I hate youtube for this... (fellow metalheads/TRUE rockers, you know what im talking about)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I acknowledge that I was once like this. Then I tried to read a cookbook and it started with the author getting equally outraged about how people would rather go out to eat or microwave an easy meal then prepare something of their own.

The important thing to note is that another person's interst in pop is most likely not linked to a belief that pop music is superior, just as my choice to wear a tee shirt and jeans today does not imply that I find it more fashionable than what other people wear. Metal is pretty obscure and you won't easily find metal on any mainstream source that doesn't play up the negative stereotype most people give it, so I consider it best to assume other people just had other things they'd rather invest their time and research into.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Nifty said:
Azaraxzealot said:
EDIT: Before anyone goes off and yells at me for being "ignorant" and biased. What I'm getting mad about is how my genre is being confused with other genres that i hate. It would be like if people said "Shadow of the Collosus is stupid because its just walking around and jumping on shit." that would make any gamer mad, right? I just dont like people being ignorant and mixing up Rock and Metal with Screamo/Emo creatures is all, and that's what this rant is about.

do you, fellow metalheads and even just people who appreciate music that requires SKILL to play (like classic rock such as The Who and ZZ Top), hate that our music is ALL being pidgeon-holed by youtube as "screamo"?

seriously, you ask anyone who's into pop music about what they think of rock and they'll say "it's just people screaming."

on a scale of 1-10, how high is your rage over this? im seriously at 11 right now, pushing 12 because the youtube generation is growing up thinking anything that's not processed bullshit like anything on Wild 94.9 or that isn't Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber is simply Emo/Screamo crap.

Off-topic: yeah, i know i have another thread here, but my rage at this was just provoked when i saw a video that said "Miley Cirus Screamo Version" or something like that and i listened to it and it was ACTUALLY GRINDCORE! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE PEOPLE! IN TERMS OF SKILL REQUIRED AND STYLE! DON'T YOU EVER MIX GRINDCORE AND DEATH METAL UP WITH PUSSY BULLSHIT LIKE FALLOUT BOY OR MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE OR AFI!

/rant
It's stuff like this that makes me dislike metal fans.

Much like rabid gamers, when ever someone comes along who doesn't understand your medium you embark on a vile hate campaign. You're so elitist and cliquey that rather than inform and correct someone on their ignorance and show them the virtues and differences of metal and it's myriad sub-genres, you just scream at them to fuck off which, contrary to popular belief, makes you the aggressor.
informing and correcting for the greater part of my life is what drove me to this. i just got driven insane by the fact that no matter how calmly and logically i pointed out that Stairway to Heaven is not the same as Miss Murder, kids these days STILL think they're the same thing.

if that wouldn't make you crazy mad then i don't know what would.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'm gonna go 1/10. I honestly don't care what other peoples opinions on my likes and dislikes are. It's called growing up and accepting the fact that everybody has an opinion.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
EDIT: Before anyone goes off and yells at me for being "ignorant" and biased. What I'm getting mad about is how my genre is being confused with other genres that i hate. It would be like if people said "Shadow of the Collosus is stupid because its just walking around and jumping on shit." that would make any gamer mad, right? I just dont like people being ignorant and mixing up Rock and Metal with Screamo/Emo creatures is all, and that's what this rant is about.

do you, fellow metalheads and even just people who appreciate music that requires SKILL to play (like classic rock such as The Who and ZZ Top), hate that our music is ALL being pidgeon-holed by youtube as "screamo"?

seriously, you ask anyone who's into pop music about what they think of rock and they'll say "it's just people screaming."

on a scale of 1-10, how high is your rage over this? im seriously at 11 right now, pushing 12 because the youtube generation is growing up thinking anything that's not processed bullshit like anything on Wild 94.9 or that isn't Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber is simply Emo/Screamo crap.

