origins apparently helped her keep focus, and could be considered an advantage in a way over the cynical mentality that most westerners possess. That’s the symptom of another larger problem with domestic values and a lackluster education system though too.
A mid tier soul like me does not get to question the motivations about people who remote pilot fucking spacecraft - that is simply not a privilege I get. But its been a thing for a while now that STEM is gender lopsided, by my reading here she's doing more in general for Spanish speaking people with an interest. Which hey, I'll fucking take: more people studying math and engineering the better for my money.