I hate Ocarina of Time 3D

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
nima55 said:
that's nice. And it was important to tell us... why?
contrarian points of view are what keeps everything in this world interesting and moving forward.
Torrasque said:
Jailbird408 said:
Maybe the greatest game ever is hiding behind the Forest Temple, which contains a room with 3 skeleton sodiers that are ridiculously hard to defeat, you have to take them on at the same time, and if you take too long killing the last one, the first one you killed COMES BACK TO LIFE AND SLICES YOU OPEN WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL THIS LAST ONE. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?
THAT is what you are stuck on?
My god man, you fucking suck at Zelda.

I personally love OoT on my 3DS, its improving upon everything I liked in OoT for my N64.
The fact that you're stuck on a kinda hard part I guess, is hilarious.
If you complained about the silliness of Jabu-Jabu in master quest, or how skeleton soldiers are really really fucking hard to fight when they do double damage, then I'd say your QQ is warranted, but its not.

Yes nostalgia makes OoT seem so much better than it actually is, but I don't understand why you are so buttmad about this.
that was worse than what he said. and what he said was merely a truth for someone who isn't playing the game through nostalgia goggles

don't worry Jailbird, i know how you feel. everyone here loves Deus Ex, Half Life, and Dragon Age so much that anyone who even had a REMOTELY bad time with it is automatically considered to "suck" at video games because they beat it right out of the womb or some shit.

i hated all those games because i grew up with Starcraft and games which were user-friendly and overall more fun. it's like when yahtzee said "i played wind waker and super mario sunshine before ocirana of time and mario 64 and i thought both were better in every way".

it's really an issue of games evolving so much that playing newer ones before older ones makes the older ones seem shitty in comparison [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny] (a real-life trope video games seem VERY susceptible to) and the fact that the Nostalgia Filter [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter] is in FULL effect here.

anyone who is enamored with it so much that they will attack anyone who dares not enjoy it and dares express that opinion is simply someone who was playing zelda since before we were born or grew up playing it.

age has nothing to do with how easy a game is.

i beat Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Land 2: Land of the Golden Coins, Wario Land, Super Mario Bros., Crash Bandicoot (the originals on PS1), Twisted Metal (1, 2, 3, and 4), Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (more than once, and all in one go without saving), Unreal Tournament, and Starcraft all on my own with no cheats, no looking up info on any of the games, and learned nearly every aspect of each and every one of those games to the point where i had 99% completion in Crash Bandicoot and had nearly unlimited lives in Super Mario Land 2 and could win countless battles in Starcraft without even trying...

and all before i was 12.

yet now i can't even get past the first level on Deus Ex (which people ridicule me for because apparently it's "easy"), can't play Dragon Age on any difficulty above easy (and i STILL find it too hard), and can't handle Half Life because it's just so god damn frustrating and unintuitive by today's standards.

As are most old games.

As yahtzee once said "there's nothing special about old games, they're just old."

Ocarina of Time is a game that does NOT hold up by today's standards.

And besides, there are different kinds of difficulty associated with different kinds of games, so using the catch-all phrase "you suck" to justify your love of an old game is just stupid. i'm good at strategy and platforming games, that doesn't mean i suck at video games because i can't beat deus ex or dragon age.

maybe someone isn't good at one or two particular games, but going all out and going "YOU FUCKING SUCK! NOOB!" just because it was YOUR game they didn't enjoy doesn't justify your remark.

reported.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
nima55 said:
that's nice. And it was important to tell us... why?
contrarian points of view are what keeps everything in this world interesting and moving forward.
Torrasque said:
Jailbird408 said:
Maybe the greatest game ever is hiding behind the Forest Temple, which contains a room with 3 skeleton sodiers that are ridiculously hard to defeat, you have to take them on at the same time, and if you take too long killing the last one, the first one you killed COMES BACK TO LIFE AND SLICES YOU OPEN WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL THIS LAST ONE. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?

I personally love OoT on my 3DS, its improving upon everything I liked in OoT for my N64.
If you complained about the silliness of Jabu-Jabu in master quest, or how skeleton soldiers are really really fucking hard to fight when they do double damage, then I'd say your QQ is warranted, but its not.

