I get insulted because I buy my music...wait, what?

Taxicab Samurai

Dec 23, 2008
GiantRaven said:
[
What is the primary method in which bands have to release their music through? Record labels! No record labels = more limited exposure to new artists.

The second part of your post is spot on though. I just don't get why people think record labels aren't important towards getting bands to your ears.
Bands don't need record labels.
With so many ways for bands to get recognized (facebook, youtube, other media) we're seeing bands pop out of everywhere.

also read this.
http://business.ezinemark.com/unsigned-artists-success-with-no-record-label-16de624d281.html

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
A wise man by the name of Dimebag Darrell once said "you just gotta play music because you love to play music, and never even think about making a single fucking cent. Then you get so good at doing what you just do, somebody sees that in you and then bam! You get signed! Doesn't matter how many tickets you sell, but how you sell yourself"

This was a different, happier time but is still relevant. With the advent of the internet, we can't stop file-sharing without finding a whole new set of consequences that would be just as bad or worse. Musicians really just have to bite the bullet and play because there's nothing we'd rather be doing anyway.

The upside to said file-sharing is the rise of Independent record label sales while the major 5 are starting to deteriorate. This is in part because you pay for your music. Everybody can get their tunes for free, and that's how the Indies slip into an otherwise impossible system! Hear my music for free! Those of you with good character and integrity will pay and we can continue to play music for an ever growing audience! Point being, fuck those tools that insulted you. The music they listen to is probably recycled anyway. The Audio industry applauds you.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I have been insulted for having a job. Sorry I earn my money instead of having my parents give it to me.

Alex Berry said:
How do artist even make money anymore? That music you're stealing is somebody else's intellectual property.
Actually, artists never really made money off of their music. As I understand it Jack White was the first one to actually own his music as part of the record deal. Artists make money mostly off of merchandise sales and concerts.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Taxicab Samurai said:
Bands don't need record labels.
With so many ways for bands to get recognized (facebook, youtube, other media) we're seeing bands pop out of everywhere.
And that happens to be part of the problem. There are so many bands nowdays that it becomes almost impossible to be recognised in the sea of mediocrity that is music on the internet. How do you break past that? Why even bother to try?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
icame said:
I've gotten insulted by a number of people for the past few days because I told someone I buy all my music...does that make any sense at all? Sorry that I support those that work their asses of to make it so you have the music you like to listen to.

For discussion value, have you ever been insulted for something utterly retarded?
You are FAR from alone.

The problem is that the people who work their asses off typically see a very small amount of the money -- this is why you see some bands saying that they don't care at all if you download their music. Any semblance of artistic intent or integrity tends to disappear as you go up the corporate structure. There's very little difference, in the end, between a record company and, say, an oil company. Both want one thing: money. The issue is that one is exploiting a resource (ignore the problems that poses for a moment) while the other is exploiting people.

That said, I think that gives a good excuse for downloading, but it certainly doesn't give a good criticism for paying.

Addendum: My captcha was both legible AND not an advertisement. It's a miracle!

Taxicab Samurai

Dec 23, 2008
GiantRaven said:
And that happens to be part of the problem. There are so many bands nowdays that it becomes almost impossible to be recognised in the sea of mediocrity that is music on the internet. How do you break past that? Why even bother to try?
How have bands made it in the past?
Luck, timing, that's all it is.
Talent has something to do with it, or if you project to a crowd guaranteed to sell, teenage girls, party girls you know.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Taxicab Samurai said:
How have bands made it in the past?
Luck, timing, that's all it is.
Talent has something to do with it, or if you project to a crowd guaranteed to sell, teenage girls, party girls you know.
Yeah I suppose.

But damn, even if I did have aspirations of glory with my musical endeavours I would never stoop so low as to market towards the teen girl market. I guess it's a good thing I gave up before I ever got started really...

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
icame said:
I've gotten insulted by a number of people for the past few days because I told someone I buy all my music...does that make any sense at all? Sorry that I support those that work their asses of to make it so you have the music you like to listen to.
No. Insult them back for not buying their music, the tightassed, cheapskate, thieving cockmongers!

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
icame said:
I've gotten insulted by a number of people for the past few days because I told someone I buy all my music...does that make any sense at all?
I get insulted for being a girl sometimes, so just ignore the twat: there is ALWAYS at least one sad sod in the world who disagrees completely with your way of life for some reason (which is ok actually, if everyone was the same, we'd get bored quickly).

Also, kudos for buying your music :)

Personally, I help out with an online radio to help rarely-mainstream-because-it's-not-pop-music artists get some exposure, so I'm lucky I'm able to hear many types of music for "free" but I usually try to buy to the albums I enjoy, but I know not everyone can afford to do so, especially with the current economy. Still, kudos for helping out having good music keep coming to our ears :)

Jan 29, 2009
F-I-D-O said:
For reading comics
For playing Magic: The Gathering (one person making fun, and we had two two-headed giant matches going. The guy fled)
For enjoying pokemon
For playing video games (Really)
For playing battletech (The person didn't realize my teammate had a nerf gun (for fun, he had a artillery strike beacon). There's a reason the warning says not to aim at the eyes.)
For not having an xbox (hate fanboys)
Good lord, it is impossible to find anyone to play battletech these days. *thumbs up*

Anyways, I've been made fun of for playing Trombone.
"Gay," they claimed.
How much more heterosexual of an instrument can you get? It's a 4 foot-long instrument with an extending slide!

rushgus

Dec 29, 2009
I once got told off by some jackass because i like root beer better then beer. we had a drinking contest to see which drink would keep you conscious longer. After about 3 rounds he passed out. needless to say root beer won, he was okay though

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
shadyh8er said:
I dared to give The Dark Knight a four out of five instead of a perfect five.

Can't wait to see how people react when I tell them that I think Cowboy Bebop is the Dark Knight of anime; I can understand why people love it, I just feel that the qualities are blown WAY out of proportion.
Blasphemy!

DeadlyFred

Aug 13, 2008
I love how everyone on the internet has a degree in economics.

Yeah, it happens though. Lots of people these days seem to have this overblown sense of entitlement which says: anything that exists belongs to ME! And while I rather scoff at the whole "piracy is killing the industry" and "downloading music is like shoplifting", I scoff twice as hard at the little trollops who go around talking like it's their right; then imagine that they are actually doing the band a favor by going to a show and buying a t-shirt... after having pirated their entire discography.

Reality check, please.

Xenomemphate

Jul 16, 2010
Alex Berry said:
How do artist even make money anymore? That music you're stealing is somebody else's intellectual property.
Merchandise and tours. They only get a fraction of the money made from selling the CDs.

I got insulted for being good at physics...

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
rushgus said:
I once got told off by some jackass because i like root beer better then beer. we had a drinking contest to see which drink would keep you conscious longer. After about 3 rounds he passed out. needless to say root beer won, he was okay though
What constitutes a round? Because if that means a single beer your friend is hilariously light-weight when it comes to alcohol.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Lol, well it's actually my #3 game of all time that one... but hey if you don't like then that's cool :)

The beauty of stuff is that everyone likes different stuff.
Agreed! I really don't have a right to complain about fanboys and video games considering I'll never stop supporting that elf dude that sports green clothing and has an affinity for triangles.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
I've bought all my music on CD for about four years now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The only times I've pirated is when something is extremely obscure and hard to get on CD. I have all of one pirated album in my collection presently, and that's a record the band themselves refuse to reissue and are trying to disown.