I Choose to Blow Dudes

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Spence Thompson said:
What if I just choose to suck cock?
Nobody wakes up and says "what a beautiful day, i think i'm into dudes now", right ?
This guy [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2058921/Chris-Birch-stroke-Rugby-player-wakes-gay-freak-gym-accident.html?ito=feeds-newsxml] did.

Daily Mail said:
When 19-stone rugby player Chris Birch suffered a stroke during a freak training accident, his family feared it would be a life-changing injury.

Yet while his recovery certainly brought about a transformation, it seems to have been in a way no one could have expected.

For when he regained consciousness, the 26-year-old - who was engaged to his girlfriend - claimed he had become gay.

And Mr Birch certainly has no regrets about his transformation. "I'm nothing like the old Chris now but I wouldn't change a thing," he said.
So, no, it's not a common occurrence, but it does happen.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
JesterRaiin said:
Spence Thompson said:
What if I just choose to suck cock?
Nobody wakes up and says "what a beautiful day, i think i'm into dudes now", right ?
This guy [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2058921/Chris-Birch-stroke-Rugby-player-wakes-gay-freak-gym-accident.html?ito=feeds-newsxml] did.
Sorry, I'm not convinced. Everyone can pretend that something changed him in some way, but it doesn't mean he speaks truth. :)

mithical

Dec 29, 2011
"I Choose to Blow Dudes"
Well that is a good way to get someone's attention.

"I resent the idea that homosexuality is some condition that is the ultimate result of some less-than-ideal condition in the womb or the environment or my genes or the function of my brain, or whatever."
When you use 'less-than-ideal' here you're implying here that those who think sexual preference is not a choice also think that homosexuality is less than ideal. I believe there are far fewer people who feel that way than those who don't. Also this is not a great way to start convincing people of your case.

"What if I just choose to suck cock? What if I just like dick better than pussy? What if, in an absurd expression of the very kind of macho anti-feminism endemic to video game culture, I just prefer to get off with guys rather than ladies?"
First off, getting off with dudes would not be an expression of the 'macho' attitude that plagues video games. Hangin' out with dudes, drinkin' beer with dudes, playin' sports with dudes, macho. Gettin' off with dudes, not macho. Also, the people who really make up video game culture, the sort of people who sign up for a forum and discuss them, usually find that macho stuff distasteful, but that's a different topic.

Back on topic, in my experience most people will tell you they did not choose to be attracted to one sex or another. I mean MOST. Like, almost ALL people. And not just sexual orientation but one's preferences in general. Actually you are the first person I've ever heard claim they got to choose what they like. That doesn't mean I don't believe you but you have to admit it does seem to lend itself to the idea that you are simply confused about what you like and what role you may or may not have had in determining it.

"I mean, it's not as if my sexual history with women is nil. And it's not as if there aren't things about it I don't appreciate. But I dunno, being queer as fuck is just tons more fun."
What do you find fun about it? The sorts of things I think of would be acting the stereotypical, flamboyant gay man. I'm talking bright, fitted, outrageous clothing, an extroverted, in your face, fear nothing attitude, and nothing but cheers and smiles forever. I can see how this could be fun. This has nothing to do with your sexual orientation, however. You could do all of this, with or without all your gay friends, and not be gay. So what was it that made you choose to be gay? Could you choose to be straight later, if you wanted?

"And attractive men tend to be not near as inaccessible as attractive women. The odds are simply more favorable. As often as I'm approached by an attractive woman at these clubs (as they've started flocking here to avoid the straight guys, anyway) I might already have been approached by three men who are just as if not more attractive, and more sexually versatile."
So part of why you chose to be gay is because the way you act tends to attract men instead of women? Practical, I suppose. If only I could choose who to love in a similar fashion. Are there any other reasons you chose gay?

"Maybe that makes me a "******," and I'm sure a lot of people are just going to say "Dude but you're bisexual that's just science!!" but I'm being practical here. If the inevitable conclusion of this preference is that I'm likely going to find a guy and want to settle down with him, or run a business with him, or live with him, or do any of the things casual partners who might become serious lovers do, why should I be denied any those legal rights simply because I preferred not to do it with any attractive lady?"
Your first sentence doesn't really have anything to do with the second. In your first sentence you propose an argument against yours, one that has popped up many times already, but then you only address it by saying "I'm being practical here." and leaving it at that. Those of us who didn't choose to be the way we are didn't have a chance to be practical. This doesn't make the argument any less valid and really doesn't help your case.

As for your second sentence, I think most of us here are in agreement. As was already said, you're kind of preaching to the choir here, not that you could really know we were in the choir until you started preaching. There are some people who might benefit from hearing you, but they aren't going to hear from here.