Yes nostalgia makes OoT seem so much better than it actually is, but I don't understand why you are so buttmad about this.
that was worse than what he said. and what he said was merely a truth for someone who isn't playing the game through nostalgia goggles

don't worry Jailbird, i know how you feel. everyone here loves Deus Ex, Half Life, and Dragon Age so much that anyone who even had a REMOTELY bad time with it is automatically considered to "suck" at video games because they beat it right out of the womb or some shit.

i hated all those games because i grew up with Starcraft and games which were user-friendly and overall more fun. it's like when yahtzee said "i played wind waker and super mario sunshine before ocirana of time and mario 64 and i thought both were better in every way".

it's really an issue of games evolving so much that playing newer ones before older ones makes the older ones seem shitty in comparison [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny] (a real-life trope video games seem VERY susceptible to) and the fact that the Nostalgia Filter [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter] is in FULL effect here.

anyone who is enamored with it so much that they will attack anyone who dares not enjoy it and dares express that opinion is simply someone who was playing zelda since before we were born or grew up playing it.

age has nothing to do with how easy a game is.

i beat Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Land 2: Land of the Golden Coins, Wario Land, Super Mario Bros., Crash Bandicoot (the originals on PS1), Twisted Metal (1, 2, 3, and 4), Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (more than once, and all in one go without saving), Unreal Tournament, and Starcraft all on my own with no cheats, no looking up info on any of the games, and learned nearly every aspect of each and every one of those games to the point where i had 99% completion in Crash Bandicoot and had nearly unlimited lives in Super Mario Land 2 and could win countless battles in Starcraft without even trying...

and all before i was 12.

yet now i can't even get past the first level on Deus Ex (which people ridicule me for because apparently it's "easy"), can't play Dragon Age on any difficulty above easy (and i STILL find it too hard), and can't handle Half Life because it's just so god damn frustrating and unintuitive by today's standards.

As are most old games.

As yahtzee once said "there's nothing special about old games, they're just old."

Ocarina of Time is a game that does NOT hold up by today's standards.

And besides, there are different kinds of difficulty associated with different kinds of games, so using the catch-all phrase "you suck" to justify your love of an old game is just stupid. i'm good at strategy and platforming games, that doesn't mean i suck at video games because i can't beat deus ex or dragon age.

maybe someone isn't good at one or two particular games, but going all out and going "YOU FUCKING SUCK! NOOB!" just because it was YOUR game they didn't enjoy doesn't justify your remark.

reported.
OoT is the game I get friends of mine to play, that don't play any games, or don't play any Nintendo games "because they're gay", or because they've never played any Zelda before.
I've never had a single friend of mine get stuck from enemies before.
Sure they've had trouble with some bosses (1 couldn't quite get the trick of Shadow Ganon his first time, but did fine his second try) and some parts have left them confused "Where do I go now? STUPID WATER TEMPLE!", but never to the point where they throw up their hands and make an angry post about it.

Maybe I am being too harsh, I'm probably not being very understanding too.
But when I get stuck on a part, I don't ragequit. I go online to see if anyone else is having the problem, and how I can get around it. I ask my friends for tips on how they got past certain trouble parts. I've even restarted the game to see if the way I did things was wrong.

I guess my level of determination for games, is different from yours.
lol @ reported

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
macacos2 said:
Jailbird408 said:
I get into the game, I start having fun, and then the difficulty spikes so hard it comes back around and rapes you.
Did you really just said that the game is terrible because it's actually challenging?

Are you mental?
you didn't hear what yahtzee was saying in this did you? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1321-Demons-Souls]

there's nothing wrong with a challenge, but trying to break down a brick wall with your forehead is grounds for getting fucking sectioned.

this game comes from a time when being obscure and expecting the player to have the reflexes of a cat on a caffeine binge was okay

nowadays it's only a niche thing with most games focusing on FUN instead of nipple-slicing challenge.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Thanks for your opinion on the game but you should be aware that even if you don't like many people do like the game. So long as you understand and accept others people's tastes (or at lest tolerate them) then everything is cool, just don't get so mad that you start saying dumb things.

