I GOT TINNITUS! What terrifying illness do you have!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
Does going head-first though a windshield count?
if not then i have to resolt to a second one. dental swelling. try eating with that, i dare you.
May I ask why you decided the windshield was the best way to exit a car rather than the traditional door approach? lol jokes aside, what happened?
enter*
i got run over.
That just plain outright sucks, I hope you weren't injured too badly. Was it the drivers fault or?
it was my fault, i went across the street where i shouln't have without looking.
i had a brain restart (loss of consciousness for short period of time) and they decided there was a concussion. but i felt fine.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
if not then i have to resolt to a second one. dental swelling. try eating with that, i dare you.
May I ask why you decided the windshield was the best way to exit a car rather than the traditional door approach? lol jokes aside, what happened?
enter*
i got run over.
That just plain outright sucks, I hope you weren't injured too badly. Was it the drivers fault or?
it was my fault, i went across the street where i shouln't have without looking.
i had a brain restart (loss of consciousness for short period of time) and they decided there was a concussion. but i felt fine.
Fair enough, a silly thing to do. Lucky it wasn't a worse result. Next time you may remember not to go walking blindly onto a road :p lol

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I have tinnitus too, it's not super fun. I've had it for what seems like forever now so I can't remember when I got it and I have no idea what caused it. It really only bothers me when it gets quiet like when I'm trying to go to sleep at night and even then it doesn't keep up too much. It can get distracting sometimes though. And it is somewhat disturbing that this is a permanent condition, that it will never go away.

... I have the weirdest feeling of déjà vu right now as I'm certain I've posted in a thread about this before, and fairly recently too, yet I can't find it in my post history... oh well, maybe I just imagined it.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
enter*
i got run over.
Fair enough, a silly thing to do. Lucky it wasn't a worse result. Next time you may remember not to go walking blindly onto a road :p lol
yep, lesson certainly learned.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I have impaired fine motor skills, don't know what caused but it's apparently serious enough that I get special treatment from the school. Still, reading all of your commments makes my problem not seem so bad.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
enter*
i got run over.
If I may ask, how does it feel to be run over? I've done it alot in GTA etc, but never experienced it.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Akimoto said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Epilepsy.
I did a presentation on Deja Vu and the best medical evidence comes from the study of epilepsy, without which the psychological community would have no biological basis to study memory. I'm trying to encourage you but at this point in time I am at a loss for words - two of my army buds suffer from epilepsy.
I do get deja vu, quite a lot recently actually. It can be terrifying thinking you're reliving the same moment, especially if you're a fan of sci-fi and philosophy and know about things like alien mind-control and the eternal recurrence.

I believe the theory of deja vu is that the brain thinks it remembers what is happening at the present time, so it's purely a malfunction of the memory processes to regard an experience as new. Is that about right?

OT: Reactive Hyperglycemia, blood sugar problem and it means I cannot eat processed sugar/carbohydrates. On the plus side, lots of experimenting to find out which food I can or cannot take. =)
I'm on that diet too, for my seizures - they've found it works for some people. The best part is lots of sugar free cheesecake! (makes up half my food intake for the day)

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
I became Diabetic when I was 4, I've had it all my life.

Hell, I'm so used to it I can't actually see a life where I DON'T inject myself 5 times a day!

SirPigglesworth

Aug 14, 2012
Tricuspid atresia. Here's a link if you're going "Huh?" [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002100/]
Had it since birth so I'm not to bothered about it and tend to look to the positives (I've got a super cool chest scar so I can make up stories about shark attacks). I avoid looking stuff up about it because whatever happens happens. It can get annoying when trying to exercise because I tire easily I used to not be able to walk because it was so bad. But for someone for my condition, I'm doing better than my cardiologist expected.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
enter*
i got run over.
If I may ask, how does it feel to be run over? I've done it alot in GTA etc, but never experienced it.
confusing. you get hit, black out, come to it when the body is already reflecively trying to stand up, dont understand what happens. i even tried to "walk it off" before the driver stopped me and only then i realized what happened.
Then again, GTA folk do just walk it off.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I used to be a massive hypochondriac, then I read this thread. I've got ADD, and Social Anxiety Disorder but neither of those is serious. I'm taking meds for both. Clinical depression apparently runs in my family, but while I've gotten depressed it's never lasted more than a few hours and usually involves feeling sorry for myself so I know it's not clinical depression. However, I know I drink way too much soda and eat somewhat poorly which I'm trying to change before it leads to something bad.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I got the noro virus which was a nightmare.

