I have an idea that could limit school shootings

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
The best way to prevent school shootings is to ban guns. However the US that is not possible wince even if all guns were banned now it would take decades to remove all the guns from civilian ownership. It would also increase the number of school stabbings(possibly with less fatalities but still terrible) since it's not guns and video games that make crazy people shoot children, its people being crazy.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
Friendly Lich said:
EDIT:
New Idea: One trained security person in each school with bullet proof vest. Possibly a veteran as they have trouble finding jobs and their war experience could give them an edge over the less experienced shooter. Laser point sight on the gun for maximum accuracy, but I don't know exactly what gun would be best for the situation; defiantly not an automatic though as less bullets in the air would be ideal.
You want a guy with a gun in every school and nursery across the states to prevent gun crime? Isn't that over-reacting a little bit much, and, more importantly, going to make every child going to school terrified to be there? It suggests that there's nothing you can do to defend against rampant gun crime.

Personally I think the most practical way of sorting this out is tightening gun laws, chasing up people who are on the record for owning a weapon etc. Over here in Britain it got reported on the news that in certain supermarkets you can pick up bullets off the aisle. I'm sure that's our news exaggerating slightly to make us think "these Americans are crazy" but still - that's ridiculous.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Yes, obviously, the solution to shootings is to add more guns to the situation, not less...

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Maze1125 said:
Yes, obviously, the solution to shootings is to add more guns to the situation, not less...
lol this is so true :).

Okay i got this... let's arm every teacher with some form of gun (their choice no rocket launchers shit's op) teach them how to fire it, so that if the class is attacked by a mad gunman the teacher can fire back and we can have an old west shoot out boy howdy wouldn't that be fun! :D

Or go a step further teach all the kids how to use firearms so they can fight back to, but only let them have little hand guns, we wouldn't want the kick back from a shot gun breaking their jaws now! Safety first yo :D

Also i would like to apply for this job role, as most of the time i would stand around doing fuck all and getting paid for it sounds sweet to me, plus i could go on a mad power trip and be like boom that guy looked like he might be carrying a gun i did it for the children.

Then i would get a medal and maybe a cool car.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
captainfluoxetine said:
See I understand how frustrating it is dealing solely with extremists. Politically i lean to the left however i often find myself equally as frustrated with the hippy left as i do with the evil imperial right. So, with that in mind, I find nothing wrong with extremism in this case.
Guns for no one, I honestly don't see a flaw there. Or at least gun laws such as those in the UK, which if im honest i dont fully understand, though i know way fewer people own guns here, and as a result way fewer people become infected with a terminal case of bullets, than do in the USA.

I would argue the problem is culture. Americans seem to view having a gun as a fundamental right, in the UK its viewed as something you do if you're a farmer or a wierdo (sorry to those who will get all up in my grill, but that IS how you're viewed by the majority of society). But as a result of it being culturally frowned upon its less widely done.

Now my reason for seeing this as a factor is alcohol. The English as utterly incapable of understanding refined drinking. We hear all kinds of rubbish on the news about increasing taxes and stuff on drink to tackle binge drinking. Its not a price issue, its the fact our culture is fine with getting so wasted you vomit in your handbag, start a fight in a kebabie and then pass out in a hedge. But in countries like france the attitude to alcohol is much, MUCH, more sensible and restrained. And as a result its not abused as much as in the UK, not because of law but because of society and culture.

Point is, its not to do with the law as much as it is the culture in which the laws are enacted.

TL DR?
Well don't comment on the post then, prat.
Couldn't agree more. In my mind guns for nobody is the best solution, but as you said, it's so culturally ingrained at this point it may be inseparable. So, as much as I would like to see them gone completely, I think if anything's going to change it will have to be gradual, or it'll be met with too much resistance.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
A Smooth Criminal said:
There was one school shooting... Obviously our world is in danger.

guns are too widely accessible in america for them to all be removed, in fact, only the lawful people will lose their guns and everyone else will get to keep them.

On top of that, if guns were taken away, crime wouldn't be reduced and the body counts in school massacres wouldn't be reduced. The only difference would be that there's be less bullet holes and people would get smaller charts which are labelled "gun crime".
Considering how the vast majority of school shootings were using legally purchased guns obtained just a few days before, I really don't see how you come to the conclusion that stopping those guns wouldn't help stop the shootings.

These shootings aren't committed by hardened criminals, they're committed by mentally insane people. Yes, hardened criminals know where to get illegal guns, but your average mentally ill person doesn't, the only reason these people get their hands on a gun is because they can just legally purchase one.

Yes some shootings would still occur, but just because an initiative doesn't stop everything doesn't mean that it doesn't stop something, or perhaps even most, and there's value in that.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Friendly Lich said:
EDIT: I have come up with a second proposal as my initial one seems to be very flawed. Please scroll down to read it.

