I hate to be the guy, but why the hate for COD?

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
I just hate it now because at this point it's as stale as two year old dog shit. I played MW2 hoping for some kind of massive improvement over the epic balancing issues present in COD4 but no dice. I played it anyway. Black ops was a complete ripoff that added nothing important, and several annoyances (CoD points, sea of retards who think having a vagina as their emblem makes them cool). Not even a graphical improvement. Took it in a week later for 40 fuckin dollars.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
The fact that other games feel the need to copy it to make more money and the way the series itself has gone downhill since the first Modern Warfare (which was an absolutely amazing and surprisingly intelligent game, making the less-than-stellar quality of the most recent ones all the more embarrassing) are probably the main issues people have. I've given up on the series ever being that good again.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
...well you relise to be one of the popular franchises around it means most people don't hate it?
I don't hate it, but I don't own it for two reasons. This is considering that I'd only possibly get the console version because of stuff and also considering that I was raised a PC gamer.

1) Any time I've played it, which is maybe 3 or 4 times, the gulf in class between me and the poeple I'm playing is pretty massive. Considering my aforementioned lack of ability on console shooter games, my desire to play it online is very small.

2) I don't enjoy realistic war games. If video games are about escapism, why would you escape to Iraq?

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
I don't hate "Call of Duty" - I only own one title in the series (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare) which I really loved, and I don't feel that I need to own another. I'm happy to simply not buy them, as frankly they haven't made another title in the series that's worth buying.

What I do hate, however, is what "Call of Duty" as a series has done to the industry as a whole - it's the poster child for the worst excesses in the push for 'consolisation'.

In today's market, making niche titles with a modest level of success just isn't enough any more; everything, from Final Fantasy XIII to Mass Effect 2 to Dead Space 2, has to aim for the "Call of Duty" market - publishers want a stable of massive, blockbuster hits and refuse to take chances on new IPs unless they mimick a pre-established forumla (see Darksiders).

This isn't always a bad thing; Mass Effect 2 was terrific, if a little _too_ simplified, and Dead Space 2 was the Aliens to the original's Alien. However, for each success story that we have as a result of this shift in focus, we get an ocean of loved series that are destroyed or completely alien to their fanbases as a result of trying to capture some of that "Call of Duty" pie.
We get a Dragon Age 2, a Crysis 2, a Resident Evil 5, a Supreme Commander 2, a Final Fantasy XIII; established, successful and unique franchises that ignore the fans and loyal customers that have supported them, so they can gain the fleeting attention of the rich, dumb, ADHD COD player. Who then bash the game on the forums and buy another $20.00 map pack so they can hurl abuse as everyone who's unfortunate enough to turn their speakers on.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I don't hate COD. I play FPS games for the multiplayer and I just happened to grab Halo Reach when I bought my 360. I think the fact I use to love Unreal Tournament so much is what guided my hand that day. Personally, I feel satisfied owning one FPS game at a time that I actively play and enjoy playing.

An FPS is an FPS if you ask me. I hear good things about COD from my friends who also play Halo. I'd like to try it out but I just can't afford it right now. :p

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Because it's so popular, it's becoming the set standard, which is bad.

With each new release they simplify the design significantly.

Call of Duty 4, they reached a peak. Modern Warfare 2 however, they ruined it. They took away dedicated server support, so matches were restricted to a mere 18 players with a 0 ping host advantage, not to mention the online was glitched to hell.

They then include a measly 5 hour campaign, that's the length I'd expect of a game add-on or expansion, yet they still charged the full £45 for it on launch.

Then there's the map packs, £12 is a ridiculous price, especially for rehashes of old maps.

Quite frankly the series gets too many releases, it's basically FPS Fifa.

The thing is, it sells, and because it sells so well, other game developers will follow their example. Overpriced DLC and undersized campaigns are a growing problem in the industry.

That's my personal gripe with the franchise, I'm sure most of the haters are just following the trend of hating what ever is popular in a stupid hipster manner though.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Dr Jones said:
4RM3D said:
I could write a whole article about this, but I won't. Because the game ain't worth my time explaining why the game ain't worth my time. XD So, I'll just leave it at this: cash cow.
Sooo... Why hate on a cash cow, brah? 99% of all games are cash grabs (statistic may not be true), Duke Nukem, well sure 2K may find it fun to a degree, but lemme tell you, they bought it for the name! They know it will sell! Fallout is beginning to become a cash grab.. Pretty much every game with a major publisher is a cash grab.
well the differecne is this bioware is atleast trying to bring a new setting and charaters to each game Actisisvisonm on the other hand just rehash each and every game making each feel samey. ALso i think the $15 map pack, the whole elite subscribtion(which is pulling fetures from black ops and reselling them to us. At least bioware/ isn't doing the same.