I GOT TINNITUS! What terrifying illness do you have!

Cheesus Crust

Mar 8, 2012
When I was around 3 I had Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. Didn't really bother me though since I think I was too young to fully comprehend what was going on. In fact, it was during that time that I learned to get used to needles. I often cried when they took blood samples but the nurse just told me to calm down and not make a big deal about it and she was right. I mean it still hurts but I don't freak out or anything.

My second story is worse and started this year. I had a fever at around Thursday. It would subside then shoot right back up right after taking medicine. Its like whatever I took was no good as my temperature would rise about 2-3 hours later. I had a high fever for like 5 days. I felt like shit. Turns out I had tonsillitis.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
M-D-Emm said:
Since you guys are in a sharing mood I have Lymphoma was caught early will survive as long as my new year resolution involves a little bit of chemo.
Good luck with that.

I had (have) Hodgkins Lymphoma, last month I got the 'all clear' scan, fingers crossed it stays away.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Rheumatoid arthritis, seborrheic dermatitis and chronic recurring sinusitis. Yay....

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
My ears ring when its completely silent, so I reckon I have some kinda Tinnitus. As far as I can remember, this has always been the case.

But living in the tropics, I always sleep with at least a fan or aircon turned on, so I'm used to sleeping to some form of 'ambient noise'. Thus the whole ear ringing doesn't bother me much at all. Only when I go on holidays or such, I potentially have to deal with ears ringing sleeping in completely silent environments. Though often my family likes to save money and we end up sharing rooms and stuff so I have to deal with my dad's snoring anyway, so I ain't sleeping sound in either case.

It was bad once while I was studying in Australia. My fan broke down in winter, and since it was winter nobody sold the damn things. But I was living in a dorm-like place and thankfully someone tossed a perfectly working fan out because the stand broke. I just salvaged it, put it on the stand of my broken fan and got my sleep back.

LoLife

Dec 7, 2012
Eleuthera said:
M-D-Emm said:
Since you guys are in a sharing mood I have Lymphoma was caught early will survive as long as my new year resolution involves a little bit of chemo.
Good luck with that.

I had (have) Hodgkins Lymphoma, last month I got the 'all clear' scan, fingers crossed it stays away.
While we should be getting the typing today or next week the Doctor (hematopathologist)suspects from the slides its Hodgkins I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you as well many thanks.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I have narcolepsy, the kind that you sleep about 3 hours a night for the rest of your life, because of that I am pretty fatigued most of the time, but I've gotten used to that. I used to have asthma, but grew out of it. My genes put me on track for diabetes and high cholesterol, which thankfully I have neither, but I do have high blood pressure and a heart that beats a bit too fast. My genes also put me and my future offspring on the fast track for heart disease, bipolarism, OCD, serious craziness (the multiple personality kind), a few kinds of cancer, bad knees, alcoholism, and the above-mentioned narcolepsy, asthma, diabetes, high cholesterol/ blood pressure.

And that's just off the top of my head, my family has run afoul of the good health spirits on both sides, and are being cursed by a litany of problems, many of which are hereditary, good luck future Martins.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Couple of Cancer scares, some allergic reactions, never been seriously ill though.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Well I had a Fallopian tube torsion.
It was twisted 8 times (hurt like a fucking *****).
Had some large-ish ovarian cysts as well.

I have hormonal problems so my period is especially painful and unpredictable.
The pain is usually so bad that I have fainted and thrown up on occasion.
Thankfully, the pill has normalized my period so that they've become much more manageable.