New Idea: One trained security person in each school with bullet proof vest. Possibly a veteran as they have trouble finding jobs and their war experience could give them an edge over the less experienced shooter. Laser point sight on the gun for maximum accuracy, but I don't know exactly what gun would be best for the situation; defiantly not an automatic though as less bullets in the air would be ideal.

Can you help me develop/refine this idea please?
Yeah great idea, put someone with who higher than average chance of suffering from PSTD in every school, that will work out well. What happens if the guy that you arm has breakdown? The answer to heavily armed people having mental breakdowns is not more people with guns because that only increases the chance of an incident happing. To stop an incident happing there are only two real choices. You either reduce access to guns, or you introduce full airport style security at schools. One person on their own is just as vulnerable to a mental breakdown as anyone else. Having multiple patrols, all of whom are are armed, reduces that risk because its unlikely that 20 people will have the same kind of breakdown at the same time.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
There was one school shooting... Obviously our world is in danger.

guns are too widely accessible in america for them to all be removed, in fact, only the lawful people will lose their guns and everyone else will get to keep them.

On top of that, if guns were taken away, crime wouldn't be reduced and the body counts in school massacres wouldn't be reduced. The only difference would be that there's be less bullet holes and people would get smaller charts which are labelled "gun crime".

I'm going to be that person and say 'get over it'. it's sad, yes, but freaking out about everything is just a pain for everyone.
there is a school/theater/station shooting pretty much once a week. id take that as a bad sign.
gun control can be executed if they wanted it. but americans prefer to shoot back rather than take away the assailants gun. removing guns would reduce random attack body count significantly. if you dont agree you are wrong and thats all there is to it.

Whenever I hear any argument about guns I always say that crime would not be reduced, and it's always comabatted with "YOU CAN'T SAY GUNCRIME WON'T BE REDUCED". The sooner you learn the difference, the sooner you learn that this kind of thing isn't really avoidable. People will commit crimes like this at the same that they do now even if they don't have guns.
SO? id rather have a guy wound someone with a knife than perma-kill somone with a gun before he goes down.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
Strazdas said:
Whenever I hear any argument about guns I always say that crime would not be reduced, and it's always comabatted with "YOU CAN'T SAY GUNCRIME WON'T BE REDUCED". The sooner you learn the difference, the sooner you learn that this kind of thing isn't really avoidable. People will commit crimes like this at the same that they do now even if they don't have guns.
SO? id rather have a guy wound someone with a knife than perma-kill somone with a gun before he goes down.
No one ever dies from knives. Also, they're not the only weapon. Look at everything in your house. Almost all of it can be used as a weapon in some form or another. And see those liquids lying around? That's enough for an explosive.
Its all about effectiveness. yes anything can be turned into a weapon. i can kill a person with a spoon. but that does not mean i can be as effective bargaining in murdering people as i would be with a gun. your argument is like saying regardless of security its possible to rob people so we should never lock our doors.
Ultratwinkie said:
No, gun control cant be effective in a modern day America to reduce gun crime. Because American crime is so out of control that nothing short of total reform of 3-4 sections of the government will fix it.

America's issues with gun crime go beyond mere gun laws. As I stated multiple times.

Hell, the FBI stated two years ago that we should be afraid of America becoming the next Mexico, because its been seeing gang influence seep into the military now. Allowing government guns to be stolen and sold by common soldiers, the easiest being ammunition from a variety of weapons, even artillery shells.
Yes, america desperately needs complete reform on gun ownership, and that includes taking away currently owned guns (with returning money for their worth ofc). it needs a complete reform and swift military style action if it wants not to become mexico 2

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
A Satanic Panda said:
Maybe instead of limiting the tool we should find a way to make people not want to shoot up a school full of children.
But...but that would be adressing the actual SOURCE of the problem! We can't have that! Clearly something must be done about the guns, not the people.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
rhizhim said:
DoPo said:
I have guides for C1 plastic explosives, chloroform, cluster bomb, incendiary grenade, Molotov cocktails, napalm, pipe grenade, ricin (some kind of deadly poison), 12 gauge shotgun (as in, how to make one), smoke grenade, and thermite.
are you talking of the "anarchist cookbook" which 1/3 of its content doesnt work properly and caused some dickheads to blow themselves up?
No, just individual recipes. I don't know how correct they are, though - never tried them but the chances are that at least one would work. And that's without putting any effort in looking for dangerous stuff.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Friendly Lich said:
EDIT: I have come up with a second proposal as my initial one seems to be very flawed. Please scroll down to read it.

Can you help me develop/refine this idea please?
Security guard gets shot in the head first by the crazy. Back to square 1.