I finally found an mmo I like.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've got a level 36 Scholar (from the Archanist class, I also plan on unlocking Summoner and then eventually getting Black Mage as well) and I am loving it. I'm playing on Excalibur with the group of friends I originally played Final Fantasy XI with, and we're having just as much if not more fun than before. With dungeons and guildleves and such it's really easy to do stuff with your friends without everybody having the same exact quests done or being from exactly the same nation. I haven't been able to participate since they started before me and are a few levels ahead (that's the only thing you really need to play together--similar levels), but watching them have fun is just as entertaining for the time being, until I get myself to 50 as well.

And it's handy having upper-level friends because of all you can learn from them, lol.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Robert Marrs said:
DanielBrown said:
Don't praise it too much until you've gotten a character to higher levels. I really loved it too, at first, but after level 35 it went downhill quickly. Pushed to 40 and haven't played it since. Can't really stand the Asian style grind.

Personally LOTRO is my favorite MMO. Just a pity it gets worse by each expansion... Had they kept the standard of Mines of Moria it would've been impossible for me to tear away from the game.
That was a damn good game despite many people not liking it for some reason. I stopped playing after I ran out of free stuff to do (even grinded turbine points for a week straight so I could buy Forochel and Evendim)but it was the only mmo I have ever played in which I cared about the story. I read the dialogue and couldn't wait to get to the next story quest.
It was very unfinished when it came out iirc. I begun my first time maybe a year after release(returned ~4 years ago and started playing like mad) and even then it was tough to play. No map in the Old Forest, not enough quests for leveling and a lot of the book quests required a full fellowship.
Have tried getting two friends to play it. They got to level 2 and 5 before calling quits. Can't get a real reason from them for quitting, they just refuse to touch it again... so it might be an aquired taste to it too.

All in all, it keeps the great atmosphere and mature players that made me love it in the first place, so it's hard to quit. Been around half a year since I had enough, due to the poor expansions, but I still log on once in a while to do a few quests. :)

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Me and my cousin are on adamantoise if anyone wants to join us. I love the game, not sure about him. I was/am somewhat addicted because I love the music and the way the world looks. Just can't find a group because my friend who might or might not play keeps forgetting to tell me about the guild his steam buddy has so I'm all alone tanking :(

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Maximum Bert said:
Ok I am really tempted to get the game but not having a lot of spare time has held me back however I may give it a go as my PC can actually run it decently apparently which surprised me.

Have the initial problems been resolved though? I dont want to buy it and find I can log in.
No problems logging in. on occasion it mentions a wait of 13 people but then ill click again like 5 seconds later and bam!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
rbstewart7263 said:
Maximum Bert said:
Ok I am really tempted to get the game but not having a lot of spare time has held me back however I may give it a go as my PC can actually run it decently apparently which surprised me.

Have the initial problems been resolved though? I dont want to buy it and find I can log in.
No problems logging in. on occasion it mentions a wait of 13 people but then ill click again like 5 seconds later and bam!
Ah ok good to hear I will have to give serious consideration to a purchase now I am trying to convince my friend to buy it as well since he likes Final Fantasy games and MMOs or rather did as he dosent play much now. He does seem genuinely intersted though so if he gets it odds are I will as well. I think the last MMO we played together was Warhammer Online and that was great fun until later levels but to be fair once I reach level cap I usually stop playing anyway.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
I've gotten to 50 as a monk. The monk story is great, takes a bit of reading, but great.
Dragon kick is super cool looking (lvl 50 monk ability).
and for anyone who hates the long gcd you can push a monk down to about 2 secs on gcd or a little better with 3 stacks of greased lightning.
The leveling needs a bit of work after level 35, but isn't too bad if you get some rested exp, grind some fates, and do the story + dungeons.
glad you like it so far OP. Keep at it the monk and pugilist stories are really good.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Don't praise it too much until you've gotten a character to higher levels. I really loved it too, at first, but after level 35 it went downhill quickly. Pushed to 40 and haven't played it since. Can't really stand the Asian style grind.

Personally LOTRO is my favorite MMO. Just a pity it gets worse by each expansion... Had they kept the standard of Mines of Moria it would've been impossible for me to tear away from the game.
Really have not played it myself, but my sister has a max and she said one of her gulidies got her form 42-50 in about 6 hours?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Enjoying it a lot playing a tank-healer combo with my girlfriend.

I really like being able to do everything on one character. Spent about 6 hours getting every profession up to level 15.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
good to hear FFXIV is doing well this time round. I'm waiting for a trial or something before I sink money into it

BQE said:
quote unrelated
Your Avatar made me smile, and made me sad :/ miss CoH still.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Have fun with broken ass end game , unbalanced classes, bare minimum of creature comforts. i like the game but man that character position ping is killing it, especially in the Titan/coil, people out of aoe for 1.5 seconds still get hit regularly, causing wipes that has nothing to do with difficulty. WAR PLD unbalanced, there is no benefit taking WAR to the end game raid , NONE. Ranged DPS some little support skills , BRD, has healer's LB. Don't really bother with end game you will only get frustrated and leave the game like some of my FC members.
SCH 50.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
The cat girls make me want to try it, but at the same time I find that I'm not able to do repetitive gameplay.

So skill-rotation games that provide no immediate challenge bore me, unfortunately. I find that the best kind of game for me is Tera style, where I can hone my skills so much that I can solo giant monsters and destroy other people in pvp.

