I have never raged/facepalmed so hard in my life

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
Okay so I just saw
video of these two kids explaining why metal/rock music is talentless crap that's too loud and doesn't have any meaning to it. I have never been so annoyed by something in my life.

They saw that all you need to for metal or rock is just know how to strum a guitar while rap takes talent to rhyme?????

Anyway, what do you guys think of this? I mean I do like some rap artists but i am a metalhead and rocker true and true. Also as a guitar/bass player it is not easy to just "strum" a guitar and sound good.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I've just got to wonder... How exactly did you happen upon this video?

Were you deliberately searching for videos that would make you rage? Did someone send you this video so that you can share in their rage? And, why are posting this video here? To allow others to share your rage?

As for the video itself... Too long, Didn't watch.
I view metal, rock, rap and pretty much every form of music the same; There's some stuff I like and there's a huge amount of shit I don't.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
They're kids.

They have little education on the topic they are discussing.

You are being trolled.

Calm down, and stop letting people on youtube get to you.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
You are being trolled.

All there is to this topic, really.

And seriously - did you really see a video with a flamebite title, which you knew would enrage you, and watched through the whole ten minutes of it? Dude, you just...I think you really did work hard for that facepalm you did. I'd only consider watching it if it was, like 1 minute. Maybe 2. I can't be bothered if it was any longer. Certainly wouldn't when it not only looks like a flamebite but you're a proof it is.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
DoPo said:
Shadowstar38 said:
You are being trolled.

All there is to this topic, really.

And seriously - did you really see a video with a flamebite title, which you knew would enrage you, and watched through the whole ten minutes of it? Dude, you just...I think you really did work hard for that facepalm you did. I'd only consider watching it if it was, like 1 minute. Maybe 2. I can't be bothered if it was any longer. Certainly wouldn't when it not only looks like a flamebite but you're a proof it is.
Yeah OP, DoPo and Shadowstar38 pretty much beat me to it. You're also on YouTube, what I like to call one of the stupidity hives of the Internet. Just don't let it get to you. I can understand as I'm a violinist attempting metal songs. Yes, you read that correctly. So don't let it get to you and move on.

captcha- nbcnews.com

Imagine if we tried getting all of the news networks to get a taste of unconventional culture...

Olikar

Sep 4, 2012
chuckey said:
Okay so I just saw why metal/rock music is talentless crap that's too loud and doesn't have any meaning to it..
On the whole that sounds about right.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
ITT: the OP is introduced to cultural bias for the first time and doesn't understand.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
rap does take talent though....and I'm sure those kids were pissed off after having rock/metal elitists constantly say rap requires no talent

I know I would be

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
chuckey said:
Okay so I just saw
video of these two kids explaining why metal/rock music is talentless crap that's too loud and doesn't have any meaning to it. I have never been so annoyed by something in my life.

They saw that all you need to for metal or rock is just know how to strum a guitar while rap takes talent to rhyme?????

Anyway, what do you guys think of this? I mean I do like some rap artists but i am a metalhead and rocker true and true. Also as a guitar/bass player it is not easy to just "strum" a guitar and sound good.
I like how you get mad at them for having an negative OPINION on metal/rock bands , then take a jab a rappers . Hypocrit.

OT: All music takes talent , duh . People just tend to insult whatever they aren't into . I HATE metal music , but i realise the talent it takes to actually play a guitar that fuxking fast . If a normal person does it their hands will probably bleed . I can't stand the screamig though . As for rap music , the rhyming in sync to music takes a lot of talent , especially freestyling requires vocabulary , but most ofthen than not the subject matter is questionable , to each their own .

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
krazykidd said:
I can't stand the screaming though
Gah. I know it's not the focus of the topic, but I just hate this stereotype. Not all metal is screamed; of the several hundred metal albums I own, only a handful use harsh vocals. Most of them have singers, highly theatrical singers with huge ranges at that.

Sorry if that came off as aggressive at all, it just frustrates me for some reason.

