I Hit It With My Axe: Episode 16: "Now & Then A Player Will Die"

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
damn. your party actually cares.
when somebody dies in my party, everybody is like; meh, new character time!
and then they find a way to play a more overpowered character

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Satine, if I were you, I'd make a Ranger and choose Goblin as the Racial Enemy. Then bring the pain.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Our Last campaign we had 5 character deaths, 3 of them belong to one person and only 1 wasn't comical.
Nothing like watch a confused Barbarian and Rogue go running down the hall only to have the Barbarian do full power attack and crit him with a 2 handed weapon he did like 100 points. The other same barbarian fails to grapple a wizard, resulting in the death of a Sorcerer who belonged to the rogue. The other time he died he charge when one of those demon retrievers and was promptly dismembered. Barbarian eventually got his reward he attacked an Ice Worm and it exploded killing him.

Navdi

Feb 18, 2010
CapnRaccoon said:
I didn't expect her to go, I sort of expected Justine to go, merely because she's a guest.
A player character death tailored for the guest player's character would imply pre-planning on the DM's part, which goes against the whole idea old school role-playing. The DM didn't kill Satine's character because he chose to, or because he planned to, or because he derived some sort of enjoyment out of it. Instead, the choices the players made caused a situation where player character death was an unavoidable eventuality.

And that's part of what makes old school gaming so damn cool.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Satine, this ones for you.....(poors some of his nice cup of tea on the floor for a departed homie)........(pauses and realises he's made a mess on the crapet and runs off to find something to clean it up with.) That point were Zak said "then you have no more dreams" was really poignant. Satine I hope you had better class than I would in the situation and rolled a new character in time for next week. If it was me I would have had a proper tantrum. I would have smashed stuff up...like a minature or a cup!....oh yeah!....I'm bad ass!

CapnRaccoon

Jun 16, 2010
Navdi said:
CapnRaccoon said:
I didn't expect her to go, I sort of expected Justine to go, merely because she's a guest.
A player character death tailored for the guest player's character would imply pre-planning on the DM's part, which goes against the whole idea old school role-playing. The DM didn't kill Satine's character because he chose to, or because he planned to, or because he derived some sort of enjoyment out of it. Instead, the choices the players made caused a situation where player character death was an unavoidable eventuality.

And that's part of what makes old school gaming so damn cool.
Oh I knew that; But I figured she was a guest character because she died.
In retrospect they film these like once a week I think, so they wouldn't have known when she joined.

Erick.S

Jun 4, 2010
I've heard that wood elf blood is a good skin moisturizer.

Other than that, I'm actually glad there weren't more deaths, after last week's horror, and apparently focusing on the dice in order to get better results doesn't suck just for me, so... yay!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
"For fun, what are you doing?"
"Fucking stabbing that asshole!"
:D

Really loving those dreams, by the way. Makes sure the unconscious players aren't just sitting there going bored while watching everyone else fight. I think I'm gonna steal that idea. :3

Too bad Satine's character died, but at least it was a good death.

Dave Wood

Apr 4, 2010
This is getting better and better :) love the Wood elf Death lol my hat goes off to the DM for that

Keep it up peeps wicked fun

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That was a deliciously gory description... reminds me of some of my old Rifts games... granted it was the PC's committing gruesome acts of violence way back then so... yeah...

Nejira

Oct 16, 2009
Daselthechaz said:
flirl21187 said:
Augh! No! Not Satine!

Sad day guys, sad day.
It's all true. I did think that, I do want Justine to stick around--if only because she's not half as high or aloof as Sasha was
I second that, keep Justine around :)

Great episode, doing character deaths is never easy but its was handle very well. Both by GM and players.

3 cheers for Satine for being a good sport about her character dying!

Noumenon

Jun 6, 2010
Wow, even after having seen the trailer last episode the actual episode wasn't spoiled -- learning that the death scene we heard was actually described in a dream so that the character was aware of her own death made it very tragic (music helped a lot of course). The dreams rocked.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Noumenon said:
Wow, even after having seen the trailer last episode the actual episode wasn't spoiled -- learning that the death scene we heard was actually described in a dream so that the character was aware of her own death made it very tragic (music helped a lot of course). The dreams rocked.
Seconded. The music combined with the description of demise reminded me of Last of the Mohicans, great movie, and great soundtrack.

I agree with Frankie in getting her own dice, it often helps with the rolls, mysteriously.

fleischwolke

Feb 8, 2010
Poignant isn't the right word, but it's damn close. The dreams cracked me up - well done. "Save us, save us!" - that was pure brilliance. It might be funny - but what if it isn't.

Keep it up!