I didn't care for doctor who

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
aba1 said:
I honestly couldn't get into Dr.Who I watch a full season and a half and nothing happened I could have started from any episode and not been confused in the least. I felt like I was watching the same eps over and over with a few different enemys and a different time period half the time still being the present.

Now don't get my wrong I like the concept of the show and the ideas but honestly it didn't go anywhere... anybody else try to watch it and get the same reaction?
Ok, first of all, which episodes were you watching? Secondly, do you watch any other science fiction?
I watched from when they rebooted the series for about a season and a half n got board n moved on... yes I do watch sci-fi generally just what ever catches my attention for the most part I watch alot of differnt genere's

McPulse

Mar 23, 2011
TimeLord said:
It's not for everyone, not everything is for everyone.

I for one find it brilliant, funny and gripping all at the same time. Fairy obviously by my username, avatar, forum title and dress sense [http://flic.kr/p/9juYLc].
That's dedication. Kudos, sir.

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
Its a British thing, not saying all of us like it but its aimed at us and our sensibility's im surprised its gained a following any where else tbh.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
It's definitely not something everyone will enjoy outright. It took me several episodes to get into it, but when I did get into it, it was in a big way. Sure, it's campy, nonsensical and it doesn't have much of a consistent story, but that's part of the charm.

What gets me though is the acting and writing. Steven Moffat is a fantastic writer, and, while all the Doctors are good in their own way, I consider David Tennant (<- that guy over there with the 3D glasses) to be one of the finest actors in the world.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's escapism, pure and simple. Very simple, really, as the "science" in it is little more than magic with a bunch of long words thrown in to make it sound technical. It's all about the characters and how they react and relate to one another. The Doctor is immensely powerful and could use that power for pretty much anything, but he chooses to use it to help people - that's a pretty wonderful message, if you ask me.

There are ways you can improve your chances of liking it - depending on where in the series you jump in, for example, or picking and choosing particular episodes to watch - but it's not for everyone. I've been a fan since I was about 8 years old and can't imagine a world without the Doctor. :)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Alot of the current Dr Who stuff is, IMHO, rubbish. Which is a shame, because there are a few decent stories that show it can be done right. Hell, "Blink" was written by Moffatt, who is running the thing now. It should not be nearly this bad.

What especially annoys me is that so much of it could be improved very easily, if they'd put a mind to it, or reigned in their mad fanboyism. Far too many stories spend half their time having characters praise the Doctor, and the other half the Doctor acting like a complete idiot so there's some danger to be faced.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
TimeLord said:
It's not for everyone, not everything is for everyone.

I for one find it brilliant, funny and gripping all at the same time. Fairy obviously by my username, avatar, forum title and dress sense [http://flic.kr/p/9juYLc].
The bow tie and fez look is still cooler, but max restecp for a close second :D

OP: There are many things people like or don't for their own reasons. I never liked Battlestar Galactica, doesn't make it bad, just wasn't for me. There are many flaws with Doctor Who, but I think the mad characters and oddly british sense of humour make up for it.

Feb 13, 2008
aba1 said:
I watched from when they rebooted the series for about a season and a half n got board n moved on... yes I do watch sci-fi generally just what ever catches my attention for the most part I watch alot of differnt genere's
Did you see this chap?

(Episode 9/10)

Try this for me :

Watch The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances if you haven't already.
Then watch Blink.
Then watch The Eleventh Hour.

If you can't get through them, then fair enough - you've watched some of the best of Who.

Some people just don't "get it", but those that do have a wonderful time.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Alexlion said:
Its a British thing, not saying all of us like it but its aimed at us and our sensibility's im surprised its gained a following any where else tbh.
This. It surprises me anyone outside the UK understands Dr Who since there is a lot of British idiom and humour in there. And as it stands, British humour is a sophisticated thing anyway, most other nations simply have it sail right over them.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
aba1 said:
Did you see this chap?
(Episode 9/10)

Try this for me :

Watch The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances if you haven't already.
Then watch Blink.
Then watch The Eleventh Hour.

If you can't get through them, then fair enough - you've watched some of the best of Who.

Some people just don't "get it", but those that do have a wonderful time.
Already saw it. No episode was bad or uninteresting its just there was no plot development after a while I was left woundering what the point was nothing changed and nothing was going to change I just like there to be a point to a story and Dr.Who never had a place it was going so I got board. It's that same reason I don't like alot of american cartoons and enjoy anime( unless the plot is full of contentuity). I guess since I have a huge media background I tend to be picky about what I watch.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
aba1 said:
I honestly couldn't get into Dr.Who I watch a full season and a half and nothing happened I could have started from any episode and not been confused in the least. I felt like I was watching the same eps over and over with a few different enemys and a different time period half the time still being the present.

Now don't get my wrong I like the concept of the show and the ideas but honestly it didn't go anywhere... anybody else try to watch it and get the same reaction?
I'm totally defriending you now. See, you're not on my friends list, it worked!

Meh, to each his own. I have loved the rebooted show since it's begin in 2005, although I prefer David Tenant's portrayal of The Doctor the most, I quite enjoy the other two as well.

Feb 13, 2008
aba1 said:
I guess since I have a huge media background I tend to be picky about what I watch.
That's fair enough then, you gave it a go and it wasn't for you. Don't say that around some Whovians though, as they tend to get a little defensive. :)

Just draw tally marks on your arms when they're not looking and enjoy the confusion. :)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Griffolion said:
Alexlion said:
This. It surprises me anyone outside the UK understands Dr Who since there is a lot of British idiom and humour in there. And as it stands, British humour is a sophisticated thing anyway, most other nations simply have it sail right over them.
I'm Canadian and it's fairly popular over here btw your humor isn't THAT sophisticated (shakes head)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
aba1 said:
Griffolion said:
Alexlion said:
I'm Canadian and it's fairly popular over here btw your humor isn't THAT sophisticated (shakes head)
I was just kidding with that remark, I thought it would garner a few quotations, my inbox was looking quite empty :D.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Griffolion said:
aba1 said:
Griffolion said:
Alexlion said:
I was just kidding with that remark, I thought it would garner a few quotations, my inbox was looking quite empty :D.
*LE GASP* (thats french for gasp)

did you just troll me :O