I-Dosing: Getting High With Digital Drugs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I-Dosing: Getting High With Digital Drugs

Parents, teacher and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics are up in arms over "i-dosing," a new craze sweeping the nation in which kids get high by putting on headphones and listening to "digital drugs."

The trouble with a story like this is that it's so unbelievably stupid and overwrought that deep down inside, I can't help but think that maybe there's actually some truth to it. I mean, who would make up something this ridiculous? The concerned folks at Oklahoma's News 9 [http://www.news9.com/Global/category.asp?C=116601&clipId=4938864&autostart=true] certainly seem to be taking it seriously as they talk breathlessly about the "alarming new trend" that has "parents, educators and law enforcement officials" fretting over the latest danger facing today's kids.

"I-dosing," as it's known, involves slapping on headphones and listening to "binaural, or two-tone technology, to alter your brain waves and mental state." The sounds apparently induce effects similar to those caused by marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote, with different tracks presumably causing different effects since it's no great secret that the effects of marijuana, cocaine, opium and peyote are completely different from one another. Unless you're from Oklahoma, maybe.

"Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places," said Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs [http://www.ok.gov/obndd/] spokesman Mark Woodward. "If you want to reach these kids and save these kids and keep these kids safe, parents have to be aware, and they've got to take action."

Oklahoma's Mustang High School [http://mhs.mustangps.org/] is taking the threat seriously enough that it sent letters home to parents warning them of the dangers of i-dosing and has also "cracked down on the use of cellphones and other technology while on campus." And it's not just teachers who are worried; even some students, like Meghan Edwards, are concerned about the dangers of digital drug fiends run amok. "I heard it was like, some weird like demons and stuff, through an iPod or something, and he was just freaking out," she said.

Like all good drugs, the first one is always free and thus I present to you "Gates of Hades" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1asB1haQM], a unique auditory experience that falls somewhere between "phaser on overload" and "my snooze button is broken." Enjoy! And remember, if the cops ask, you never heard of me. Got it?

via: Wired [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/digital-drugs/]

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Does this mean I can stop paying for drugs? I can get high for free? If the Gov can make this work, it will defeat the need for a War on Drugs while also removing the large Health Hazards associated with it.

I would be much more likely to try digital Heroine or Crack than the real thing...

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Sometimes I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma... What am I talking about? All the time I'm ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, this is far from the stupidest thing to come out of my home state. Though it is up there... Maybe Apple can cash in on it though and release the iBong, for all your digital drug needs.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
you know i'm gonna have to throw up a white flag on this.

Maybe the kids feel good afterwards after listening to it. maybe

But i don't think it's a "new drug that will [insert wtf weed/crank/whateverelsedrug slogan here]"

Parents are overreacting, soon their gonna be targeting games like grand theft auto and say that this is a new way of causing euphoric entertainment by letting the character beat to death any random person instead of someone they know in school

Mr.Kitetsu

Mar 7, 2010
why complain?
seeing as real drugs have real side effects and this is just sound i see no trouble with this
bullshit i call
and the parents probably high themselves

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I find it silly to compare a phaser loop to a hard drug. Perhaps this entire school has been trolled? I know these things have been around for a while but some bored DJ/troll finally got the reaction he's been looking for.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Sweet! I can carry my drugs in my MP3 player now!

'Dude you want to get stoned?'

'Sure'

'Here put these in your ears'

'...'

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"I heard it was like, some weird like demons and stuff, through an iPod or something, and he was just freaking out," she said.
This sounds like the beginning to a really awesome Shin Megami Tensei game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Excuse me for asking, but what? Seriously, what!?
I have no idea...but, some people really have too much time...I just cannot believe the authorities are acting so stupid...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
What is this I don't even.

No seriously, what the hell? Oh noes, we have to stop kids from listening to things! Really. This is what you are raising hysteria about. Not concerns that they're going to damage their hearing by playing crappy music so loud you can hear it across a room, which I could get behind, but worrying that annoying sound loops are somehow capable of "getting you high"?

How is this not an article the folks behind The Onion created?!

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I clicked that link and.....ok you have got to be kidding. You are making this up.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I rather wish that this wasn't such blown-out-of-proportion nonsense. Driving around town, blasting everyone with airwave-based crack could be a fun way to kill an afternoon.
I could become a supervillain! Rob banks by going in there with a digital weed-overdose and make everyone too disinterested to stop me!