[small]As long as I'm being a ****, it should also be pointed out that a lot of metal is actually very, very slow :p[/small]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
krazykidd said:
I like how you get mad at them for having an negative OPINION on metal/rock bands , then take a jab a rappers . Hypocrit.

OT: All music takes talent , duh . People just tend to insult whatever they aren't into . I HATE metal music , but i realise the talent it takes to actually play a guitar that fuxking fast . If a normal person does it their hands will probably bleed . I can't stand the screamig though . As for rap music , the rhyming in sync to music takes a lot of talent , especially freestyling requires vocabulary , but most ofthen than not the subject matter is questionable , to each their own .
are you drunk? you usually have less typoes XD

but your right, people like to claim what they don't like "isn't music", as for rap even its good enough I can accept stupid subject matter

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I got to the part where one of them said "all you gotta know is how to strum your guitar and make all the different kinds of sounds" and then stopped watching, because yeah being an open-heart surgeon is easy all you gotta know is what everything in the body does and how to wire it

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm sure everyone has already pointed this out to you, but you're being a bit of a wally. Clearly you can tell from the title it would piss you off. As a metalhead myself I can totally see how wrong it is, but having talked to quite a few people in my time alive, I am very aware that people have some misconceptions about it. There's no point in getting all pissy every time someone is wrong about something.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
I don't know who is worse, the troll or the person who falls for the troll. The escapist is starting to convince me its the latter

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Can't we all just get along?

I like "Dragonforce" and Azealia Banks the same.

"As I Lay Dying" and Kanye West are about the same quality.

Both genres have their odd ones, like "Attack Attack!" alongside "Die Antwoord".

And both have their abominations, like "Anal C**t", or Soulja Boy.

Why can't we have both?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I don't think genres of music have their own volume levels. You just play them louder if you like them.
Either way, all I can say is that everyone is entitled to make an argument, and from what I learned in Rhetoric, these guys are doing it right. They start off with their thesis, they examine the other viewpoints potentially voiced by their opponents, and they even concede to some faults in their argument, like when they explain that they are not supporting mainstream rap and the false stereotypes associated with it.
However, I find that the same things they say about rap should have been applied to metal. Perhaps they should have thought about the difference between 'mainstream' metal and some of the 'older stuff'. Perhaps they should have accepted that the same stereotypes they seek to tear down in rap were left intact in their examination of metal. Unfortunately, I believe this will all be taken as a troll, and there will never be a chance to counter-argue in a civilized manner. I can only hope that someone can explain to these people the value of making friends and accepting others, rather than condemning people and causing anger.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
rap does take talent though...
Good rap does, anyway... Just regular rap does not. Remember, this is the genre that gave us Soulja boy. :p

OT: It's a troll video; what more do you expect? With a title like that, it is damn hard for it to be anything else.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
All kinds of music takes a talent or feel of some kind. Everyone's opinions just differ on what is good talent and good feel.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I don't think the kids were trolling people for one reason: the description reads "Sugarspook45's video "Why metal and rock is stupid and talentless" He removed the video from his channel, so i re-uploaded it." This shows that he genuinely thinks what he said and was overwhelmed by the negative response so he just removed it.

And yeah, the kid is dumb. He obviously knows nothing at all about rock/metal and seems to think that appearance is everything. He brought up the guy with "50 piercings on his face"; maybe he also listens to smooth jazz. I wear button down shirts almost every day and I listen to jazz, classical, indie rock, a bit of alternative, classic rock and metal. Everyone of his arguments against rock/metal is invalid.

I will say this, rap does take talent. I'm no good at it and most of my friends are awful at it to so it obviously takes work. The same is true with metal. If he went and picked up a guitar for the first time, he would have no idea what to do. How to tune it, how to strum or how to make chords. He wouldn't be able to play the solo from "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation" right away, much the same way that I can't instantly make a hip-hop beat. That's another one of his arguments. If you take any musician out of their confort zone they will have trouble.

I'm just going to leave it at that because it's late and I'm tired.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
They're kids. Most kids don't know jack shit about music and if it's plainly obvious that they're full of shit then you can probably just close the video and move on with your life.