"I Could do With a Bit More Money!" Says Shenmue 3 Creator

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"I Could do With a Bit More Money!" Says Shenmue 3 Creator

Shenmue 3 creator Yu Suzuki could do with a bit more money to make the game the best it can be.

The re-opened crowdfunding via PayPal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/shenmue%203?os=%20shenmue%203]. Now, while creator Yu Suzuki is more than happy with the cash and support he has gotten from fans, he could do with a bit more money to make the game the best it can be.

"Kickstarter's not the only source of money," Suzuki told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue?] "There's also funding from Sony and Shibuya Productions. Before we started Kickstarter, we had goals set around the budget - so if we only got $6 million, we'd create Shenmue 3 based upon what we could do with that $6 million."

"I could do with a bit more money!" he said. "The game itself doesn't have to be gorgeous visually - a lot of the money these days goes into the graphics. If we perhaps compromise on the graphics and put more into the story, we can make a good game. The most important thing, to me, is that the game's interesting, and that it's something people want to play."

He explained that "We're still trying to gather funds. Obviously, the more money we have the more we can do. Even if we don't get as much budget as the previous games, we'll still make this game."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue?]

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
This is why certain big budget developers should never go to crowd funding. They don't seem to understand it. I'm not saying this is a scam, or he's trying to con anyone out of their money. But he certainly does not know how to budget for himself to save his life. His project has been fully funded many times over, and has gotten support from so many sources. By this point it's just sounding like greed.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wait isnt this the game that got both Sony and Kickstarter backing? yes, yes it is. you already got your money from Sony, Mr . Suzuki. You shouldnt have even started the kickstarter at all.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
This is all thanks to Star Citizen...

I doubt that Sega would have supported an eternal funding model without an independent trying it first.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Cue a bunch of people taking quotes out of context and not reading the referenced article. Well at least this time there's nothing factually wrong about the article.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This guys got some real cajones. First he scams everyone with his kickstarter, while Sony is backing the project, now he wants more money from the people.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wierd how this article and the linked article both use his quote for the headline to put it out of context. Reading the interview from the linked page, it is not him asking for more money, but responding to a question on how he is going to use less money than he had for the last Shenmue, on this new installment. Before commenting, please read the interview first.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
So wait.. the consumer has to bankroll the game that they are then going to be sold? People give Early Access a hard time but at least they don't expect you to donate and buy the game when it's done.

saiga123

Oct 22, 2014
MonsterCrit said:
So wait.. the consumer has to bankroll the game that they are then going to be sold? People give Early Access a hard time but at least they don't expect you to donate and buy the game when it's done.
It depends on how much you donate, if you give $29 or more you get a copy of the game.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Feh...this is what I was afraid of, the endless cycle of "Oh the game is great...but It's not quite my dream game, now for the dream game I just need a bit more money..." if the game comes out and it's not as amazing as everyone hoped I fucking dare the developers to blame the fans for not giving them enough money, as far as I am concerned, you have major companies backing you, get the fuck off kickstarter or at the very least tell everyone exactly what the kickstarter money is for and how much involvement Sony and Sega have in the game's development

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Oh, hey. Same song, different dance. Kinda why I've started staying away from Kickstarters that have (insert guy who helped make popular old game) asking for money to make (insert sequel or "spiritual successor" of said game).

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Crowdfunding campaign funded games have got to be able to be properly produced, managed and budgeted within the original campaign funds and additional capital investment allotted to them.

We can't have continuous crowd pan-handling every time the developer wants to expand the original scope of the project into "the perfect game" that is constantly on the horizon if only the developer/publisher could squeeze out juuuust a few more pledges/donations...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Do you want to make more money?

Sure, we all do!

But most of us haven't already been given four million dollars more than we asked for!

Perhaps it's time to consider a lucrative career in the field of TV and VCR repair!

In case someone doesn't get the joke-
(Gah, I'm getting old.)

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
Callate said:
Do you want to make more money?

Sure, we all do!

But most of us haven't already been given four million dollars more than we asked for!

Perhaps it's time to consider a lucrative career in the field of TV and VCR repair!

In case someone doesn't get the joke-
(Gah, I'm getting old.)
Growing up, I seriously thought that they were offering a product called "TheSallyStruthersSpokeAbout".

I think it wasn't until I was like 15 when I was like "Oh, the information THAT Sally Struthers spoke about."

Not something called The Sallystrutherspokeabout.

Also, "learning the personal computer"

Lol.

That is all.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Aggieknight said:
This is all thanks to Star Citizen...

I doubt that Sega would have supported an eternal funding model without an independent trying it first.
Basically this 100%

And i doubt it's going to be the last time we see someone pulling this shit

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Is it on the PC? No? Perhaps that is why you aren't getting enough money. Like it or not, the PC is what drives public funding. If your game doesn't target our platform of choice (or one we don't own) we are not going to fund it. Even if your new game will target PC you can't leverage the popularity of old games that were not released on our "platform line".