Other than that, I haven't really had that many serious health problems.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
Does going head-first though a windshield count?
if not then i have to resolt to a second one. dental swelling. try eating with that, i dare you.
May I ask why you decided the windshield was the best way to exit a car rather than the traditional door approach? lol jokes aside, what happened?
enter*
i got run over.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
Does going head-first though a windshield count?
if not then i have to resolt to a second one. dental swelling. try eating with that, i dare you.
May I ask why you decided the windshield was the best way to exit a car rather than the traditional door approach? lol jokes aside, what happened?
enter*
i got run over.
That just plain outright sucks, I hope you weren't injured too badly. Was it the drivers fault or?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
One morning I woke up and the sound in my right ear was something like someone rustling a plastic bag full of water. It eventually faded but I was stressed as hell thinking it might be permanent, you generally equate 'hearing loss' with a dulled sensitivity, not loud fugly noises - but they can happen.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Migraine.
I can go from completely normal to having head-splitting agony within 15 minutes. I've endured this shit for 20 years. People do not understand what a migraine feels like. They think it's just like a headache. Once, my teacher in middle school told me I couldn't go home because of a migraine. She changed her mind when I started vomiting and was unable to walk in a straight line. I've broken bones before, and that actually hurts less than a migraine.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Hmmm...
My most terrifyng medical-related story was, I think, the time I broke my leg when taking out the trash. It was the middle of the day and there was noone around, and left my cell phone at home, so couldn't even call for help. I don't know how I managed to drag myself home, with my bone sticking out and leaving a trail of blood behind me. But I was pretty panicked.

Apart from that, it's nothing terrifying just very painful.
I frequently suffer from migraine headaches that leave me crippled for up to 3 days at a time. Tripping on the aura for half an hour is not worth it. What's worse, my favourite comfort snacks of chocolate, coffee, cheese and red wine intensify the pain.
Similarly to Cheery over there, my periods also leave me crippled, fainting and throwing up, for several days a month.
It even can be said that...

my life is pain.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
an annoyed writer said:
Unfortunately it is somewhat historical (My dad had kidney and gall bladder stones) so the best advice I can give is to ease up on the soda and salty stuff. Luckily by doing so you'll also prevent unwanted weight gain.
Drink a LOT of water once the stone is gone so you won't make any new ones, that's what they told me, and red wine, for some reason, but I think I'm going to ignore that advice.

*sigh*

Farewell sweets and salts, on to a healthier life.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Snippity Snip
Yeah, when I was younger I thought that it was a normal part of the human experience (It wasn't until four or five years ago I was actually diagnosed by a doctor) because you usually block it out mentally during the day until it gets too loud to ignore, so I can see why it would be a real bugger for people who pick it up halfway through their lifetime. The point where it really gets annoying is when you're trying to sleep or you've got a migraine (which I get quite often) and you just want somewhere peaceful and quiet but you've got this fucking dog whistle going off inside your head.

guidance

Dec 9, 2010
Does crohns disease count as an illness? If so then crohns disease. I've had 25 cm of my intestines removed because of it, but now "technically" crohns free, but not permanently, crohns likes to come back randomly.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Nouw said:
Eczema. It's under control for now, I no longer have trouble sleeping :).
My eczema never stopped me sleeping. Instead I wake up unable to actually move the left side of my face 'cause it's so damn dry. On a dry, hot day I become the Phantom of the Opera. It's frustratingly amusing.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
Not a disease, but I have eczema on both hands and on my hip, meaning I have to constantly wear medical pads to stop it from rubbing against my clothing, which hurts like hell on a pogo stick.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I too have had tinnitus. Anyone who is familiar with the heavy rock scene knows ringing in your ears is natural after a show. The problem is that it usually mostly goes away after a day or so. So I went to this one Lamb of God show once and ended up moshing right in front of the 16 or so half stacks they had piled up on one side of the stage. After 72 hours and still no reduction in ringing I was freaking the hell out. People had to yell in order for me to hear them. I literally had to say "what? can you talk louder?" to a teacher because I couldn't hear him over the ringing. He thought I was being a smart ass so I just walked out of the class and went home. Anyway, it never truly went away, and I can still hear it sometimes, but those few weeks after the concert were truly brutal.

On a more long term note, I have Ehlers Danols Syndrome type III, i.e., connective tissue disorder hallmarked by hypermobility and various other manifestations. It basically means my body produces poor collagen, and as a result my joints are shit. It hurts constantly and injury is common. Despite this, my muscles work normally, so I'm not physically weak or anything. My joints just suck (though it does have other, less noticeable musculoskeletal/dermatological ramifications). It also causes depression, brain fog, and other shit.