I don't understand tipping culture...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I tip based on the service I recieve. If its a place that has a self-serve buffet, and they dont do anything but refill your drink, I may give them a doller or two, but thats it. If its a place that they bring me my food, and comes by every so often to check if I need everything, they get a tip of atleast 15%. But I never tip more than 6% at places where tips are pooled.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Waiters, legally, can be paid WELL below minimum wage.

As a result in order for them to make minimum wage they NEED tips.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's the price of living in the free market guys, you do the work and the boss gets the money. It's the only way to be! [/sarcasm]

At least in the UK we have a decent minimum wage (although still not good enough, needs to be tied to inflation). Tips only go for exceptional service. That way it actually means something. Tipping on principle is retarded

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's the price of living in the free market guys, you do the work and the boss gets the money. It's the only way to be! [/sarcasm]

At least in the UK we have a decent minimum wage (although still not good enough, needs to be tied to inflation). Tips only go for exceptional service. That way it actually means something. Tipping on principle is retarded

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I'm British, so I don't tip. I think those who feel entitled to it can fuck right off, no matter how little they're getting paid. They're entitled to better employees and pay, not extra money from the customer who's already paid for the service. Tips should be reserved for outstanding service or special times of the year (I tip the pizza guy during xmas time. Which is the only time I order pizza...). Not everybody can afford a tip and saying you want, nay, DEMAND a tip just because you don't earn a lot is complete bullshit.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'm assuming you live outside of the US, because here it's completely legal to pay them FAR below minimum wage, it's shockingly common for servers to get payed roughly $2 an hour (Minimum Wage is $8 for reference). This means most servers are literally living off of tips, you don't tip they don't eat.

Unless the service was truly abysmal it's generally assumed that you'll tip at least a little because you understand that tips make up the majority of their income. If you don't, you're kind of a dick.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I tried to start this trend when I visited New york last week, although now I am back in the UK and cannot continue it.

Whenever someone says "how was the service" or even worse "the service was not included" dont tip them. Only tip those who do a genuinely good service and dont pressure you. If they complain tell them why they are not being rewarded, this will make the tip a nice surprise and make the service actually good.

Bradmaster Flash

Jun 4, 2013
UK resident here. I only ever tip if the service is EXCEPTIONAL. I've already paid for the service, it's included with the price of my food. If a waiter/waitress goes out of their way to provide a good, friendly service, then of course I'll tip. Otherwise, no.

If a restaurant actually requests a tip, either through the waiter/waitress, on the receipt, or on the menu, I will instantly set my mind on not paying the tip. I'm not obligated to pay something like that, and I don't think people should request something which is supposed to be completely optional. I feel sorry for people in America who have to live on funding under the minimum wage, but that's not my place to pay, it's the employer's. Take it out on them.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
shootthebandit said:
Vausch said:
When you consider that many tipping jobs only pay 3 dollars an hour (sometimes less)
You must be shitting me. Im assuming you can still claim welfare on a wage like that? In the uk if you work 15 hours or less a week you are still entitled to state welfare (its not much but its something)

$3 = £2...minimum wage in the UK is about £6-7 an hour or about £5 if you are under 18 (i may be wrong but thats a rough estimate). £2 an hour is dredful. JSA (job seekers allowance, which is basic unemployment benefits) gives you £50 a week. If you worked full time youd only get slightly more than that
Nope. Minimum wage law in Idaho is $7.25 hourly (well over half our workforce makes that), and for service and tipped positions it's $3 hourly. You can claim welfare, in fact in some cases that's the only way you can break even. That 3 dollars and hour isn't even a cheque, you don't get paid for some of those positions and all of it goes to taxes. Sometimes it's even a bill.

There are people in the US that work 50+ hours a week but are still on welfare.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
If I simply must eat from a restaurant, I will order my food to go. That way I can just avoid the problem. I have never liked the idea of tipping because for 15%-20% of the meal price, I will get up and walk the 10 feet to pick up my food from the counter. My legs make waiters obsolete.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Strazdas said:
Save for rent, its not that different. in fact you get many things, like Gasoline, way cheaper. we laugh when you cry about gasoline prices rising. we already got double that.

Hardly. I cant speak for everyone, but i noticed a lot of americans like to waste money. I once had to prove somone you can live off of 1000 dollars a month. seriuosly.....
And americans drive many times the amount the average european does, therefore rendering the idea that the gas is cheaper pointless when they still have to pay a few times the amount total over an equal period of time simply because the lack of alternatives in order to commute the longer distances to work.

