"I Finally Found It!" Games You Wanted, Looked For A Long Time After...And Finally Found

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
It took me 5 years to find a copy of Killer 7 for the Gamecube. Passed up on the PS2 version twice and patience luckily payed off.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I remember the day my friend told me War of the Monsters was on PSN. I think I nearly cried. About seven years without playing that game and I finally could play it again in all its wonder. I had a blast beating up all my favorite monsters and I finally could beat the first boss. It was a great feeling.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I remembered a while ago there was a game I'd played as a kid. It was a top down RPG with choices and stuff based on WW2 where you were a resistance soldier. I remembered a part (quite vividly) where you're captured and thrown into a cell with nothing but your clothes and a barrel of potatoes. In the barrel was a rusty potato knife with which you could carve the faces of various leaders into potatoes with, then make a daring escape by stabbing the guard in the eye with the juice encrusted knife. It was called Another War when I'd done some digging and found it relatively cheap on Ebay.

Another game I loved and is a ***** to find is an Australian made game called Enemy Infestation. One of the hardest games I've played.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
When I was a kid, I played a game called "Bad Mojo", about the protagonist getting his spirit flung into a cockroach in the world's worst apartment. It was so gross and "out there" that I was pretty much convinced I dreamed it, because surely no one would come up with this madness.

...and then gog.com suddenly released it out of the blue. Day one purchase, nearly keeled over when I realized I hadn't dreamed it.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I managed to find Rise of the Triad again after many years of searching for a game that I only had vague mental images of from my childhood days - I remembered a Duke Nukem-esque shooter with floating pads and fire walls.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
It took me about...10 years I think, to refind a copy of Theme Hospital.

Now, thanks to EA and their on the house thingy, I now own it, for free!

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age (both gba games).

I played the hell out of both of those games on emulator.
Wanted to but the actual games. Could only find them both preowned.
I found GS:TLA 4 years after the initial thought that I should have physical copies.
Golden Sun however took me another 2 years to find....

Absolutely worth it though! :D

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Tail Concerto. I played it on a PS Underground demo disc when I was a wee lad and loved every aspect of it. A few years ago I found it in my favorite second hand store for $45. Called my mom on the spot and asked her to transfer the $20 I was missing to my bank account. Waited with it in my hand, treating everyone like I was Gollum holding the One Ring, until the transfer went through. As a side effect I had to wait two months because it became a birthday present by my moms reasoning, which was fine. I never got very far, but it's survived the Great Purge of rare PS1 titles for extra cash time.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
Does lazily thinking, "That might be fun" for a few years and then noticing them on sale in a used bookstore count? If so than both Black and Red Dead Revolver were fun. I sometimes search the web in the hope of reading that they are releasing an English subtitled copy of Samurai Warriors 3 Empires. Alas I suspect it shall never be.

Imrix

Nov 21, 2007
Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. By the time I discovered it, it was impossible to buy, so I had to wait until it went open source to play it.

It's kind of a space sim, except instead of the usual open world you play as a military pilot moving up from the ranks, from a pilot to a wing commander, to capital ships (which was the big attraction for me - the world needs more games where you can fly a capital ship), until eventually you're commanding a whole fleet from the bridge of a carrier, carefully husbanding your resources against the dread spectre of permadeath in a procedurally generated campaign.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Pokémon Red.
I know, I know, you wouldn't think it would be hard to find, but there's a reason I say it as the game I was looking for.
Back when it came out, it was given to me for my birthday, or Christmas, I don't remember which. I played the hell out of hit. Hundreds of hours, yeah, we've all been there.
I had caught all but three pokémon. I traded with my sister to get ones I couldn't find.
Aaaaand then it was stolen from me. Someone stole my copy of Pokémon Red. I have a good idea who it was, too. I was a bit pissed.
But, in the off chance it wasn't stolen, I kept looking around for it at home. And then at my next house, just in case I had somehow brought it along with me.
Well, I didn't. It was stolen.
So then, last year, I went and found a copy online and bought it. So after years of searching for my one, I found another and started again.
rvbnut said:
Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age (both gba games).

-snip-

Absolutely worth it though! :D
Yeah, those games are absolutely worth it. You should look into getting Golden Sun: Dark Dawn if you don't have it. Not quite as good as 1 or 2, I'd say, and short in comparison, but still a good game. Has some nice characters, too.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Dead Century said:
I saw a copy of Kirby's Return to Dreamland for 49.95 in Wally's World the other day.
I remember this game coming out...then I remember Nintendo quietly discontinuing it. I don't understand why this game is so hard to get even though it came out after Skyward Sword and DK:Country Returns which are both available freaking everywhere. Hell, it's easier to find Epic Yarn and that's hardly even a game (meaning there's no failure state). I had an easier time finding new copies of The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles...New!

There's an independently owned game store nearby to where I live (Wizards) and they get all kinds of things in every so often. A few months ago for example, they got in Hagane on the SNES.

So, how rare is this game? I don't know if they sold it yet but last time I checked it was on their eBay site for somewhere between $200 - $250. This is a cartridge only kind of thing too whereas it's not uncommon to find something like cartridge-only Earthbound (the rarest SNES game everybody has heard of) for $70 - $100. I didn't BUY Hagane but I did play it in-store. I made it to the second level boss before being killed...it's a really freaking awesome game, I really hope it comes onto the Virtual Console. Finally, since I mentioned the VC, Earthbound and Metroid Prime Trilogy...if not for the Virtual Console, I would have never played any of those.