I do like OoT though, though its not my favorite Zelda game.

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
You know, I kind of fee like my dad, because all I can think of is: "You had to be there." ou see, I remember Ocarina of Time on the old N64 (that feels weird to say), a machine specifically designed to insure the youth does not rise up and take over the world by crippling all of our wrist movement.

Imagine the problem you're having, and then try to imagine holding the old N64 controller, seriously. The difficulty curve shot off it's shit the second you add in another hand movement, it was like Guitar hero, except Nintendo Hates you.

So, how is this considered the greatest games of all time? Well, the easy answer is that it just is, it is spectacular game, with quite an amount of imagination (at least for the time). But, the harder answer for those of us in our mid to late 20s is that... well... Back then "3D" games meant Tanks or Duke Nukem 3D. Fully rendered, and on consoles (PC had already had this for years) was something that was really new and good. I'm not kidding, that when N64 came out we probably would have accepted anything in full 3D rendering.

Ocarina of Time may very well be a relic of the past by now. In a world where we can have several enemies and pixel precision fighting, it's kind of hard to look back and remember a time in which graphics weren't all that smooth and half the game was played behind the nostalgic glasses..

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
We at the escapist know Ocarina of Time isn't a god send.

That title belongs to Wind Waker or Majora's Mask.

Come at me, Bro.
I honestly thought windwaker is complete trash, Majoras even worse. All garbage. Link to the past only good game in the series.

Come at me, Bro.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
Jailbird408 said:
I just do. It is the worst game I have ever played. I'm not trolling, I legitimately hate this game. I went in expecting an engrossing story, gripping action and fiendish puzzles. I should be getting it, but the game keeps throwing up hurdles and forces me to visit the Sheikah stone more than I should be.

It's the exact same reason I hate LOS:TEN. (Oh, god, here I go again...) I get into the game, I start having fun, and then the difficulty spikes so hard it comes back around and rapes you.

But this game is even worse because I was expecting the greatest game ever. Maybe the greatest game ever is hiding behind the Forest Temple, which contains a room with 3 skeleton sodiers that are ridiculously hard to defeat, you have to take them on at the same time, and if you take too long killing the last one, the first one you killed COMES BACK TO LIFE AND SLICES YOU OPEN WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL THIS LAST ONE. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?

If you've never played Ocarina of Time before, don't waste your money. It's a festering pile of rotten fruit glittered up with fancy 3D graphics. Do not play this game. You will just set yourself up for a kick in the balls.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I bought the 3DS at launch, SSBB is my favorite game, and I make NES/SNES pixel art in Minecraft. So if this game is bad to someone who follows Nintendo like a puppy on a leash, it has to be pathetic.

Go ahead. Flame me.
.....You do realize I beat this game when I was around 12 or 13 years old without too much difficulty right?

It was a fun game then - I don't know about now, but I enjoyed it then. Therefore, I must respectfully disagree with your opinion!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Wow. Does nobody have any actual skill anymore? Or am I so used to this by now that it seems trivial to me?

Ocarina of time contains some tedious stuff, but it isn't hard to me.

Granted, by comparison, the likes of Wind Waker, and especially Twilight Princess are in fact, for the most part much, much easier...

But... That's all relative.

If you happen to have played both the SNES version of A link to the Past, AND the GBA re-release, you'd be surprised at just how much easier the GBA version actually is.

I mean, there's a whole puzzle which has pretty much been neutered, and a boss that seems to die with about 1/5th the damage it used to.

If that's any indication of what Nintendo thinks of modern gamers, it shows there's nowhere near as much tolerance for difficulty as there used to be.
Which you seem to be indicating.

Anyway... Stalfos? Really?

If you haven't given up completely, you'll hate shadow gannon, and abolutely loathe mirror link...

(Ironically, the end boss battles are easier than both of these...)

But you are right about one thing; Ocarina of time isn't as brilliant as it's made out to be.

It's merely brilliant for it's time.
Which is entirely different.

Taken out of context, and compared to modern games, no. It's not that great.