Apart from that I have an lazy eye and was diagnosed with a personality disorder.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
This may be the first time I've ever talked about this except with a doctor:

I hear music in my head. Constantly. Sometimes stuff I've never even heard before. It' not extremely loud, and I tend to find it rather pleasant really. Usually it's organ or strings, every now and again it's piano or guitar though. Sometimes it's more like a non-descript tinnitus kind of buzz or ringing sound that likes to organize itself into notes.

It started when I was maybe 6 as just a faint buzzing or ringing that was on and off, but as I got older it started arranging itself into separate notes. I think I was around 9 when I started to hear polyphony and 12 when it became distinct instruments. Around 14 the new songs (the ones that I hadn't heard before) had clear form and structure.

I really don't know if 'hear' is the right word, more like it plays constantly in my thoughts, like you can sort of hear it in the same way you hear when you think to yourself.

I had a few tests done- it's not a symptom of schizophrenia or bipolar or anything severe and it occurs on its own (unrelated, I do have ADHD but the two don't really seem to coincide all that much), and it's not so loud that I can't hear what's happening around me, so I've no plans to seek 'treatment' for it. Like I said, I tend to enjoy it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Strazdas said:
enter*
i got run over.
When it happened to me I didn't feel a thing, that might be lent to severe repression and the medically induced coma though.

I wouldn't suggest trying it.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Nothing particularly physical, but mentally I'm Basically (In official terms) A crazy ************.
Social anxiety, Depression, Other illness cause me to occasionally lapse into hallucinations, nd do't think it cuntsut claustraphobia.

Physically I'm fine, its just my brain that doesn't work properly.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I have gout. I can tell you this.....it suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Every so often one of feet swells up like a balloon and if anything heavier than a mosquito touches it, there's an amount of pain involved that doesn't seem possible. Bad flare ups can take upwards of 3 weeks to clear up....normal ones, about a week and a half. To make matters worse, I have to change my diet to keep flare ups down. That means I have to limit shell fish.....Not a problem as I don't eat much though I do love shrimp......red meat...Challenging since I live in Texas but it's doable......and alcohol.....oh screw that! I guess I need to get down to my doctor so I get put on a preventative of some sorts but I don't remember his name.

Aug 19, 2010
renegade7 said:
I hear music in my head.
I have the same thing, just not constant. Disturbingly frequent, but not constant.
I also have some weird sleep disorder. Regardless of the amount of time I sleep, if i'm woken up before 9am(approximately) i'm tired as fuck for the whole day, but if woken up after 9am i'm hyperactive for the whole day. Say I fall asleep quite early, sleep more than the theoretical suitable amount, but get woken up, say, at 7, then I have to actively battle the urge to just fall asleep. But say i pull an all-nighter, go to sleep at 6am, wake up at 10am same day, and i'm like a hamster on coffee. Something about my bio-rhythm or something like that, some docs say that my body simulates the sensation of fatigue/lack of fatigue depending on the situation. Since i go to school, this is quite and issue for me, but i feel lucky, since it's small-time compared to the other stuff in this thread.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Ever have strep throat? It's really unpleasant, especially since you can't even swallow without feeling pain...

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Had partial paralysis once, that was not fun. Other than that nothing

Read everyone elses posts, now I feel like I'm very fortunate, you have my utmost sympathy guys.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I've had tinnitus since I was 6, which itself was from intracranial hypertension which caused me to have double vision and could have made me blind if it hadn't been treated. And that was possible cos I never told anyone about it, no one found out until someone noticed I always closed one eye.

Apart from that I haven't had much. I rarely get ill. Although I'm a bit worried for the future cos both of my parents had cancer before they reached 50.