I FINALLY learn Kung Fu to review Jade Empire.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
scotth266 said:
megapenguinx said:
scotth266 said:
MrBrightside919 said:
They sell Jade Empire on the Xbox Originals on Live (which is where I got it) so i'm almost 100% positive that the disk would work...
Methinks he was asking more if the Xbox version is supported by the 360 compatability updates. Gimmie a mo.
Exactly, since it'd be cheaper to find the original game than to drop $15 on Live.
Well, good and bad news alike here. Good news is it is supported, except in Widescreen format. Bad news is that it does have some glitches. From the god of information, Wikipedia:

A small number of textures in a few scenes do not show up. Old Tien's Landing ruins level stutters badly.
Given this, I'd say you'd probably have a better experience overall slapping down a few extra dollars for the PC version, or maybe the Original one... provided that it's the Special Edition.
Thanks you good sir! Since I have a Mac (damn Macs!!), I will try hunting down the S.E, but chances are I'll end up getting it on LIVE....

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
CountFenring said:
As usual, great review.

I'm noticing a large amount of Brentalfloss videos appearing in your reviews.

Secondly, I only used the videos because the situation was perfect. You have to admit olivera set himself up for that FF one very nicely :D
Yes, yes he did.

At some point, weren't you going to review either Far Cry Instincts? I completely forgot if that was you or someone else.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Thanks you good sir! Since I have a Mac (damn Macs!!), I will try hunting down the S.E, but chances are I'll end up getting it on LIVE....
If Macs can run Steam, you can get it right now for the relatively low price of 15 dollars American.

CountFenring said:
scotth266 said:
CountFenring said:
At some point, weren't you going to review either Far Cry Instincts? I completely forgot if that was you or someone else.
I did have that on my list, but since the old list got thrown out the window due to various events, right now I'm just playing things by ear. I'll probably do inFamous next... maybe LBP after that, and then it'll likely be a slew of PS2 titles. Far Cry has sadly dropped pretty far down on the list of priorities...

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
scotth266 said:
megapenguinx said:
If Macs can run Steam, you can get it right now for the relatively low price of 15 dollars American.
Macs can't, but I'll check through the crossover database to see if it's supported.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I own this game and never played it, which compliments the Xbox I own but never use quite nicely. Perhaps I should plug it in and give it a shot.

I think the fourth paragraph has too many bracketed aside sections, and actually feels as if it's two paragraphs merged together. The first half outlining the combat basics while the second half discusses combat issues. It's a pretty large paragraph as it is. If you broke it in half, you could deal with each subject in more detail without the danger of having it consume the review.

I like the review though. It actually makes me want to dig out my Xbox and give it a shot (sort of).

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Maet said:
I think the fourth paragraph has too many bracketed aside sections, and actually feels as if it's two paragraphs merged together. The first half outlining the combat basics while the second half discusses combat issues. It's a pretty large paragraph as it is. If you broke it in half, you could deal with each subject in more detail without the danger of having it consume the review.
I know what you mean: that paragraph was edited several times, for great justice.

It's frustrating really: I couldn't think of a good way to split them up into two paragraphs without making them both very short. Ah, well. Maybe I'll strike a good idea in the morning.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
Alas, this interesting idea is dropped almost immediately. The two philosophies quickly reveal themselves to just be the old good/evil choice all over again: the Open Palm decisions have you be kind and heroic, and the Closed Fist ones have you punching babies and taking their candy. It's a real pity too: at the start of the game I was really into the idea of being a Closed Fist, but when that was shown to just be an exercise in being a total douchebag, I quickly lost interest and starting following the Open Palm instead, as I can't stand being evil for evil's sake.
yeah especially since the last choice of the game decides which of the 2 endings you get (no joke)
if you do the good choice of breaking the machine you'll get maxed out open palm even if you've been a prick same goes the other way

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Bioware have never been very good at the whole Good/Evil thing. (Big bad dark jedi bullying a guy out of 100 credits feel the power of the dark side!)

At least in Mass Effect they gave up on pretending it was about anything other than whether you were a jerk or not.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
meh my biggest problem with the alignment system is that the game itself is usally programmed with a sort of bias (either the good side or bad side get's the most usefull powers or they'll get recolors of the same skill) or one side get's more usefull items/allies

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Yes, I love this game. I got it after finishing Mass Effect, and two playthroughs solidified my appreciation for it.

That being said, the morality system is just shy of of how it should be, as it often is even in Bioware's RPGs. But I did notice a tendency towards some of the minor situations to favor balance in your dialogue. Two prime examples: The Forest Shadow's riddle and your debate with the Westerner.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Excellent review. This sounds really interesting, and I would probably check it out if I had a proper computer to play it on...
Maybe I should check the Xbox version instead?

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
i remember buying this game on the xbox marketplace i was not dissapointed. its pretty good once you get into it.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Hm! Well, if Steam didn't cost munniez, I would check this out. If my 'puter ever gets to the point I can play Morrowind without it crashing ever fifteen minutes due to hardware overload, I'll see if Steam is supported on Linux.

EDIT: Also, the first pic? Elephant dude is a variant on Ganesh, an Indian god (not sure what of, but Wiki probably has it) and the Foxy chick is a kitsune spirit, the tricksters of the Japanese mythology, along with tanooki.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
RagnorakTres said:
Hm! Well, if Steam didn't cost munniez, I would check this out. If my 'puter ever gets to the point I can play Morrowind without it crashing ever fifteen minutes due to hardware overload, I'll see if Steam is supported on Linux.

EDIT: Also, the first pic? Elephant dude is a variant on Ganesh, an Indian god (not sure what of, but Wiki probably has it) and the Foxy chick is a kitsune spirit, the tricksters of the Japanese mythology, along with tanooki.
I thought that the spelling was tanuki, but that might be translators going SNAFU.

I already knew about the mythological references (big fan of mythos) but thanks anywho.

I believe that Steam doesn't work on Linux, but it never hurt to give it a shot.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
really?

i didn't enjoy the game

probably because I didn't transform enough

I used my first set of moves all throughout the game and the sword... and thats it
I beat the game EASILY!

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
scotth266 said:
RagnorakTres said:

I thought that the spelling was tanuki, but that might be translators going SNAFU.
Eh, it's pronounced "tanuki" but should be romanized "tanooki." Or it might be the other way around, I can never remember. My (non-existent) Japanese courses were a while ago. ("Tanuki/Tanooki" is the Japanese word for "raccoon" for all you people who are going "What the fuck are they talking about?" right now.) Japanese to English translation is a very loose science.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Excellent review, as I agree with many of your points and was unable to find any major errors, grammar related or otherwise.

I simply loved this game....Ahh, the memories.

RedDevil

Jul 5, 2009
Hmm... I'm really positive about buying this now. I'll probably get it next time I stop by a store, or I'll just get it on Steam.

Nice review, mate. ;)

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
scotth266 said:
Maet said:
I know what you mean: that paragraph was edited several times, for great justice.

It's frustrating really: I couldn't think of a good way to split them up into two paragraphs without making them both very short. Ah, well. Maybe I'll strike a good idea in the morning.
Don't fear some short paragraphs. Provides variation in the white space and can add punch to the information in them. You can even have an improper one just to emphasize a sentence or two.

But from your title I thought you had tried a touch of martial arts so you could compare game effect to irl effects. I take it you meant you mastered styles in the game. Lol. It was a nice review, but I wouldn't have minded seeing it reviewed from a martial-artist's point of view.

Thanks for reminding people of an AMAZINGLY GREAT game with an Elder Scrolls/Knights of the Old Republic type of engine. Bravo.