I GOT TINNITUS! What terrifying illness do you have!

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Nothing terrifying, but I have allergies to grass, lilac, and pine. Guess what my house is surrounded by.

Oh, I forgot and this makes me feel stupid that I forgot since I deal with it everyday. I'm Dyslexic. It's not a problem though unless I have to read out loud.

Karelwolfpup

Jul 5, 2012
had a case of the norovirus more than once, scared the piss out of me the first time I had it because the symptoms came on so quickly and so severely. Nothing like your own body voiding stomach acid to keep you awake and alert as your vision swims, center of gravity turns to shit, literally, your skin itches like you're cold Turkeyin' crack and you're drenched in your own sweat.

I also have a "high risk" form of asthma, it doesn't affect me day to day except in winter, but if I get a chest cold of someone or an infection goes to my chest, then I might as well be drowning in air as my lungs say "fuck you, you want oxygen? call someone else, I'm on break"
Had several such attacks over the years, so I always have that to look forward to at some stage.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
For a while I thought I had ear cancer, I'm not joking it was terrifying, then I found out it was just a really bad cyst.

It lasted about a year before going away.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Marter said:
Story 1: I had severe stomach pain for a good month or so, which kept me from school for about half the time, while the rest I could barely focus.

In the last week of the month, I lost 12 lbs in 3 days, so we figured it was finally time to take me to the hospital (yeah, my parents decided then was the time, not the previous 3-4 weeks).

I wound up staying there a week, underwent a bunch of tests and got told I have Crohn's. So I had some relatively aggressive treatment to bring it down, and now I still have to go in for treatment every 8 weeks.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to my brother. Which is concerning for me because my father and brother have Crohn's and it's a genetic thing.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I had a sporting injury in '92 where I destroyed half of my face. That's not the terrifying illness/disease part. For the months following I had to push puss out of my left tearduct manually. Because my tearduct basically failed on me.

I would have moments where I would wake up in the morning with my eyes glued shut.

Two years following I woke up with the entire area around my left eye freaking huge and bulging out. I screamed in horror. It was a staph infection. The doctors wanted to look at it later, but the fact that it was so close to my brain made my time there pushed up a little faster. Four nurses held me to a table and a doctor came at me with a needle, to the tearduct. You'd be surprised just how many little nerves bundle up in that area, and he did not want to use numbing. Having my arm ripped off by sharks would have been less painful than that needle in my tearduct for 30 seconds, followed by a secondary jab.

After that I pushed blood from my eye for two weeks before getting a second staph infection. Went back to the doctor, to which he said, "Well, guess the needle was kind of pointless then. Let's go to surgery." Where I spent another two weeks in bed puking blood and drinking soup and Mt Dew through a straw.

Still get nightmares about it.

Oh, there was another time more recently. I had a bad cough and my inner ear was cripplingly painful. I went to the doctor, who told me to take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Went back two days later far worse. He took a q-tip, rammed it into the back of my throat, and told me I was fine. Minor Virus, everyone had it. Few days of suffering later, I could not lay down without coughing violently. Then I could not breath. Was rushed to the ER because one of my tonsils took over my throat. Tonsillitis. They shot me with some kind of medicine and drugged me up for a few days and I was right as rain.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Uh......I broke my ankle in three places yet spent a week at home limping around assuring people that "it's just a sprain". That's all I've got but it's not really an illness, more me being a fucking idiot.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
HA! I beat all of you people. I had Shingles in high school! Whooooo, still number one baby!

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
I got Bell's Paulsey back in February 2011. Partial Paralysis Of the face. Not fun. Spent a month slurring like a drunk and drooling like a dog. Had to manually close my right eye to keep it wet. What opened me up to this kind of ailment? Mono. I didn't get it the fun way, either. That was painful as fuck. I couldn't eat for a week, and I couldn't sleep for longer. The worst part is that some of the meds only made things worse.
Oh dear lord. Someone I can relate to! I had the exact same ailment about two or three years back and also in February, it drove me a tiny bit insane because I could barely get any sleep and was still expected to go to school...Good thing it only lasted 2-3 weeks.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Epilepsy.
I did a presentation on Deja Vu and the best medical evidence comes from the study of epilepsy, without which the psychological community would have no biological basis to study memory. I'm trying to encourage you but at this point in time I am at a loss for words - two of my army buds suffer from epilepsy.

OT: Reactive Hyperglycemia, blood sugar problem and it means I cannot eat processed sugar/carbohydrates. On the plus side, lots of experimenting to find out which food I can or cannot take. =)

Sweaty feet, thank God for foot powder.

High blood pressure, that's partly in my genes and mostly my fault.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Vault101 said:
I think I have a bit of tinnitus...probably from over use of headphones...while I cna ignore it makes me worry since I love music...and headphones...
Can you have just a bit? Because I'm not sure I've ever been in a quiet room and not heard ringing. It doesn't bother me at all and I barely ever notice it, but its there :/

MiracleOfSound said:
Genetic Long QT Syndrome, or 'Could drop down dead at any minute' syndrome. Thankfully no symptoms just yet and am on Beta Blockers.
What the what? That sounds terrifying! :(

Is it a heart condition? Other organs?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot who forgot about wikipedia XD

Apparently you can have a heart attack randomly because of some "triggers"?"