I don't know. :p

I do want to see some animated cat girls, though. <3

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
zerragonoss said:
DanielBrown said:

Really have not played it myself, but my sister has a max and she said one of her gulidies got her form 42-50 in about 6 hours?
If he got really lucky with FATE groups I suppose it might be possible. Sounds very exaggerated though.
Anyways, didn't mean grind as in leveling taking forever, but that you have to do the same boring shit over and over again. Around level 35 the quests starts to run dry, so you're forced to either do instances(which would be fine if it wasn't for the retardedly long queues due to only two dps/group or that it hardly gives any exp at all) or FATE runs.

Since I never got past 40 I can't speak for how it is then, but from what I read on the forums it only gets worse with the quests. Seen tons of people complaining.
I'm most probably spoiled from not having played a brand new MMO in years(except for Guild Wars 2, which I also left before hitting the cap), but being an altoholic I really didn't look forward to having to it all over again without any quests at all. Had to get one class to 15 when I didn't have any quests left in the starting areas and only that grind was extremely dull.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I plan on giving this game a try sometime over the next month or so. I am vaguely curious about it. I played FF11 for a while after its western release and I loved the atmosphere (but not the gameplay or grind.)

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
End game seems boring, grindy and rather toxic... Which is why my crafter and mining classes are higher than my main (BRD).

But once we do reach end game, our company has enough people with a good balance of classes that we won't have to bother with a lot of that atmosphere.

I'm just looking forward to the patches: Housing, Gold Saucer, I'll probably try PVP, and they're adding more to end game soon too.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
DanielBrown said:
zerragonoss said:
DanielBrown said:

If he got really lucky with FATE groups I suppose it might be possible. Sounds very exaggerated though.
Anyways, didn't mean grind as in leveling taking forever, but that you have to do the same boring shit over and over again. Around level 35 the quests starts to run dry, so you're forced to either do instances(which would be fine if it wasn't for the retardedly long queues due to only two dps/group or that it hardly gives any exp at all) or FATE runs.

Since I never got past 40 I can't speak for how it is then, but from what I read on the forums it only gets worse with the quests. Seen tons of people complaining.
I'm most probably spoiled from not having played a brand new MMO in years(except for Guild Wars 2, which I also left before hitting the cap), but being an altoholic I really didn't look forward to having to it all over again without any quests at all. Had to get one class to 15 when I didn't have any quests left in the starting areas and only that grind was extremely dull.
6 is very doable if you get a fate group go to dragon head till level 44 doing the fates like savara then go straight to Cerillium power plant and do fates there, that place has a chain fate every 30-45 mins that gives total around 100k exp if done properly. made 220k exp in an hour there while leveling, it's important to be in a fate group though for max exp gain.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
For me who played Ragnarok Online since early days, I really didn't like FFXIV. While your first class is going to get a good boost in the start with quest and such. Any other class you restart with will have somewhat of a problem. Got to level 20 before actually just turning it off.

The main problem with the game for me would be

1. The loot system
2. The stats system
3. The level base monster system
4. The skill system
5. The quest system
6. Combat system
All of them can be found in other games, not improved or anything. Just slight change to it or none at all.

1. Its the basic, new gear every 3-5th level system. Boy haven't we seen it before.
2. I don't know if the stats in the game actually do anything useful for you, those that you can put out but I didn't feel special about it. The game just locks you to a certain stat system for each class and give you 1 point every third level.
3. Monster that are 5 levels above will do more damage and take less damage from you because they are 5-10 levels above you.
4. No choice here on what skills you get at each level. They give it to you. No choice for me.
5. Same system as most MMOs and nothing new about it.
6. My fight is pretty much this in the game, 1,1,1,3,2,2,2,3,1,1,1,1,1 Just pushing number 1-3 on all the fights. The game refill your HP and mana between the fight pretty fast so you almost always are full HP. So dying is rare.

The game really just took away your ability to actually build a class and put you on a straight path on how they think you should play their game. That never ends well with MMO, Eve is a good example of that. While I don't play it, I read stories what people have done and that's some crazy stuff.

There is little difference between my Mage at level 20 compared to another mage at level 20. Seems all the new mmos are moving away from old school and try to make it so mainstream as possible.

I just want to have some control over what happens to my character when I play a game, Even if I fail at that its still my character. I learned something. Now I just follow the flow like all do and get some class able to do most of the stuff.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
IndomitableSam said:
Zeckt said:
May I ask where this Escapist group is and can I have permission to join? I only played for roughly 2 hours so I can easily reroll to another server. I dislike playing the game alone so I quickly logged off when my friend wanted to play co op in another game. I started as a lancer but would like to probably go off as a tank eventually.
BQE said:
I'm actually pretty curious too. I started on NA-Siren with an Archer but I'm only about 9 or 11 I think.
We're on Malboro, all. We'd love to have new members. Our FC is named Escapism, and everyone's Lodestone is linked on the main page of the group here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn

So look for anyone of us online and we can send you an invite. Miyenne Ambrai is on often crafting, so check for her first.
As far as I'm aware, World Transfer hasn't opened up yet. I'm loving the game though, it's absolutely amazing. The level of detail, the lushness of the enviroments. The weather patterns, the music. It's the same feeling I had when I first played World of Warcraft. The ability to cross class is pretty cool too.

I don't know, the game isn't without shortcomings, all games have them. To me however, any cons are far outweighed by that genuine entertainment value I'm getting from this game.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
We just ran rbstewart through his first instance ever, he's never played an mmo before, while many of us in the company are vets to the whole thing.

It was fun. I hardly ever stop to admire the scenery, or the story in an instance, but he did. Morgan, Sam and I took him through and it was fun seeing it through fresh eyes.