I Have No Idea What They're Singing, But I Love It!

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Here, have some Northern Sami folk music. Gorgeous language, gorgeous songs.

Vadjolus[/youtube]
Gavpot[/youtube]
Stirdon[/youtube]

It's not often I start learning a language just to understand a song, but goddamn. Niko Valkepää is amazing.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
I discovered Eliyahu Sills when I wanted to hear Middle Eastern styles of music. I have only the barest of clues what they are singing; love, loss, life, etc., but they perform it splendidly!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Paprika theme (vocal version]

I read somewhere that they made the tune first but find it hard to make the lyric for it! God I loved this song to much!

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Funnily enough, my favourite album actually just so happens to be in a foreign tongue; purportedly an amalgam of Norwegian and some form of archaic Danish:

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Sooo I have a few. One is the credits theme for the movie District B-13, a badass french Parkour movie. It's in French. and It's Rap. Nope, no joke.

And the other one is this gem right here;

you can not find an english lyrics list ANYWHERE. No one even knows what the song is called, so they just call it 'emptiness and...'

also this metal band;

some stuff in English, others in Japanese. I LOVE IT.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I would say Rammstein aber ich kann ein bischen Deutsch sprechen. So it's a mixture of not understanding the lyrics and then actually being able to translate. Of course I can have trouble making out what English singers are saying at times, let alone German ones. So a lot of Heavy Metal would fall under "can't understand" for me despite being in English.

I'm also a fan of Sabaton's "Carolus Rex" in both English and Swedish despite not knowing a lick of Swedish.
And there are some various other pieces I like from different areas.
Even for songs I can't understand (for whatever reason) though, I tend to look up the lyrics/meaning just so I know what the song is about at least, even if I can't properly sing it.
Esotera said:

They're singing complete nonsense, but it's made to sound like English does to a non-English speaker. Also the video is possibly one of the weirdest/best I've ever seen...
I have to say that as a native English speaker it does sound like they should be speaking English despite the lyrics barely containing any actual words (ones I hear might just be my brain trying to make sense of the sounds). My mind struggles to make sense out of the babble due to how close to English is sounds.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
J-Pop is a given. I have two playlists on youtube for it. One for the songs that have been used in anime. One for the ones that don't. But this would be a long and extensive list. Also probably obvious.

So I have another playlist titled World music for music in other languages that don't include Japan.

Korean music, Chinese music... Some French and Spanish.

French is by far the newest for me. My new flavor there is a song known as...

"Derniere Danse" by a group called Kyo. I can't get it out of my head.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Kvelertak! They're Norwegian- Erlend sings in mostly Norwegian with a little English thrown in, but I still love it. Considering most of their first album is about Norse mythology (as far as I know, I can't really remember) it's quite fitting. To be honest I had a few misgivings when I heard about them- they're usually described as a mix of rock & roll, punk and black metal, which didn't sound too good to me (really not a black metal fan), but it's fucking awesome. I can't think of a band with a cooler sound.

Other than that, maybe Rammstein, although if it weren't for their incredible live show I wouldn't care about them at all- musically they're pretty dull.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I've got to admit that I can speak the language, but there's some fantastic talent in Afrikaans rock music worth checking out for those interested, Fokofpolisiekar (Fuckoffpolicecar) being one of oldest (and yet still top) bands here, Van Coke Kartel and Die Heuwels Fantasties I also highly recommend.

And something more metal-ish for those who like it louder