I Choose You, Pokemon, For A First-Ever Super Bowl Ad

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
I Choose You, Pokemon, For A First-Ever Super Bowl Ad

Believe it or not, we are approaching the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, and Nintendo and the Pokemon Company have decided to celebrate in a big way: A 30-second Super Bowl ad.

If you have ever wanted to see what Pokemon might be like in real life, then you will be interested in the new ad created for Super Bowl 50 by Nintendo and the Pokemon Company to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the balled-up critters during the "Year of Pokemon."

The ad comes in at a little more than a minute long, but will be hacked up into 30-second spots for the game on February 7 between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos. The commercial was shot in Rio de Janeiro and is filled with imagery of being the best at whatever you choose to do. It almost comes off as a Nike ad until the very end when you get a glimpse of Pokemon in the real world.

Super Bowl ads are running $5 million per 30-second spot [http://www.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-50-ad-rates-reach-a-record-5-million-on-cbs-2015-8] this year on CBS, up for $4.5 million last year when the game was on NBC.

The ad does not tout any specific game, but just competition in general and the 20th anniversary of the franchise. The Year of Pokemon is slated to get a Wii U Pokken Tournament game this year and the mobile game Pokemon Go.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That sounded like gunfire at the beginning. And that Pikachu is creepy, but a Pikachu is a Pikachu. Well done, Japan, and here's to twenty more years. All is forgiven.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
this year should be great for Poke'fans, the IOS/android game, the re release of the originals, and the rumoured Z version coming, exciting stuff!

Also this tells every non Pokemon fan that Pokemon is still a thing, and will be for a loooooooong time.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/mythical.html

I figure that the people who give a crap about this commercial also probably care about the digital giveaways and when/where to get them this year. Most notably, North America is finally getting Shaymin.

OT: I have no strong feelings towards the commercial, it's just kinda... there.