I just don't understand people. (LA Noire related)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
MrL said:
lol wow just learnt that this game isnt free roam like gta...

i prefer games where i can CHOOSE how to act. i HATE being limited by things. in gta i could just get in my car and go and tear up the entire city which was very freeing.

in this im limited and have to follow a story? also whats with the investagation stuff? i dont want to be examining objects i want to be out there doing whatever i want. i think id fall asleep doing the 'investagation' stuff.

might not even rent this one ..... whose with me?
nh38fcv37jf04h3 said:
this game doesn't even have mutliplayer? why would i want to get it if it doesn't have multiplayer?

i was thinking about getting cause i thought another game like red dead redemption would be fun but it doesn't even have multiplayer. why would i want to get this?
ninjahitman13 said:
i hate how everyone is hating on other people for them wanting this to be free roam or to be able to kill whoever you want. There reply is always "if you want that go play gta 4" well maybe we want to do that in L.A. Noire? or maybe we want to be able to have that aspect of gta, but with a better created enviorment. look at the graphical changes from gta 4 to this..... its amazing.

From what I gather, not only has everyone turned into a murderous psychopath, but they aren't satisfied unless they're killing virtual avatars of other people, regardless of what kind of game it is. Is this...average, or are these people in the minority? I only took a few quotes, but there are many, many more that I could have used from that particular forum.

Is it so horrible to have a story driven game that isn't filled with explosions and mass murder? What happened during the time when online multiplayer didn't even exist?

Really, people confuse me.

That said, I'm really psyched for LA Noire.

Edit: I forgot the major point. Have people forgotten what immersion means?

I see absolutely no reason why they would allow Cole Phelps (You) to go out and murder anyone he feels like, especially considering that he's supposed to be the only (Or one of the few) uncorruptable and (Mostly)'by the book' officer in the department. Running around gunning old women down does not equal good police work!

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Welcome to the mindset of your average action gamer. Have a nice day.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
L.A. Noire may be my most anticipated game of all time (so far).

They don't like games like it.

They aren't in the majority or minority. They just have a different taste than us. I don't really get it either, but that's the point of people being different, isn't it?

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Those spoiled brats don't deserve to experience something as awesome as LA Noire.
I'm psyched about the game too, if you didn't guess already.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
They're complaining because the game they got is not exactly what the wanted, so they're blaming the game instead of getting, I don't know, one that suits them?

I'm not in the least surprised.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
"I want to go on a murderous rampage throughout the city more realistically than I could in GTA4!"

Seriously, who wants a story.

Apr 28, 2008
You can't murder random people whenever you feel like it?

Good. At least we won't have the dichotomy between story and gameplay where you just come back from murdering half the city, and your character goes "Thats not right, I'm here to help people!" or something like that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Irridium said:
You can't murder random people whenever you feel like it?

Good. At least we won't have the dichotomy between story and gameplay where you just come back from murdering half the city, and your character goes "Thats not right, I'm here to help people!" or something like that.
Technically, you can run people over while driving. But doing it once or twice will severely impact your 'rating', and doing it more than that will make you auto-fail the case or set you back to the last 'checkpoint'.

You only get to fight when provoked, and can only draw/fire your gun once a gun has been drawn on you. Only about one in three cases will have any kind of firefight, according to what I read.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
I think the confusion here comes from the fact that a lot of people who know about the game don't know it's not by Rockstar, but Team Bondi. I had a hard time convincing somebody who has been folliwing the game for months that R* wasn't making it.
What annoys me most about this is that there has been very little gameplay shown, and nothing much said about how the free roam will actually work.
What makes me laugh is how loads of people really seem to hate GTA4, but want LA Noire to just be that in the 40's.
/Rant

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
Complaining about the investigating and lack of random murder in L.A. Noire? Really? Have they forgotten that the protagonist is a police officer and not a raging psychopath? Any vague relation to Rockstar does not mean " This game is a GTA Clone". Even in RDR I didn't shoot civilians, and rather took the time to help them. I also enjoyed Mafia 2, because of the story, because of the setting. I like crime games but my friend tried to convince me not to get it because it didn't have freeroam. To me, freeroam wasn't the point. He tried to argue that it had no replay value, simply because it had a semi-linear story. I've lost count of how many times I've played Max Payne 2 and most of that was running down scripted halways and fighting scripted AI. I still had fun.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
L.A. Noire is just a different kind of game from Rockstar. Honestly, if you want to go on a psychotic killing spree with your buddies, go on Red Dead or GTA IV (It really makes no sense in this game anyway seeing as you play as one of the few good cops in L.A.). If you don't want to get invested in a finely crafted singleplayer crime drama then L.A. Noire isn't for you.

I pre-ordered it Saturday, I can't fucking wait.

thedevilscousin

Nov 14, 2010
Hah, and to think that i actually like the fact that they are finally making a story driven game where you are not supposed to go on a murderous rampage, well it's an option like in any game... but it's more limited here.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
When I first heard about L.A Noire I was more interested than I was for GTA4. I'm one of those people who liked the CSI games for PC a few years back and this looks similar, but with far superior story and gameplay.

If people want to go on a rampage killing spree in a sandbox setting, they should stick with Saints Row 2 or Just Cause 2. I'm secretly hoping that those people the Op is quoting aren't for real. Not everything needs to be a sandbox and multiplayer.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Really, catering to the "run amok causing mass death and chaos" crowd is kind of holding the sandbox back. Some games do that well (Saint's Row), but it's just shoehorned into others at the expensive of the narrative and doesn't really add anything.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
While I'm somewhat disappointed it won't be free roaming I'm still hoping for a good story and some unique investigation mechanics. It wouldn't make sense for a policeman to be going out shooting innocent people unless they make it like Wheelman and you can't kill civilians although that would really suck. My problem is that it'll be too easy. I heard it's impossible to fail the investigations which doesn't sit well with me.

LegionDre

Sep 2, 2010
To be completely honest I only saw the commercial on TV for LA Noire and decided right then and there that I was not going to get it. It is only now that I see that its is not just another GTA knock-off that I will consider a rental. Mass murder can be fun in small doses but it should not be what we expect when we see a video game about being a cop or a criminal.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
run_forrest_run said:
While I'm somewhat disappointed it won't be free roaming I'm still hoping for a good story and some unique investigation mechanics. It wouldn't make sense for a policeman to be going out shooting innocent people unless they make it like Wheelman and you can't kill civilians although that would really suck. My problem is that it'll be too easy. I heard it's impossible to fail the investigations which doesn't sit well with me.
You can fail investigations, but you can't fail the game.

As in, apparently even if you fail an investigation, there will still be a way to advance in the ranks, thus advancing in the game. So it isn't as though failing an investigation is an instant game over.

That's all I know, though. I have zero information on what the alternative methods of progressing through the game are.