I have a very irrational dislike of microwaves

Mar 12, 2009
915
0
0
Here are my reasons:

1) I'm paranoid that whatever I put in there is going to explode.

2)The food cooked in it is usually of such a poor quality I don't consider it a worthy trade off for the time saved.

3) I'm a man dammit! A man was meant to cook with fire, not concentrated light!

So yeah come in and tell me what a dumbass I am
 

Dmatix

New member
Feb 3, 2009
248
0
0
I agree with you actually. cant trust a cooking utensil that explodes if you put metal in it...
 

Vanilla Gorilla

New member
Jan 15, 2009
128
0
0
Inarticulate_Underachiever said:
3) I'm a man dammit! A man was meant to cook with fire, not concentrated light!
You sir, truly know the ways of manliness! I have an irrational fear of ventriloquists dummies (the scary 50's style wooden kind). This could easily become a thread of irrational fears, which I am all for.
 

bmf185

New member
Jan 8, 2009
418
0
0
It's not concentrated light. They're microwaves, which are radio waves with a frequency of about 2.5 gigahertz. These waves are absorbed by food molecules, which causes them to vibrate on an atomic level, which is what you know as heat. Radio waves are all around you all the time, so you don't have anything to be afraid of.

Unless you grill a lot, you probably don't ever actually cook with fire (barring a flame-top stove), and I've explained the other part, so I guess cross off #3?
 

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
1,778
0
0
1) Not much will explode in a microwave, if it was you you would be painfully melted.
2) Its a lot quicker, what were you expecting? :D
3) Its microwaves, not concentrated waves.

Tbh people are lazy and so use microwaves, thats why there common. You shouldnt fear them, there not gunna hurt you unless you manage to put yourself in one and turn it on high blast, hate them though, proper cooking skills are being forgotten because of them.
 

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
4,607
0
0
does being terrified of bees, wasps, and hornets count?

Manliness unh? Ever heard of the bullet ant? It has the strongest sting of any arthropod. It feels like getting shot. Well down in the amazon there is this tribe where to become a man you must perform this ritual. They have these leaf sleeves with hundreds of bullets ants sown stinger inward into them. You have to wear them for 10 minutes as the ants sting the living bejezzus out of your arms. It is not uncommon for the arms to have turned black at the hand. Oh, and to become a man, you must perform this ritual 20 times. I am just fine with the fact that I will never be a man according to their culture.

I have one friend who doesn't trust microwaves, as he feels that cooking food with radiation might lead to some nasty disease. He very well could be right!
Technically it cooks with heat waves. I don't know though, I find them useful for cooking leftovers.
 

Psypherus

New member
Feb 11, 2009
410
0
0
I have a irrational fear of toothpicks...

As for microwaves, I love them. They're the only cooking apparatus that I dont burn myself on.
 

Hexadecimal16

New member
Mar 11, 2009
201
0
0
I don't fear microwaves. I commend them for preventing lazy people who don't feel like cooking real food all the time from going hungry.

However, more often than not food reheated or cooked in a microwave tastes kind of nasty. Ever microwaved Chinese food? It's gross.
 

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
4,607
0
0
Hexadecimal16 said:
I don't fear microwaves. I commend them for preventing lazy people who don't feel like cooking real food all the time from going hungry.

However, more often than not food reheated or cooked in a microwave tastes kind of nasty. Ever microwaved Chinese food? It's gross.
I have noticed that microwaving pizza always turns the crust soft, almost to the point of soggyness.
 

Hexadecimal16

New member
Mar 11, 2009
201
0
0
Drake the Dragonheart said:
I have noticed that microwaving pizza always turns the crust soft, almost to the point of soggyness.
It does. In my experience sometimes the crust gets this bizarre wrinkled appearance. The rest of the pizza turns all floppy too. Heating it in the oven is so much better but I'm rarely patient enough for that.
 

TMAN10112

New member
Jul 4, 2008
1,492
0
0
1)I have had multiple things explode in the microwave. Some of them were even supposed to be put in the microwave.

2)Depends what your talking about. I buy a brand of frozen burritios called "da' bomb" that are microwavable, taste awsome and make for a good lunch when your short on time.

3)Food always taste better when cooked over a fire, regardless of what it is.
 

tijuanatim

New member
Sep 24, 2008
677
0
0
Vanilla Gorilla said:
This could easily become a thread of irrational fears, which I am all for.
There's already a thread about that.

That being said: My roomate is scared of Fountains.
 

peachy_keen

New member
Feb 1, 2009
161
0
0
Not to make your fear worse, but my grandpa helped build microwaves and when I was a baby he wouldn't let my high chair be next to it because of radiation. I'm sure that's all cleared up now, though.
 
Mar 12, 2009
915
0
0
Drake the Dragonheart said:
Hexadecimal16 said:
I don't fear microwaves. I commend them for preventing lazy people who don't feel like cooking real food all the time from going hungry.

However, more often than not food reheated or cooked in a microwave tastes kind of nasty. Ever microwaved Chinese food? It's gross.
I have noticed that microwaving pizza always turns the crust soft, almost to the point of soggyness.
Perhaps you leave it in there too long, my crust still retains some firmness when I take it out of the microwave.
 

Ignignoct

New member
Feb 14, 2009
948
0
0
If my white trash family can't properly cook meth without it exploding, you know I'm grateful for having the simple, easy, microwave available.
 

nathan-dts

New member
Jun 18, 2008
1,538
0
0
megapenguinx said:
It's ok, it's not as bad as my fear of bellybuttons.
I enjoy learning why people are actually afraid of thier irrational fears. So what's scary about them?
 

nathan-dts

New member
Jun 18, 2008
1,538
0
0
Drake the Dragonheart said:
does being terrified of bees, wasps, and hornets count?

Manliness unh? Ever heard of the bullet ant? It has the strongest sting of any arthropod. It feels like getting shot. Well down in the amazon there is this tribe where to become a man you must perform this ritual. They have these leaf sleeves with hundreds of bullets ants sown stinger inward into them. You have to wear them for 10 minutes as the ants sting the living bejezzus out of your arms. It is not uncommon for the arms to have turned black at the hand. Oh, and to become a man, you must perform this ritual 20 times. I am just fine with the fact that I will never be a man according to their culture.
I saw this on some TV show.
 

megapenguinx

New member
Jan 8, 2009
3,865
0
0
nathan-dts said:
megapenguinx said:
It's ok, it's not as bad as my fear of bellybuttons.
I enjoy learning why people are actually afraid of thier irrational fears. So what's scary about them?
That it will unravel and my intestines will plop out