$4.50 an hour amounts to about $750 a month, if they can even gain 40 hours a week(something that is rare in the service industry since without that timetable, it allows companies some loopholes to pay them less in the first place). So yeah, care to show me how someone can survive with, oh, lets be generous here, $500 dollars a month based on a single service industry job making about 30 hours or so. Also, where were you taking into account rent and food, as they are regionally priced many times, even among the states themselves. But please, go on and lecture the poor about how they don't know how to be poor, I am sure that wont come off as horribly patronizing or anything.
I do not doubt that people can survive off of that, but that is frequently terrible existence, often far worse when you take into account that if you are working a service job as an only source of income and have to commute any distance, as the money you make goes into the tank more often then not. Oh, and lets not forget the pattern of single parents having to take lower income jobs, such as service industry, due to lack of schooling or simply no other options and the added financial burdens that brings with it.

Strazdas said:
I blame the ones that pay bellow minimum wage.
Waitstaff DOES have a say. they dont say anything though. becasue you have a shitty system that they are using, because shitty costumers tip any service, thus thep ropblem persists.
They HAVE means of forcing it to employer. Resue to work bellwo minimum wage. if you have enough waitstaff doing this, the emplyer will ahve no choice but to agree or go under. People who accept to work for such wage really just say that its ok to dont pay them enough to live by.
ALL system changes came bottom up. because top is happy with currrent system, it lets them be on top after all. it will NEVER come from top down.
If the price was higher and there would be no tips, that would be a viable solution, instead of false advertisement and robbery.
You blame the system but accuse the people with no other option of not doing something? Bet you were all confused about why the slaves didn't just revolt too, weren't you? I mean, they outnumber the owners, right? Or why the demand for equal rights wasn't enough for the minorities. Changes can happen, but there is often a requirement for some larger pressure to force the change in the first place. As with many, this would have to be a government pressure, as few businesses will do it to themselves when it cuts into profits.
People need money to survive, to raise their kids and to simply exist in any form. There is a lot more people looking for jobs then there are jobs available. SOMEONE will take your job if you try to protest your working conditions, and even if you could get all the working poor Americans to do so, I recall the States having issues of immigration and illegals being hired because they work for even less. Your method does not work when there is competition for your job as it is. And unlike the auto industry, most service jobs can not even form unions because there is no skill set required to work there in the first place that would slow replacement, no stability in the job to maintain connections and grow a union framework from, and too many people with no other option who will therefore compromise for the sake of survival.
The system now practically requires a fix from government enforcement. What you are proposing is that the market will fix itself if people just all worked towards it, yet you ignore the fundamentals of supply and demand that help cause this problem in the first place. There are more supply for jobs, then demand, thus price (wages) go down because they can get away with it. People will compromise their dignity to survive or to help their families survive and will accept lower wages and bad conditions, as they always have when the businesses offer them because there is no other way for those people to get by on average. And much like how it took government action to enforce things like basic safety and working conditions in the first place, so too would it be required to change a greedy business. Ground up does not work with the working poor because they have to worry about survival first, and it is better to scrape an existence and get by then starve based on your ideals, all the more true with it is your family starving because of them.
You are naive and now come off as condescending too.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I think it's much more important to just not make their job any harder than it needs to be. And BE FUCKING FRIENDLY! We had a customer tonight who called their waitress a **** because the cheese on their nachos were slightly brown.

Like this:

Couldn't find a more suitable image, sorry.

But yeah, our waitresses complain when a customer doesn't tip them, or only gives them, like, less than a pound. I really don't understand this; tips are expected, attitude.

I hardly ever tip because the service is hardly ever worth it. But I'm always friendly, never cause trouble, hardly ever complain about things to the waitresses (because 9 times out of 10 it isn't their fault), and on top of that, stuff is expensive these days! I'm hardly rolling in money myself, so I have to look out for number one first.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Shock and Awe said:
Over 20 posts and no one has posted this, I am disappointed.

OT: It depends on the service, if a server is attentive and pleasant I tip a few dollars. If its not good, they don't get one.
Funny video, I've never seen Reservoir Dogs before actually, anyway I'm totally Mr P in this video. Besides he does make a good point I'd bet waiters/waitresses aren't the only people screwed by the American pay laws, so why do we choose to only tip waiters?