"Many people are for these rights, but they seem to be so only because a heterosexual relationship simply isn't manageable because of my genes, or the function of my brain, or my mother's diet while I was in the womb, or whatever."
I believe you're wrong here, but I don't have any numbers to back that up, just my experience. Most people I encounter online and in real life believe gays should have those rights just because they are people. I am just as put off by those who support equal rights because 'it's not their fault' as I am by those who don't support equal rights at all. Like I said though, I believe we're talking about a small minority here.

"These same people will decry conversion camps, but these very camps are encouraged by the line of reasoning that homosexuality is a condition arising from some to-be-discovered factors. Thinking of homosexuality as a condition, and not something a reasonable, rational, adult person might choose to engage in, is the mindset that encourages people to "cure" and to "fix.""
'One's preferences are not determined by choice' and 'homosexuality is wrong and should be fixed' are completely separate ideas. You attached the word 'condition' to the former idea (essentially 'One's condition is not determined by choice') and that word has a negative connotation to it. It implies something is wrong, something that could be fixed or cured. When you attach that word to the idea, you are attaching 'homosexuality is wrong and should be fixed' as well.

"The religious right argue that homosexuality is a "choice," and when public opinion was strongest against homosexuality it was certainly beneficial to point discover and highlight some of the possible origins for same-sex sexual attraction. Biology certainly does have a significant effect on anyone's taste for anything- but it can't and shouldn't be used to explain every single possible instance of same-sex sexual expression, which certainly goes well beyond and public and avowed homosexuals such as myself."
Why shouldn't biology explain everyone's preferences? That's like saying physics shouldn't explain every instance of movement. Part of what science is about is discovering universal truths. Sure, sometimes we're wrong and sometimes there are exceptions (looking at you, photons), but that's only after evidence to the contrary is found. You haven't given anything other than your own word that it does not apply to you. You can imagine why I am not likely to believe you.

"Shouldn't we just accept that gay sex is just, itself, great? Not for everybody, certainly. Wouldn't give cashews to someone with a peanut allergy. But in general, among whoever's doing it, gay sex is pretty awesome. And ought not be culturally discouraged or legally discriminated against in any way."
People shouldn't agree gay sex is awesome for the same reason people shouldn't agree apples are better than oranges; Variety is the spice of life. You're just going to have to accept that some people will disagree with you on this one. As for legal discrimination, I think we're all on board on that one, even if it is only tangentially related to the idea of preference being a choice.

Sorry for the TLDR; My thanks to anyone who reads it all!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Of course its a condition. You dont one day get out of bed and say "You know what? Im going to start liking giving blowjobs today!" That happens very rarely. For most people, its not a choice. They can choose not to act out their fantasy, but they cant choose to not be turned on by something or turned off by something else.
So are some people just born wanting to have sex with animals or corpses?
well...they come to realisation tha...so Id say yeah

just like people are into all kinds of kinky/freaky shit...can anyone really explain WHY? *shrug* I dont know

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Fappy said:
God I love this thread title. Anyway I think many homosexuals (strictly speaking of males here) are weird because many of them engage in and like anal. Now I realize gay men are not the only ones who play the back-9, but honestly giving or receiving... I just... poop comes out of there!
What do you think comes out of the penis? What plumbing is right next to the vagina? Its all gross when you think about it like that.
Its worth considering that biological and physiological conditioning can cause one to prefer same sex. You may of been born this way or had a really bad relationship with a woman (possibly your mother) This is all according to science and yet truthfully they are generally making educated guesses.

I agree too many people care too much about some things that have no affect on them. Really, gays marrying causes an uproar of such massive proportions that gays have been murdered. But a chick marries a building and it barely causes a stir ([link]http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/01/31/Woman-marries-Seattle-building/UPI-76851328042540/[/link])

-shakes head-

Theres a song that was made famous from a tv show that fits well here.

"You shut your mouth
how dare you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does"

Thats all gays are, human. Both gay kids and adults cry, laugh, and enjoy good sex. Just like the rest of us.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Vault101 said:
tzimize said:
BloatedGuppy said:
I dunno. Fellatio seems like a lot of work. It's cool that you like it and everything, but I'm going to have to give it a pass.
:D

And for some content...I dont really have much to add. I just loved this post.

Edit: AH! Some content!

Vault101 said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Im not a fan of most womens personality and I find most them to be very annoying. As a straight male, I have to endure it to get laid and have a relationship. What I don't like is the fact that our society see's marriage as being this sacred vessel that flew down from the heavens. This is usually when I bring up the fact that most marriages between guys and gals ends in divorce.
soo..are you saying...