But I have to say, as a (by now) 20 year veteran of Zelda games, I have the opposite problem you are having:

The most recent zelda games are just too easy. (And also filled with tedious padding. I mean, collecting tears? really? - That's not particularly difficult, just really, really tedious.
But, of course, Wind Waker was worse with that whole treasure map / find the bits of the triforce nonsense...)

That's the problem with a complaint like this:

To you, ocarina of time is too hard.

To me, the newer iterations are too easy.

Try to please either one of us, and the other will be disappointed.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Well, you'll all be happy to know that I've changed my opinion of Ocarina of Time. Yeah, it's a little obtuse, but it's so much fun now that I've gotten past the regenerating skeletons. Thanks to whoever suggested the Deku Nuts, you really helped me out.

Now can we all just forget this ever happened so I can regain my credibility on the forums?

And I was. Not. Trolling.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Herbsk said:
.....You do realize I beat this game when I was around 12 or 13 years old without too much difficulty right?
What? No! How would I know that?

However, I am grateful that you RESPECTFULLY disagreed with my opinion. I wish everyone else did. No matter, I like the game now.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
If you haven't given up completely, you'll hate shadow ganon...
Is that the dude that comes out of the paintings? I beat him without that much trouble.

Azaraxzealot said:
Torrasque said:

-snip-
Thanks for sticking up for me. Why did they ever suspend you?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
...this thread got weird. Everyone who "suddenly" likes something they hated before is usually being passive-aggressive to shut people up. My fiancee does it in every argument. Also, no hate agaainst Jailbird at all, but the issue for me isn't getting stuck, it's going the "This is the worst game ever because I'm stuck" route I've finally convinced my nine-year-old stepbrother to stop doing.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
CrystalShadow said:
If you haven't given up completely, you'll hate shadow ganon...
Is that the dude that comes out of the paintings? I beat him without that much trouble.
hmm. Yes, that's him.
While the specific skills of any given player can probably make certain things seem more, or less difficult, you'd be surprised...
Shadow Ganon really is one of the most difficult bosses in the game.

(But, like I mentioned earlier, mirror link, who only a sub-boss, is potentially more difficult than any of the official bosses. - Of course, mirror link has a flaw you can exploit, which makes the fight trivial. But beating him if you don't realise that? Very, very difficult indeed.)

To put it in perspective, as long as you don't miss a critical upgrade you can find just before the end of the game, The final 2 boss battles at the end of the game, which happen one after the other, are both easier than Shadow Gannon is.

Proportionally speaking to how much health you have, shadow Ganon does more damage. And while you can't harm the final bosses if you don't know the trick to it, you have the same problem with Shadow ganon, and he's harder to hit even when you do know it...

Of course, this does all assume they haven't tweaked the difficulty in the 3DS re-release. In which case what I'm saying may not be quite accurate anymore.

(And it wouldn't be the first time; Like I said, The GBA version of A link to the Past is easier than the original. Especially the bosses.)

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Jailbird408 said:
I just do. It is the worst game I have ever played. I'm not trolling, I legitimately hate this game. I went in expecting an engrossing story, gripping action and fiendish puzzles. I should be getting it, but the game keeps throwing up hurdles and forces me to visit the Sheikah stone more than I should be.

It's the exact same reason I hate LOS:TEN. (Oh, god, here I go again...) I get into the game, I start having fun, and then the difficulty spikes so hard it comes back around and rapes you.

But this game is even worse because I was expecting the greatest game ever. Maybe the greatest game ever is hiding behind the Forest Temple, which contains a room with 3 skeleton sodiers that are ridiculously hard to defeat, you have to take them on at the same time, and if you take too long killing the last one, the first one you killed COMES BACK TO LIFE AND SLICES YOU OPEN WHILE YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL THIS LAST ONE. I mean, WHAT THE HELL?

If you've never played Ocarina of Time before, don't waste your money. It's a festering pile of rotten fruit glittered up with fancy 3D graphics. Do not play this game. You will just set yourself up for a kick in the balls.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I bought the 3DS at launch, SSBB is my favorite game, and I make NES/SNES pixel art in Minecraft. So if this game is bad to someone who follows Nintendo like a puppy on a leash, it has to be pathetic.