Anyway given whats been said I'd probably be more inclined to tip if I was visiting the US, but otherwise I'd to what I said in OP.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, thankfully here in the UK we don't have the ridiculous tipping culture that the US has. Personally I've only really been in a position to tip a waiter a handful of times, but I've only done so when the service was worth it. If the waiters aren't paid enough without tips that's a problem with the system not the customers. In a lot of places over here waiters aren't actually allowed to take tips, it goes into a communal thing (which strikes me as unfair on good waiters and also a way to cheat the waiting staff out of their money).

That said, I understand your American system is retarded as shit, if I ever visit I'll be sure to tip a fair amount.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I don't really understand tipping culture either, but from what I can gather it seems like any other kind of racket, you have to pay people extra money to avoid bad things happening to you.

I suppose having your food tampered with and possibly having it laced with bodily fluids and other unhygienic substances isn't quite as bad as having your legs broken or you shop smashed up, which is probably why tips don't cost as much as protection money payouts, but it's still pretty dodgy.

Is it just another facet of the Union/Organised Crime Culture in America (albeit at the shallow end)? I've read stories about trade unions such as the Culinary Union using threats and coercion to exert pressure on businesses in order to get them to employ their members, usually under pain of getting that business shut down or barred in a particular State, so is tipping just another part of this dubious way of doing business and getting people to bend to your will?

In theory I don't mind giving tipping the workers if the service they provide exceeds my expectations, but the assumption that I have to pay people extra for doing their job, on top of what I already have to pay, otherwise something bad might happen to me, seems criminal.

Another thing I don't quite understand, if you're expected to tip someone for just doing their job, but increase the amount of extra money you give them based on how much the service they provided was better than normal, then if they do a substandard job, does that cancel out the tip? If they do a really terrible job, do you get money off your bill (similar to how fast food delivery services knock money off your bill if the food's late and arrives cold)?

If not, and if you're expected to tip someone even though they've done a bad job, isn't that just rewarding bad behaviour and encouraging complacency?

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
shootthebandit said:
I live in the UK were tipping is more of a courtesy. People in the service industry get at least legal minimum wage same as a lot of shop assistants who dont get tips

I will tip if the service is good or if I've got a lot of smash in my wallet i want to get rid of
apart from frankie and bennys where you have no choice but to tip which i think is out of order, what if you get really shitty service!?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I have NEVER agreed with the idea that tipping is a common courtesy in the USA or anywhere else for that matter. Servers should not be given more money by the customer just for DOING THEIR JOBS. Tipping only perpetuates this screwed up system. They are already being paid to do their jobs by their employer, it doesn't matter how much or how little the servers are paid. If can't make a living off of what they're already being paid an hour then they should be banding together, demanding higher wages, and refusing to work until they are paid a decent wage, just like workers did with every other industry back when people got paid next to nothing and had to work in crappy conditions, which eventually turned it around.

If that means that the price of food goes up, so be it, but refusing to tip servers is not being a dick or cheap, it's just refusing to pay extra for something you've already paid for. Refusing to tip servers isn't punishment, it's just making sense, and even if it was servers DESERVE that punishment both for allowing things to get this way to being with and for not doing anything about it now.

The only time I ever tip is when my server does more than what is in their job description, and even then I never tip much.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
shootthebandit said:
I live in the UK were tipping is more of a courtesy. People in the service industry get at least legal minimum wage same as a lot of shop assistants who dont get tips

I will tip if the service is good or if ive got a lot of smash in my wallet i want to get rid of
Smash, that's a fantastic term for 'shrapnel', I might start using that.

I've just come back from work actually, so I can actually reply with something. I work in a club every Saturday night (for you Hull people, it's Spiders :D) and tips there are fairly scarce. They're often times simply 'keep the change' tips, which is normally about 10-to-30 pence. I once got a £5 tip one night just because the guy felt like it (his order came to £5, he paid with a £20 and told me to keep a fiver, was loving it) but as a fairly regular looking bloke (i.e. not a female bartender who the guys want to get off with) I don't get tipped that often. But that's fine really, the tips are all kept together and are shared out at the end of the night anyway (£1.70 tonight), which makes it a bit fairer, but that's not where our money mainly comes from, because we obviously get paid for working there.