I fail to see how this is funny.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Sometimes, it's embarrassing to see what people will try to pass off as comedy. You see others laugh, but all you can do is sit there wondering to yourself, How is this funny? How does this elicit laughter? It worries you how some people will think certain material qualifies as humorous. Frightens you, perhaps. Or it just confuses you.

<color=blue>Have you ever come across something that others find hilarious, yet you yourself find humorless? If so, which ones strike you as the most confusing?

Atop the Fourth Wall has this effect on me. I just don't see how Linkara is considered funny. Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with comics to appreciate his style, but then again, it's not as though his schtick is made up of nothing but references to comics, like he's the Dennis Miller of graphic novels. His jokes just fall flat, pure and simple.

Another example is Game Dogs. Do I even need to elaborate?

EDIT:

Let's leave Dane Cook out of this. He's too obvious an answer.

Apr 28, 2008
Fred from youtube.

I know I shouldn't be suprised about it seeing as how stupid most youtube users are, but seriously, how in the fuck is that even considered to be comedy.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
That show The Big Bang Theory. Everyone I know loves it and thinks it's hilarious when it's just absolute shite. I even gave it a fair trial and sat through 2 full episodes, it just wasn't funny.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Slapstick humour and all derivatives and relatives. I simply fail to see the humour in other peole getting hurt.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
All the time.

My father loves good clean humor (Pink Panther movies for example) which I don't find funny.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I was gonna say Dane Cook, but that's just too easy.

Anyway, I do have another answer. Have you, as a sober person, ever been around a bunch of stoners? If you have, then that's a perfect example.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Does everything on this site have to be funny?

Maybe game dogs is just interesting to watch?

I mean....it isn't, but still.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
The title sounds like someone showed Fred videos to Darth Vader. Was that funny?

On topic: I don't find Jack Dee's show Lead Balloon all that funny but, y'know, subjective opinion and all that.

May 28, 2009
The Disney Channel.

My little sister put it on and I told her "Don't watch the Disney Channel; it rots your brain."

Now normally I'd sound like an insane quasi-functional parent of some kind, but this is perfectly true. Science compels me to this conclusion.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Anything that has to do with, and I mean no offense here fellas, but "frat boy humor".

Seriously. Adam Sandler and his ilk? Not funny.

Superbad and other movies like that? Not funny.

I just don't get that low-brow "humor" I guess, I want something a bit more dark and/or intelligent. =/

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
-Zen- said:
Atop the Fourth Wall has this effect on me. I just don't see how Linkara is considered funny. Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with comics to appreciate his style, but then again, it's not as though his schtick is made up of nothing but references to comics, like he's the Dennis Miller of graphic novels. His jokes just fall flat, pure and simple.
A lot of the stuff That Guy With The Glasses does has that effect on me. Sure, he has some good moments, but he seems to think he's a lot funnier than he really is, and he just drags it out. 20 minute videos? Seriously? Cut out a lot of the crap, and you'd have a 8-10 minute video, which is still pretty long, but a lot more manageable. Also, the name Linkara doesn't sit right with me. There's just something about it that bugs the hell out of me, and I haven't quite figured out what it is yet.

I'll go with the horribly-made Youtube Poops. Some of that stuff's downright genius, but a lot of it still sticks with memes that got old 2 years ago and uses them in completely unfunny ways.

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
The chicken fight in Family Guy and also The Big Band Theory and The it crowd. I think because those nerds are portraied als complete retards.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
The whole american pie series, and pretty much anything else that leverages the penis as comedic gold. Oh hey I mentioned something to do with penis, worship my hilarity. I guess its shockfactor for a few people? 30 rock is painfully unfunny. It doesn't help that they seem to try so hard just to fall flat. But at least its not chain genital humor jokes.

Captain Cook

Feb 17, 2010
I don't find XKCD funny. I'm not alone either; there's a whole blog full of people who think XKCD sucks.

What I find strange is that many XKCD fans I've told that either called me stupid, said "ur mom", or called themselves superior. And given that I willingly took AP Calculus and Physics in high school, I highly doubt that I'm stupid/they're superior.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Family Guy, most of all.
90% of original content on the Escapist.
...umm my blind discord for Family Guy is not letting me think of more... oh oh oh, Angry Video Game nerd, I am the right age for that kind of nostalgia, my friends think he is funny and I have seen a few (all games I loved or know well) still... no laughs, no enjoyment.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
-Zen- said:
<color=blue>Have you ever come across something that others find hilarious, yet you yourself find humorless? If so, which ones strike you as the most confusing?
Game Dogs, Ctrl Alt Del, Doonesbury, Fred Bassett, Family Guy, American Dad, King Of The Hill, VG Cats, The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane... the list goes on (and on, and on)...I dunno, people are strange, they like weird stuff I guess.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
hyperdrachen said:
The whole american pie series, and pretty much anything else that leverages the penis as comedic gold. Oh hey I mentioned something to do with penis, worship my hilarity. I guess its shockfactor for a few people? 30 rock is painfully unfunny. It doesn't help that they seem to try so hard just to fall flat. But at least its not chain genital humor jokes.
True that. I fail to see how misogyny, genitals, and toilet humor can make anybody laugh. It's just immature and boring.