Go ahead. Flame me.
Masterquest is hard, the original is not at all which is the one you are playing.
That's right there is a harder version of the game you are failing at go play that one and cry.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
TheJesus89 said:
I never said it was objectively better. What is it with people on the escapist and their stupid idea of what subjectivity is?

It seems like every time there is a clash of opinion, someone just has to jump in and say "well who says your opinion is subjectively right?". That is not a proper argument. It's dumb. Normally, I am allowed to say something I think is shit is shitty without backlash, but almost every single person on the escapist has these fucking conniptions whenever I even utter anything close to negative. Why can't my opinion be that his opinion is shit? That seems like a pretty valid opinion to me. What, so you're saying his opinion is objectively good? Is that what you're trying to say?

And to top it off, this website's claim to fame is Zero Punctuation. Yahtzee has to be the least open person to opinions on the internet, yet you guys all worship the ground the man walks on. I have nothing against Yahtzee or anything he does, but I'm so sick and tired of the double standard of subjectivity that every white knight tries to uphold on this website.

I think Super Smash brothers is a shitty game to play competitively, and people who play it competitively are shitty. Go play a real fighter like Street Fighter or Tekken, and stop playing casual nintendo party games.

That's my opinion. Get over it.
You implied that it was objectively better. You said, "If you can't beat Ocarina of Time, a game I beat when I was like 6, you have problems worse then your favorite game being super smash brothers. Not much worse, but worse none the less."

You can say that you don't like something... that's fine... but you made it seem like your opinion was the only valid one. And that's simply a stupid thing to do.

Also, don't assume; we don't all agree with Yahtzee. Sure, he's entertaining; that's about it. I don't even know if he takes himself seriously. He just tries to be funny. That's what makes him popular.

So Super Smash Bros. isn't a real fighter, but Street Fighter and Tekken are? Maybe people like the style of Super Smash Bros. Oh... but they'd be wrong because they're opinion isn't the same as yours, right?

The lesson here is this: if you don't state that something's your opinion - if you say it as if it's a fact - you end up looking like a complete jerk. But maybe you don't really care if you look that way... I don't know. I'd hope you would, but this is the internet.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:

Come at me, Bro.
Majora most definitely. Superior to OoT in every possible way. The dungeon were harder, the fights more iconic, plus it gave you a really cheap-ass way to beat the game if you worked at it (you don't have to use it, but it's for people who work at it anyway.)

I loved it. Sure, OoT had more dungeons, but screw that. If felt like I spent more time in transit than in actual dungeons and Hyrule Field was lame. With exception to the first and last the two middle dungeons took me hours to complete and several resets on the three days (something I don't hate because I remember stuff) to beat. The first I was able to do easily, but the last took me twice as long.

Plus I had to get all the fairies. I'm not saying OoT is bad, I'm saying of all the ones to re-release why OoT?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Inkidu said:
neonsword13-ops said:

Come at me, Bro.
Majora most definitely. Superior to OoT in every possible way. The dungeon were harder, the fights more iconic, plus it gave you a really cheap-ass way to beat the game if you worked at it (you don't have to use it, but it's for people who work at it anyway.)

I loved it. Sure, OoT had more dungeons, but screw that. If felt like I spent more time in transit than in actual dungeons and Hyrule Field was lame. With exception to the first and last the two middle dungeons took me hours to complete and several resets on the three days (something I don't hate because I remember stuff) to beat. The first I was able to do easily, but the last took me twice as long.

Plus I had to get all the fairies. I'm not saying OoT is bad, I'm saying of all the ones to re-release why OoT?
Hyrule Field was lame? Termina field is almost non-existent!

Ocarina of Time also had a better story, imo, although Majora's Mask had a very well-written story towards the end of the game.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Legion IV said:
neonsword13-ops said:

Come at me, Bro.
I honestly thought windwaker is complete trash, Majoras even worse. All garbage. Link to the past only good game in the series.

Come at me, Bro.
Well what DO you like in a Zelda game?