I Hit It With My Axe: Episode 16: "Now & Then A Player Will Die"

Tokolosh

Jun 30, 2010
Tits or GTFO! ;)

Just got through watching all the vids. It's always fun to see people break a mold/stereotype. The background contrast between the "adult performer" and "DnD dork" stereotype makes this show interesting!

Great job people, will be looking for more!

PS Zak i like some of your art, just wondering if i wanted to buy a painting.... who where and what?

Mar 26, 2008
Noooooo not Satine; cast resurrect; someone do something! Didn't see that coming as a result of the darkness spells. Damn goblin!

Man those dreams were surreal.

Is that Justine's real eye colour or are those contacts? I just noticed how blue they are when she was talking to the camera.

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
dex-dex said:
NOOOOOOO! Not Satine!
so the new plan is...?

Also the Canadian coat of arms does have a unicorn to represent the scotland's symbol which is a unicorn!
I though the reason they both had a unicorn was because the Canadian coat of arms is based of the Royal Coat of arms, with a lion and unicorn rearing up. I know that the Canadian coat of arms also has a harp (wtf?) a bunch more lions, the fleur-de-lis, some trilliums and a bunch more Canadian flowers. I think all the provinces are somehow represented in it.

I also want to second the dismay over Satine's wood elf dying. I always hate when my character dies, but at least I don't hear horribly depressing music at the same time. I'm glad that your wood elf had a very last dream that was nice. It somewhat makes up for having one of these slash your neck open.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
To be fair, Zack didn't have a choice there. It was good DMing since that was exactly what the goblins would do in that situation (and I know from goblins, y'know!).

Still, poor Satine. That ain't no way for an adventurer to die.

Hope she rolls a kick ass character for next week!

Mar 26, 2008
gallaetha_matt said:
To be fair, Zack didn't have a choice there. It was good DMing since that was exactly what the goblins would do in that situation (and I know from goblins, y'know!).
Exactly! I'm impressed with his intuitive DM'ing

stormyfs

Sep 15, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Is that Justine's real eye colour or are those contacts? I just noticed how blue they are when she was talking to the camera.
Confirming that I also thought "Jesus christ, those are stunningly BLUE."

In addition, while it does suck horribly for Satine's character to get thoroughly minced by a horde of angry goblins, the remainder of the party can take solace in not only the fact that they are currently surviving (so far) but it also allows the possibility of a heroic rescue from Satine's new char which, while unfortunately more than cliche, may allow the majority of them to regain conciousness.
Not quite sure if it's due to my own RPG experience, or general callousness, but while Satine lost a single character due to the Darkness bomb, it has protected the rest of them temporarily, and in my mind it is always preferable to lose one instead of losing three or four.
Still pretty :( though.

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
Poor Satine...your mangled Wood Elf shall never be forgotten. As a former DM in my younger days I remember all too well handing people the AD&D 2nd edition Handbook and Character sheets after a well-rounded SNAFU. They usually wanted me to cheat and pretend it didn't happen in the name of "fun", but...nah. Your wizard is dead, sucka. Re-roll.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
I wanna say that I'm dissapointed that this show that I dont watch bumped ENN of the top of the page. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed having an extra dose of moviebob.

I guess you gotta go with what people watch though.

vcdaniels

Jan 8, 2010
The music was quite fitting for a death in the party.
. . .
Now I wanna listen to Type O Negative all of a sudden.

Mar 26, 2008
stormyfs said:
Stunning alright! I was watching it on a pissy monitor and almost fell off my chair they popped so much. Doesn't hurt she's an adorable person as well.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
OH she died?

Just hit Reload and go to a previous save... oh yeah..

(EDIT - her character wasn't name DRAK was it? )*See what I did there?^

So her new character will be Ladder Girl.

mandymorbid

Blindheim!
Mar 17, 2010
stormyfs said:
Stunning alright! I was watching it on a pissy monitor and almost fell off my chair they popped so much. Doesn't hurt she's an adorable person as well.
She's just as stunning and adorable without the extra blue contacts.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Zak is too nice. The guy who used to be DMG for us took it as a point of pride whenever anyone died. Especially if he could get it to be one of the players to kill the other.

Oh, and Fumble Chart rules. If you roll a 1, you roll a d100 and look to a homebrew fumble chart to see what kind of insane crap happens.

stormyfs

Sep 15, 2008
mandymorbid said:
Pyramid: Destroyed
She's just as stunning and adorable without the extra blue contacts.
Goes without saying to be honest, as you all are. [ /charm :p]
Of course, the real question is: Do you all get angry, violent goblin payback?

And as for Frankie's dice-luck, it may be my own superstition, but I've always rolled better with my own dice and do particularly well if I don't "cheat" on them by using someone else's dice... Vagarities of fate and nuances of silliness abound!

Meander112

Spiritual Scientific Skeptic
Jan 26, 2010
It's the threat of actual PC death that is, oddly, one of the good parts about D&D. There is something to loose. You don't just respawn at the graveyard or reload a saved game. That's it. Especially at low levels.

Hmmm. I may need to take away all the anti-dying rules I have in my game.

Excellent music by the by. Also, of all the players, Satine has been playing the longest, I think, so she's the one most prepared for this possibility. There's that, at least.

Rick Marshall

Mar 21, 2010
Very well done, Zak. The dreams were like a possibly parting gift to the players in trouble, the use of humor and poignancy in them helped counterpoint the action, the paradox of the darkness helping most of the characters but dooming Satine was rightly judged, her death dream held nothing back and so honored the death of her character, and the change in music helped point all of the episodes so far to this one that differs, retroactively binding them together as more than just a plot, as a story, one that emerges unexpectedly but no less meaningfully from the choices everyone makes along the way. Again, nicely done.

And as others have said, my sympathies to Satine.

flirl21187

Jun 28, 2010
Rick Marshall said:
Very well done, Zak. The dreams were like a possibly parting gift to the players in trouble, the use of humor and poignancy in them helped counterpoint the action, the paradox of the darkness helping most of the characters but dooming Satine was rightly judged, her death dream held nothing back and so honored the death of her character, and the change in music helped point all of the episodes so far to this one that differs, retroactively binding them together as more than just a plot, as a story, one that emerges unexpectedly but no less meaningfully from the choices everyone makes along the way. Again, nicely done.

And as others have said, my sympathies to Satine.
Well said, sir. Well said.

Satine Phoenix

Feb 19, 2010
SOOO hard to keep this secret in for SO LONG. It was sooooooo hard watching Mirror die. I loved her so much. I've never really had a character die before... well once but it didn't count. ... And I almost cried. Really... But the next character is cool. :D

BillionSix

Mar 20, 2010
Sorry to watch your character die, Satine. :(

I loved watching your face when he explained your dream, though. (The first dream, not the death dream.)
You have a really large, amazing, beautiful smile.
(Not sure if I want to post this, and sound like a fawning fanboy. I haven't seen any of your films, sadly, so I am purely a Smile Fanboy at this point.)

I guess you can't really do a resurrection. Even if you could get one, the goblins have the body.
I look forward to seeing what your next character is like!

I am looking forward to