Off-topic: yeah, i know i have another thread here, but my rage at this was just provoked when i saw a video that said "Miley Cirus Screamo Version" or something like that and i listened to it and it was ACTUALLY GRINDCORE! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE PEOPLE! IN TERMS OF SKILL REQUIRED AND STYLE! DON'T YOU EVER MIX GRINDCORE AND DEATH METAL UP WITH PUSSY BULLSHIT LIKE FALLOUT BOY OR MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE OR AFI!

/rant
Screamo? Never heard of it. If people are too dumb to understand what is going on musically in metal then that is their loss. Is all metal great? No, obviously. Some of it is shit. But a majority of it is WAY better than anything you will hear on the top 40 playlist. Then again the point of top 40 isn't to play music, its to make money. (kind of like YouTube itself)

One problem with your post/rant. I don't know if I would throw ZZ Top into the "music that requires skill to play" category. Because that is some simplistic shit to play. I do give them props for writing a song called "Pearl Necklace" though. lol

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Before I actually was able to listen to heavier rock/metal, the most I had to go by was the stereotype that it was just screaming, so I can see where people come from here. I don't condone it, but I understand.

Anyways, my big problem with youtube isn't with the pop music lovers, but rather with the metal heads and "true" fans.

ESPECIALLY the "true" fans. You all are some of the most stuck up, elitist bastards I know, who happen to seek out videos you know that you'll hate to proclaim it to be shit because it happens to not be "true metal." Then you get in fights over which of your old bands happen to be "true metal."

There is no "True metal," the genre itself has divided itself up into so many categories that span perfectly between other genres. There is no core of all this, as the old metal has fallen into some other category, and if it doesn't fit it really doesn't sum up the entire genre as a whole.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Murais said:
I used to be a huge metalhead. And while I do still enjoy popping in an Amon Amarth or Dark Tranquility CD and rawking out, my tastes have shifted. For the reasons that the OP stated he likes metal, I've switched to classical. There is really no other genre of music on the planet to have as many transcendental masterpieces than classical, and almost every modern genre of music finds its roots in classical.

Want real emotion, passion, and skill? I'll take Mozart and even neo-classical like Die Verbannten Kinder Evas over Metallica any day. ANY DAY.
classical is great shit! there's nothing like some Toccata and Feud or some Sonata to get me going.

but what if people lumped Classical all together with anything that involved an orchestra? or just a violin? that means Beyonce is on the same level as Bach? fuck that shit. seriously. thats what im getting pissed about, is these kids lumping genres together when there are huge fundamental differences between them

plus, i don't want my Deep Purple being on the same level as AFI (which a lot of kids i see these days DO say they're the same... and it makes me so angry after spending the majority of my life trying to PREVENT this from happening)

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Those people are thirteen years old. They will grow out of it. Are you telling me that you had uber intricate and brilliant taste as a kid? I used to love Eminem, Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach. My friends did too, we grew out of it and laugh about it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm a longtime metal fan, especially of the genres that require "skill", like prog and power. And while I've never been a huge fan of the various black and death subgenres, I do find bands I like in them. I prefer clean melodic vocals (I especially appreciate the female symphonic metal sopranos), but sometimes the black, death or thrash vocal styles are appropriate to the song.

But the current style of screaming metal vocals, I just can't get into. I started liking metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and Trivium after they toned down the screaming and focused on more melodic vocals. I'm kind of disappointed when I find new metal bands that are great musically, like The Human Abstract, but then the singer starts with the high-pitched, raspy whine and almost ruins the whole song.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Captain Bobbossa said:
What pot heads do you know? all the ones I know are all metal heads.... apart from the ones living in coucil estates.

Anyway I didn't mean prog metal/prog rock, just opeth. I like the odd bit of prog metal aswel. I'm talking about the ones who take it to far, the ones who already play guitar and listen to stuff that's just pointlessly technical.
Eh, all the metal heads I knew were nerds, not potheads. Most of the potheads I knew, if they were into the heavier stuff, mostly went for the -core genres, not real metal. I can think of one guy who did smoke pot and was into some stuff that could be called metal, but we're talking goregrind here, and local stuff that's so underground that even I don't like it. A typical get together of metalheads at my highschool involved Monty Python movies and Magic the Gathering, not drugs and alcohol.