"Im not a fan of most women, personally"

OR

"I'm not a fan of most womens personalitys"

because I call bullshit on the Idea you can generalise peoples personalitys based on their gender
Imo you CAN generalize peoples personalitys based on their gender. It is impossible to say that ALL women/men are like this or that...but I think its entirely possible to say most or at least very many. We are different. In many ways. Why not also personality? In my experience at least, guys are a LOT more interesting than women. And thats kind of a problem for me, because I'm hetero. I'm sure its the other way around for a lot of women.

Women in general have stupid, boring tastes and interest. That is my experience at least. And I mean no offense to any women reading. I'm sure you're a nice, interesting person. Its just that my personal experience has taught me that women are...not as cool as men :)
well....if I were to look at it based COMPLETLY on typical gender steryotypes (the most typical insufferable kind), for both genders then maybe

Women:
-fashion
-celebrity gossup
-horrible horrible magazines
-daytime television
-horrible horrible movies
-horrible horrible books (you know what Im talking about)

Men
-sports...just fucking sports
-shows to do with sports
-an obsession with "dick waving" competitions
-cars
-stupid deoderant comercials
-stupid dumb action movies (the stupid dumb ones..not the good ones)
-ruling the world so that everything is geared towards them (entertainmentwise...do you think I LIKE romantic comedys? you sexist fucks! <-purly in jest, no offence ment)

now obviouly Im a little biased since alot of my interests sway slightly to the male side of things...but from my perspective both genders can be as boring as each other (I mean purley on speculation, would you like to hang out with some jock/douche bag?)
Of course not.

But stereotypes are usually stereotypes for a reason. Which is why I feel its ok to generalize at least a bit. Are there boring men? Hell yes. Are men more likely to be interesting to me? Definitely.

Akio91

Dec 21, 2011
OP, if you're legitimately choosing to suck penis over licking vagina, but still say that vagina is an option, you're bi. Deal with it.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Spence Thompson said:
Shouldn't we just accept that gay sex is just, itself, great? Not for everybody, certainly. Wouldn't give cashews to someone with a peanut allergy.
That is possibly the best line I have heard all week.

Concerning your post, have you been on the escapist long? I'm not sure there are many here looking to crucify those with variable sexual inclinations.

Anyway, do take care and I hope to see you under less vindicating circumstances.

EDIT: Cripes, by the time I posted, there were already some people being silly enough to think this was meant to be a flame war. I will now serve my Escapist defending statement with a grain of salt for your eating pleasure.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
geK0 said:
Paraphrasing this thread;

OP: "I'm gay, I choose to be gay, there's nothing wrong with that"
Replies: "You didn't choose to be gay, it's genetic idiot"

Seriously guys? really? : \ Trying a little too hard to be PC aren't you guys? This guy is proud of the fact that he personally chose his lifestyle and you just shoot him down with "Nope! impossible!".

The way you guys define choice is just so..... ugh. by so many of your definitions it's impossible to like anything.

"bacon is great" "your body naturally craves fats and calories, you never chose to like bacon"

"I like having coffee in the morning" "coffee is a mildly addictive substance, you didn't choose to have coffee"

"I just bought a Mac" "you're yet another victim of Apple's advertising campaign"

"I choose men over women" "nope! genetic; you never chose to like men"

You know, I'd be quite insulted to if society just saw me as a slave to my 'imbalanced' hormones rather than just an individual who made the choice I saw as most favourable.
This to an extent.

To be honest... why does it matter. Do we NEED to understand WHY someone is gay? Because unless youre gay its gonna be pretty fucking hard to understand. So i say why bother. Instead ACCEPT. Ill never understand my friend who is gay, why is gay or what the reason is but you know what? They dont matter. Choice or not choice hes allowed to do whatever he wants and feel however he feels regardless of if he chose it or not.

I feel this arguement is like the ones had when people argue over the nuances of what to call certain sexual preferences, what they all mean ect personally i couldnt give a shit what you indetify is. I will assume, if i see you romantically interacting with another man, that you are gay and if im wrong, correct me and ill use whatever title you feel you need to be. Because people. It doesnt make ANY difference to how we should feel about homosexuality or how they should be treated or what we should say and do and think about them if its a choice or not.

I choose to eat pinapples. I HAVE to eat pinapples. Do i care what you believe as long as you let me eat them and have fun with your apples? Do i care as long as you accept me for who i am and dont spend ages argueing over WHY i enjoy pinapples? No. I dont.

It doesnt make a damn bit of difference if its a choice or not, it might be for some and not for others and im not going to argue with anyone who feels they personally had a choice or otherwise.