Here are some of the games I have found at Wizards though;

.HACK//Infection (PS2)
Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (N64)
Batman Returns (NES & SNES...and yes, they're different games)
Battletoads (NES)
Breath of Fire (SNES)
Clash at Demonhead (complete NES)
Final Fantasy Legends II (complete GB)
Final Fantasy (complete NES)
Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (N64)
Paper Mario (N64)
Pokemon Leaf Green (GBA)
Rocket Knight Adventure (complete Genesis)
Shaq-Fu (SNES)
Star Fox Assault (GC)
Starcraft 64 (N64)
Star Tropics 1& 2 (complete, NES. Star Tropics 2 is actually still sealed!)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Vampire Hunter D (PSX)
The Virtual Boy and a half-dozen games, most notably Teleroboxer and, Wario Land
Wario World (GC)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Many years ago I was trying to track down a copy of Final Fantasy IX and could not for the life of me find it and then the impossable happened. I met a CEX (a used games, dvds, electronics chain in the UK) employee who broke some rules to help me. For reasons I do not understand at that point in time apparently they were not allowed to order stock from other stores by request. They could do it themselves but not if a customer asked them to.

However when I asked this guy if the store had a copy of FF IX he said no but a store 200 miles away did. He then explained about the policy. But all was not lost. He said that as he was a FF fan as well he would ring up a friend of his who worked at the store and get him to sneak it onto a delivery they were expecting next week and that I should come back next week and talk to him.

I go back the next week, go upto the guy and he pulls out a copy of FF IX from under counter. To this day he remians the friendliest, most helpfull retail worker I have ever met.

And the cherry on top. He said the game would be £10 but he would knock it down to £7 as it was missing the manual. I was so excited to finaly have the game I did not bother to count my change. When I got home I realised that he had charged me the £3 he knocked off and given me the £7 as change.

I paied £3 for one of my all time favorite games and got a good story out of it at the same time.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Back when I was on the PS2, I'd rented the 2005 Ultimate Spider Man game for a few days and loved it, but the store soon went down and I couldn't play it again. A few years later, during a trip on the other side of the country, I pop into a Game (This was back when they were in Ireland), and find it. Happy days.

More recently, I'd also loved NFS Carbon, and after years of looking, I found it in a CEX last year.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
Katherine Kerensky said:
Yeah, those games are absolutely worth it. You should look into getting Golden Sun: Dark Dawn if you don't have it. Not quite as good as 1 or 2, I'd say, and short in comparison, but still a good game. Has some nice characters, too.
I did. I even pre-ordered Dark Dawn. :p
It's like you say. It wasn't as good as the first two games, and very short in comparison. I was able to get all the djinn, summons, level everyone to 100 and complete the main story all within 24 hours. But it's still a Golden Sun game and I did love the little emote mechanic. :p

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
CandideWolf said:
Suikoden V. The second hardest to find in the series. I used a 50 dollar bill my grandma gave me to get it. I switched wallets before using that bill. Now I need to find II, which is even harder to find and even more expensive. We'll see.
Suikoden I and II are both now on the PSN for £3.99 each (I think). Unless of course you're talking about owning the physical copy as some kind of collection, in which case yeah, Suikoden II is far too expensive, never seen it used for less than £80.

OT:for me it was Ocarina of Time. Back in the late 90's in England the best N64 games were either really expensive (£50 is a lot when you're 11) or really expensive and very hard to find. I couldn't find a copy of Ocarina anywhere. I would go down to my local shopping centre almost every week with my mum and look round all the old independent game stores (miss those), alas to no avail. I did find it though, brand new - £50, and I'd just spent £25 of the £50 I'd saved up from christmas and birthday on some shitty toy I never played with after the first week. I was gutted.

But my tale has a happy ending. After looking for it again for months I'd finally given up, however, when my mum asked me to come shopping with her I reluctantly went along with all the money I had left (£25) and went round our boring shopping centre for hours watching my mum shop. After that hell I asked if we could go to the only game shop left to have one last look. You have no idea of the joy on my little face as I walked in the tiny shop and there, on the top shelf, was a boxed Ocarina of Time, second hand with a manual for £25. I savored every moment spent with that game, it was like finding the Holy Grail for me - except better.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I remember hearing about "I have no mouth and I must scream" way back in the day but had no interest in it. I read the short story in college and then remembered there was a game. The problem was that by that point the ONLY place you could get it was from some website and the price was incredibly high. So I eventually decided I wasn't gonna pay $100 for a copy of a buggy game.

So I completely forgot about it until it showed up on GOG.com and immediatly picked it up. I liked it but was glad I didn't spend $100 because it still has bugs.

Ygrez

Oct 6, 2009
As a child in the 90s, I had slowly gathered enough money to buy Earthbound, and when I finally had enough and went to the store, the last box that had been there for months was gone...

About 5 years ago as I was browsing a local video game store, what do I see? A used copy of Earthbound, best 40$ spent ever!

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
The collector's Edition (Paper Digipack) of Shadow Of The Colossus. Took me about 4 years to get my hands on.

Captcha: karma points. Well, thank you, captcha. And well-deserved, if I maay say so myself :)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Dead Century said:
Other M was also on the shelf for 80 bucks
Does not compute.

That game isn't worth even a quarter of that price, unless you get it for the sole purpose of wanting to discover how bad its story truly is.

OT: Uh... I dunno. I guess the most recent example would be when Gamestop started reselling the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii, but I'd already owned Metroid Prime and Prime 2 on the Gamecube, so I'm not sure if it really counts.

I will always be proud of the fact that I'm one of the six people who bought Okami back in 2006, though.
Yeah it was bizarre. Can't say I'm bothered by the story that everyone reviles, I just dig the gameplay after playing a bit at friend's place. Kind of a successor to Super Metroid.

Also, whoo! Okami! I've only got the HD remake.