Seagoon said:
You said before that you've had it forever right? Is it just bad in quiet rooms, or everywhere?

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I don't haven't really had much "physical" health issues, but I do have asberger's and Social Anxiety disorder (Great combo right XD).

The latter one is both retarded (Because its basically my fault) and awful in a subtle way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety_disorder

Basically for anyone who has a phobia, imagine the thing you freak out at and replace that with social situations. All of them... some more than others. And its not like I can outwardly freak out in the situation either, because that will make the anxiety worse.

If you have this, you either have no friends at all, or you learn to "face your fear" pretty well. Not that it ever goes away though... even around friends. It just gets diminished :(

Oh well *shrugs*

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Doctor misdiagnosed me with a gastric infection, when it was in fact a very bad case of Appendicitis...
2 weeks later I got a second opinion.
1 week after that I got out of hospital with a giant scar on my abdomen...

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
really itchy rash on my big toe ''heat set it off'', it was there for over a year or 2,it went and came back in cycles. its finally gone now.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Crohn's Disease. Had to have my entire large intestine removed and I almost died because the Remicade (one of the drugs they use to try and fight it) gave me an allergic reaction, and since it is taken by an IV, well, you can guess what happened.

I had an ostomy bag for about 8 months (illeostomy, not colostomy, since I didn't have my colon anymore). I then had J-Pouch surgery, so now my small intestine does the job of both. I have to use the bathroom about twice as much as a normal person would, and I have to watch what I eat constantly. I am also taking Humira (similar to Remicade, but I'm not allergic and it's taken by injection once every two weeks).

So yeah... it's not fun.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I got chicken pox when I was a baby, and the shingles came back with a vengeance when I was only 8. Good news is I don't think I have to worry about that anymore. And I only got scars on my legs, so not a big deal.

I was born with knocked knees, which are mostly fixed, but still give me problems occasionally. It's not as bad recently, since I lost a lot of weight over the summer, so there's less pressure on my knees.

And lastly, I have anger issues. Which I guess is my own fault, but hey. I've been dealing with it.

Actually, right now, I have no major mental or physical health concerns. And now that I've said that, I'll probably get diagnosed with Crohn's disease tomorrow...

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I had knee surgery in late July and ended up with a blood clot that I didn't realize I had until September. Found out about it because I went to a visit for my doctor and found out my heart was beating at 130 beats per minute... at rest. I ended up having to go to the hospital(first time I've ever been admitted into a hospital), then found out I not only had a clot but some of it broke off and got into my lungs. As it turns out I was lucky we caught it when we did, because if more broke off it could have passed through my heart and killed me.

Now the day before I had my knee surgery one of my uncles died of the same exact thing... so yeah, that was "fun".

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011

The worst thing I've ever had is a cold.

Should I start saying that the amount of people with physical illnesses is terrifying? I mean in the viewpoint that it's getting more common spread especially in the U.S. Would now be a good time for me to mention that the U.S has water that while still legal is still unsafe? That and only 60% of the country has tertiary level water treatment? Not mentioning the private wells which are not subject to standards unless the owner gets them checked.

Don't even get me started on the now proven effects on growth that pesticides may have(a comparison between children living in areas where they are exposed to pesticides and areas where they aren't). Or that most antibiotics are used in farm animals, which means there's a higher risk of super-viruses. Or that chemicals and heavy metals like round-up are found in bodies of many Americans due to bio accumulation. Or the over-medication. Or the gastrointestinal problems caused by GMO's.

I do believe there's going to be a reckoning for being lax when it comes to public health. It doesn't have to as dramatic as Love Canal or Minimata.

*ahem*

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to be perfectly healthy for now. I think.

I however have had more vaccines than I can count. That's a possible explanation. I even had one for tuberculosis. "Just in case".

It's good to have healthcare I guess.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
pretty minor crohn's, only instead of going to the bathroom more often i only really go once or twice a week.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I've had bad migraines where if I ran or did anything physical They'd come man they would stay for the whole day maybe two then go away then come back sometimes worse good news was they only came during the summer bad news was I have a whole month and a half of tortuous pain before I finally get over it (think it's an allergy honestly)

also burning itching sensation on my back occasionally but they just flare up and are gone soon don't know what it means

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
I have Fibromyalgia and several damaged discs in my neck.The pain is indescribable and without opiates I'd be in constant agony 24/7.I'm on a waiting list for surgery,thank god.I also get severe migraines and can spend 4 days in bed vomiting and clutching my head in misery.
I also have Fuchs'Dystrophy(the thing that makes Gaben look googly-eyed) and could go blind if I don't have a corneal transplant when I'm older.Did I mention I'm an artist and writer and kinda need my sight?
On a milder note,I had pneumonia and pleurisy 4 weeks ago and I coughed so hard I've fractured several ribs.I ended up in hospital.The pneumonia's nearly gone but the ribs hurt like a *****.
Fun times.
At least sex,food,humor and video games exist.They make it all a bit more bearable.