In any case you are either abusing: A persons right to choose their lifestyle OR a persons unchangable psycology. Both equally as wrong. I say just live and let live and dont spend time asking and begging to know WHY jim likes apples and jerry likes cock.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
aPod said:
I'm one of those "religious" people you mentioned and I don't give a damn what you do in your personal life. I don't think there is a cure because I don't think there is a problem.

I prefer ketchup on my hamburgers and I don't like mustard.
You don't like mustard on your burgers? Hmm, not sure if we'd be comfortable employing you here....

I keed, I keed.

OT:

Amen, couldn't care less about someone's sexuality, it's purely their thing and their thing only. There's no discussion as far as i'm concerned because a person is a person.

LastGreatBlasphemer said:
So um, Fox News type of title eh? You could go with something a little more subtle than a cry for attention for a title.
Harsh, but agreed. This sounds very "I've recently come out and am proverbially shouting it from the rooftops"-ish.

PS - This is how much popular culture has influenced me of late. I first read the title as "I used to blow dudes..". I was going to put my reply as something like, "And what, you took an arrow to the knee?" Or something like that...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Spence Thompson said:
Meh, whether it is biology, choice, nature, nurture, I really don't give a shit, cool people are cool people, I might be straight but one of my best friends is gay and he is one of the coolest dudes I know. As long as you aren't hurting anyone, go do whatever or whoever the fuck you want, none of my business anyway, in fact a lot of times I'm glad when I hear a dude is gay because usually they're the type of guys who could get more ladies than me, haha.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
well um....i won't lie, i skimmed it, TL;DR, but i get the message; you don't like being judged for being gay, i totally get that. i always find it ridiculous and ignorant when people try to hit gay rights with a semi-truck full of bricks on a highway, and i also hate it when people try to use the bible or other religous attack (i've read a little about how a boy in turkey was "honor killed" by his father for being gay, it's savage really).

..... but i have a feeling that the graphic nature of your article here may show why.

yes, we all know being gay works a little differently in the bedroom than it does for straight people, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP TALKING ABOUT SMOKING THE SAUSAGE. try to be a little more subtle when talking about that stuff, like say "bedroom stuff" or "coitus of the homosexual variety".

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shawn MacDonald said:
Vault101 said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Im not a fan of most womens personality and I find most them to be very annoying. As a straight male, I have to endure it to get laid and have a relationship. What I don't like is the fact that our society see's marriage as being this sacred vessel that flew down from the heavens. This is usually when I bring up the fact that most marriages between guys and gals ends in divorce.
soo..are you saying...

"Im not a fan of most women, personally"

OR

"I'm not a fan of most womens personalitys"

because I call bullshit on the Idea you can generalise peoples personalitys based on their gender
I find most women to be annoying. I find it even more annoying when people use the gay argument. You think women are annoying, then you must be gay. That doesn't really solve anything and it is kind of a cop out. You can't really call bullshit because you have not been around me.
why not? I still dont think all women act/think the same

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
Volf99 said:
gross, why choose to suck d**k?
'Cause it's nummy and fun? 'Cause you like making the person it's attached to happy?

Serious question: do you like having your dick sucked? If so, why would you want that if no-one in the world could possibly find that an appealing thing to do? Why would you want to make someone do something inherently horrible?

You don't have to like it, but accept that there are people who do, or who at least don't mind.
You can make people you like(or love) happy in other ways that don't involve putting a part of their body where piss comes out into your mouth.

Serious answer, no. The reason is after I saw the movie Teeth and finding out that there are peo... choice, so I cut gay guys [i]some[/i] slack.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
Spence Thompson said:
I mean, it's not as if my sexual history with women is nil. And it's not as if there aren't things about it I don't appreciate. But I dunno, being queer as fuck is just tons more fun. Can you blame me? Have you been to a drag show, recently? Hilarious. And attractive men tend to be not near as inaccessible as attractive women. The odds are simply more favorable.
They're only favorable if you see the sex with an attractive guy as a good thing. Some people just don't. Can't. Whatever.

If you don't have that initial value judgement (what people call being gay or at least bisexual) then sex with another man wouldn't even be on your spectrum as a positive. Instead, it'd be like being molested by a tentacle monster (unless you're into that sort of thing, too)... horrifying. That initial value judgement has to come from somewhere, and it might as well be genetic... though I expect you'd have a hell of a time proving that it actually was. In the end, I don't much think it matters.

The point is, being gay/bi/whatever is a legitimate option, regardless of whether it grosses people out or not. The point is, guys who like dudes shouldn't be forced to keep that preference under wraps, same for girls who like gals. The fact that they can still choose to, if it makes their lives easier in some way, is definitely valid, but for society to force them to keep quiet about it is wrong, whether it's genetic or not.