PayneTrayne said:
Also understanding is subjective, my one friend claims that "He has a trained metal ear", you shouldn't have to be trained to enjoy a song's lyrics.
Actually, having a "trained metal ear" probably means he doesn't care about the lyrics. The trick to understanding metal is listening to the whole sound, not any individual instrument. Once you accept that death metal screams are just another percussion instrument, it starts to fall into place. And this is coming from someone who, when he listens to metal at all, primarily listens to power metal -- which means clean, operatic vocals for the most part.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I just hate how rock is considered emo, when emo is a genre of music by itself

Rock=Rock n roll, hard rock etc etc

Emo=Emotional Punk

They have names for reason yeah, raps not called gangsta or chav , its just called rap

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I got a story for y'all. My buddy doesn't know the difference between screamo and metal. I try telling him there's differences between the two. For example I showed him a Cannibal Corpse song, and he said it was metal. To show him screamo I put on Attack Attack! (don't judge me I like them) and he thought it was metal. I was like dude, that's screamo.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Azaraxzealot said:
Murais said:
I used to be a huge metalhead. And while I do still enjoy popping in an Amon Amarth or Dark Tranquility CD and rawking out, my tastes have shifted. For the reasons that the OP stated he likes metal, I've switched to classical. There is really no other genre of music on the planet to have as many transcendental masterpieces than classical, and almost every modern genre of music finds its roots in classical.

Want real emotion, passion, and skill? I'll take Mozart and even neo-classical like Die Verbannten Kinder Evas over Metallica any day. ANY DAY.
classical is great shit! there's nothing like some Toccata and Feud or some Sonata to get me going.

but what if people lumped Classical all together with anything that involved an orchestra? or just a violin? that means Beyonce is on the same level as Bach? fuck that shit. seriously. thats what im getting pissed about, is these kids lumping genres together when there are huge fundamental differences between them

plus, i don't want my Deep Purple being on the same level as AFI (which a lot of kids i see these days DO say they're the same... and it makes me so angry after spending the majority of my life trying to PREVENT this from happening)
Doesn't bother me. People who makes such distinctions are probably either idiots or have no clue what they are talking about. Or some combination between the two. Idiocy and misinformation will always be rampant, especially in this "Information Age" where all communication comes at the click of a button.

That being said, the greatest service I can do myself is to sift through the bullshit, and make educated opinions and guesses. If I spent so much time on worrying about the opinions of others, and whether or not their opinions or ideas lived up to the standards of my own, I'd spend a lot of time angry and disappointed(and have).

It's something we all have to learn, friend. The most important person in this world to you, is you, and if you're not watching out for him, you're leaving yourself vulnerable. Because if you're not watching out for you, who is?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I honestly don't care because anybody who thinks Pink Floyd and Slipknot are the same genre is not worth my time.

Jan 29, 2009
I've noticed there is hope for humanity, comments on classical tend to attack justin beiber, or whatever is in style these days among youtube-watching nitwits.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:

/rant
Hahaha. Dude, you're hilarious.
Listening to Soilwork on my way home from work at the bus station, some asshole and his friends were talking about how I was listening to emo-screamo music. I could have literally killed them all right there. Or when listening I was listening to Sylosis and essentially the same thing happened, but they guy came up to me and said, "Screamo SUCKS" Best to just ignore these people, dude.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
It's the same way people say all rap and hip hop is about killing people, money, or women. Over generalization that's easily ignored.

aschere van she

Sep 26, 2010
You, my good friend, are a pretentious terd.

People who listen to emo are still people.

And, to be honest, none of you people have any clue as to what skramz and emo actually are, so kindly fuck off.