I don't want Reddit style forums to be the norm

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So a couple days ago I decided to check in on the League of Legends boards after not playing the game for about a year (Got tired of the competitiveness and toxicity from people in game) and found that they had closed the boards down because of people using places like Reddit more, including the devs.

Is this going to be our future? Giant "forums" where thousands upon thousands of people post but only 10 topics at any time will be read by anyone and the actual meat of the thread is usually incredibly thin. There's so many people on Reddit but also so much anonymity and lack of community. You can't learn about the people you're talking with because who knows when you'll next see a post by them, you can't get a repertoire where you can learn where someone is coming from and speak with each other as more than just random acquaintances. No one can be held accountable for things they've said....

The reason I like these forums even if I don't like what some people say is that I know who the people here are but it's looking like giant crowds are what are going to overtake us.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Reddit just seems a pain to browse in general. Why do people put up with tiny comment chains that need to load up a whole new page to be expanded, and that page loads up way down below that comment chain so you have to mindlessly scroll back up?

I don't dig into Reddit much, just sometimes when you google something Reddit is the top source, but it just seems like a bad platform.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I have to admit, apart from this forum and Discord, the main other social media I use is Reddit. The advantage I find over a more general board like this is that you can find a subreddit for almost any subject imaginable. I'm never going to be able to find 50 different threads with hundreds of comments each about a specific game or UK politics or investing here. I suppose I could hunt down individual forums dedicated to each subject I'm interested in, but then the convenience of Reddit is that it's all in one place. No having to make separate accounts or check multiple inboxes.

I agree with the lack of community feeling, though. You can get to recognise some usernames on smaller subreddits but without clearly visible avatars or titles, it's not nearly as easy.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I guess this is kind of minor but I prefer these kind of forums layout over Reddit's because I actually love having avatars. Avatars help me tell who's who. I do love reading don't get me wrong but if there's a ton of text a lot gets lost with me, especially with people. It just feels like a sea of text without individuality.

I don't use Reddit too much though so I really can't say anything about the community other than that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reddits forums are too boring and unnecessarily complicated. 95% of the time it's a dumb echo chamber of idiots complaing about nothing and spouting dumb memes with little to no context. Any chance of real discussion is punished and seen as a bad thing. Ask some of the guys on the Devil May Cry forums. They got stories for you.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Reddit just seems a pain to browse in general. Why do people put up with tiny comment chains that need to load up a whole new page to be expanded, and that page loads up way down below that comment chain so you have to mindlessly scroll back up?

I don't dig into Reddit much, just sometimes when you google something Reddit is the top source, but it just seems like a bad platform.
It seems if you are logged in it handles comment chains differently and you can open way more in the same page. I don't understand why that is and most of the time I can't be bothered to log in so I just deal with managing 10 tabs of one discussion.

Nov 9, 2015
For how much reddit hates 9gag for stealing content, it's suprising that all reddit does is steal content. They take content from smaller sites and then re-post it for upvotes. They complain about reposts so much, yet everything there is a repost.

More importantly, less and less people are using websites that actually create content, because reddit has taken it all. Why bother sifting through articles when the reddit community has upvoted the best content to the top.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Reddits forusm are too boring and unnecessarily complicated. 95% of the time it's a dumb echo chamber of idiots complaing about nothing and spouting dumb memes with little to no context. Any chance of real discussion is punished and seen as a bad thing. Ask some of the guys on the Devil May Cry forums. They got stories for you.
Some people would say the same about this site.

Just with far less trafic

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some people would say the same about this site.

Just with far less trafic
At least you can have a proper discussion on here and on the DMC forums. The mods encourage shitty behavior and not to have any discussion other than the meme games. We're talking worst than the GameFAQs forums.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Something that does annoy me about Reddit is that it's harder to follow an ongoing thread than on a traditional forum like this. If somebody makes a new post and it's not a standalone comment, then you have no way of knowing which comment chain it was appended to.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
True, true way too many users. I used to really like Reddit but nowadays it's mostly a meme factory. Some great discussions still on it but by the time I read it already everything has been said and I have nothing more to add. xD Even if I do reply people won't read beyond the ten posts at the top anyway so it feels really pointless.

Another thing I find peculiar is that despite it's huge number of users there is still a striking similarity of familiar viewpoints. Maybe it's the demographic of mostly college kids and urban, tertiary educated 30-somethings.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah the reddit layout is not for me. Doesn't make any sense and just looks, and more often than not sounds, like 4Chan with a lick of paint and a deodorizing candle to cover the stench of their rancid bullshit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I don't mind Reddit for a quick look at something, but it's not something I'd like if I were sticking around to discuss things a lot myself unless it were a very small community really, feel like a lot of stuff can just be lost in the noise in a big reddit thread.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Reddit and its users have gotten a real bad reputation that feels kinda weird to me. Most of the really annoying stuff is on the big front page sub redits which are really easy to ignore. It can feel rather homogenous at times. Its good for news and you can have decent conversations sometimes. I do get what you are saying though, after a community grows past a certain point the community does lose some of its personality.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't really understand Reddit. I just read a subreddit where the punchline to every post was that Celeste is a hidden gem and something about your wife's boyfriend and starving indie devs. This goes back, like, years. Now, obviously I enjoy sarcastic nonsense posts, but, like, it's the same joke every time.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Canā€™t be as bad as other forums with insane and dumb users named T-Hybrid

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I do enjoy the traditional forum feels more intimate but I had had similar experiences in smaller subreddits or topics in bigger ones. I will take a forum or the reddit style over trying to discuss things or find out information on Discord in terms of accessiblity.