I Hit It With My Axe: Episode 13: Aaaah! Rat! Giant Bee!

Satine Phoenix

Feb 19, 2010
FearlessFelix said:
I've been reading a lot of the negative comments and I just wanted to pop out of lurkerdom to give my own thoughts on the show.

At first I just watched it to see whether the girls were actually playing for fun or whether they'd been blackmailed into it, and I was glad (and mildly surprised) to see they were all having quite a bit of fun, even Sasha. It may not have been her cup of tea, but she was pretty up for it and had her moments of newb win. This would have been a major disappointment if nobody had some genuine excitement for dice slinging. Really enjoy all the players at the table. Sadness, I don't think I've seen Mandy laughing as much as the others recently, she seems to have buckled down to being the party support tool and explainer of things (my read). Kim, Satine, and Frankie are freaking awesome, they all enjoy the game a lot and really show that. Loved the, "Die ******," from Kim in this episode, and that one episode with the mushrooms was great all around. Don't seem to see Connie as much as the others it seems, guess she's the quieter one? And Justine is a freaking awesome newbie, hope she sticks around for a while if not becoming a full fledged or recurring member.

Overall Review of the Show: It's actually pretty good and shows signs of picking up tricks to make it better (there's a better word than tricks but I can't think of it. Device that shows the table, game, player's, and mechanics from a lot of different angles??). Anyway, this new episode did some cool things with panning to character sheets, the dungeon map, and such that helped to set the scene. Really liked that, especially the squiggly character sheets with random notes and such on them. Wouldn't mind maybe seeing an episode where the group rated the DM and the last adventure, talked about what they wanted to do next, or see happen, that kinda thing. Early on there seemed to be an idea of having a real world, private time moment with two of the girls on a bed opening up outside of DM earshot or something. It kinda bored me, ymmv. Either which way, it's gone now (at least for the moment) so, props.

As far as goes the house/apartment, I like seeing people in the natural space where they're comfortable at. My apartment has gone the gamut from "museum quality" (real pretty but don't touch ANYTHING) to a grungy pit that eats your shoes if you go in the bathroom. Throwaway Idea: have you guys considered grabbing a chessex map or some such, the leatherette maps with squares or hexes for showing positioning and inking out the battle map? Works great with minis, reaper or otherwise.

And lastly, all the girls are snugglies, let no one say otherwise. And if in some unfortunate twist of circumstances their current bf should meet a tragic and mysterious end, I promise there will always be a fan in the wings to offer cuddly support (depending on current rates on air fare)
Thanks for the review!!!! And thanks for speaking up!

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Satine Phoenix said:
Hiphophippo said:
Satine Phoenix posts here on the Escapist sometimes? Boy...that sure makes me feel awkward.

Hi?
HI! >:D
I'm 28 years old but all of a sudden I feel like I'm 13, girls have cooties, and I'm afraid of them. I think I just E-blushed.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
mandymorbid said:
EddySpaghetti said:
I wood be ashamed to film in a house like that...i sugest a bigger place with beter lights and a tripod camera...
So...you're the Mussolini kind of Italian rather than the fun kind?
HAHAHAHAHA This literally had me laughing in my seat. :) I'm the fun kind of Italian, we're way better. :) Also great episode, the bit with throwing Justine in the air to turn some of them into stone was brilliant. A strategic tactical victory! Way to go with stealing their rides too.

mandymorbid

Blindheim!
Mar 17, 2010
rddj623 said:
mandymorbid said:
EddySpaghetti said:
I wood be ashamed to film in a house like that...i sugest a bigger place with beter lights and a tripod camera...
So...you're the Mussolini kind of Italian rather than the fun kind?
HAHAHAHAHA This literally had me laughing in my seat. :) I'm the fun kind of Italian, we're way better. :) Also great episode, the bit with throwing Justine in the air to turn some of them into stone was brilliant. A strategic tactical victory! Way to go with stealing their rides too.
I love it when people have a sense of humor! Thank you.

FearlessFelix

Jun 10, 2010
I'm going to admit that I have no idea of why it's that hilarious (no hates). Mussolini being the fascist, spaghetti being silly and funny, I get. Ah well.

The Edited Part: Also I notice this was posted at 1:15 am PST so I'm willing to bet you were waiting for someone to finally notice how clever that was. (money in hand, waiting to see if my horse wins)

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
mandymorbid said:
I love it when people have a sense of humor! Thank you.
I don't know how people can go through life without a good sense of humor! It makes good times better and helps you get through the worst spots. It's one of my greatest assets I think :) Oh and you're welcome.

Mordicai Caeli

May 1, 2010
FearlessFelix said:
Man, in 3rd and 3.5, my Clerics and Druids weren't allowing the spotlight to waver one bit! They were the most monstrously powerful classes to play. Wanna play a Necromancer? PLay a cleric. Wanna play a warrior? PLay a cleric. Like being a primary spellcaster that has swallow (whole) as a backup option? PLay a druid.
Ugh, tell me about it; Cleric & Druid were easily the most powerful classes. Though I have to say, when all is said & done, I think Warlock & Scout were the two MOST FUN classes.

countolaf108

Feb 10, 2009
I for one am far too lazy to read through pages and pages of comments to actually contribute to the whole "discussion" of what most thread boards I linger through have to say. But I will state here that I quite enjoy this show for it's brash audience appeal and the fact that it is the only "reality" show on the Internet that I've actually been able to sit through. And no it's not because of the breasts, it's actually that I quite enjoy the quirks of many D&D campaign stories. Even though I've only really started playing D&D this last month or so (and that was really to appeal to my sisters interests and her moving away), before, one of my favourite past-times or discussions with friends was listening to their adventures in a sub-cultured world of imagination and fantasy that predated the invention of video games. I found Pen and Paper tales very, very interesting.

Though with this, I find I have to pause this show, cause, I really disdain reality TV shows for the fact that I'm just wasting time with someone elses life; when I could be involved in mine. But, I like the quirkiness of this down to earth atmosphere that this show brings to the escapist. Take into account that everything else on here is either satire, blunt, comedy, or parodied. However this show breaks that mold. And for that, I like it.

I think those haters of this show really need to look at what shows on here are their favourite, and ask if there really is any variety to them that jumps more than 2 distinctions that separate them other than titles.

Also take into that this site is a magazine for gaming, and the Pen and Paper world is much different to the Video game world, and maybe some hardcore gamers should just understand that it's like seeing a different culture. Of course it's different, and maybe it's boring to you, but to others who may be not buying into the "hype" of witty satire and written story week in and out that it becomes mundane, that it is nice to have some fresh life on this site.

And that is my rant. Thank you and good day.