I Just Lost Faith In The Internet

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
cookyy2k said:
The News Reports rarely have any sense of objectivity, typically playing to the key demographic's tastes and attitudes
Ok the,n show me any website/tv channel or news paper that doesn't do this...

These guys are clearly people who feel scorned by the ban hammer on this site and just can't take the fact they broke the rules and that's why it happened. Its becoming all too common place in society that everyone claims they haven't done anything wrong its the rules that must be wrong, too restrictive or enforced wrong. My response is well good, a nice heavy ban hammer applied liberally to peoples skulls stops this place decending into the internet forums that are just intollerable. Trolling, Flaming and short post "+1" users can all go somewhere else (I hear youtube and yahoo are nice this time of year...) I like the escapist like this, means we can have discussions like well this without douches everywhere.
Sometimes people can not like something about being banned/butthurt. And you know what? THEY DID GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! And you found them anyway to whine about them here!

Y'know, sometimes people change laws not because they're butthurt, but because the laws need changing. If laws don't change, some may move to a different state or city. But they still reserve the right to complain about how much the laws sucked where they used to live.

Also every news group has some bias. It's a matter of degree. This is a basic journalistic principle. When an article writer fights in the comments to prove his subjective opinion is the "right" one, and many articles read like editorials even when they're not billed as such, then accusations of excessive bias are thrown around.

But really, just laugh about it. Have a little fun laughing at what's silly, exaggerated and slightly truthful. No need to be super serious, and I'm not going to try to start something if people are having a fun time.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
If you want more of that you could always go to the sity "Busy Street", although they generally are a site that hates on Thatguywiththeglasses.com and its affiliates, it's also made its fair share of stabs and jabs at the Escapist. Not that I've spent more than two minutes on there.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
This part is actually true : "Criticism is also grounds for suspension because it is inherently negative, the excuse being "If you don't like it, don't watch it".[10]

Had this experience myself in a discussion about the love faq column.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Compared to the fact that ED's only mention of us was that our forums are full of "trollz and lulz" I'd say this isn't too bad.

Any publicity is good publicity, and at the end of the day they're just weak trolls. I mean let's face it, if anybody's critical of this site and it's forums it's the forum-users that have the most to say.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Fugitive Panda said:
enzilewulf said:
We are the opposite of 4chan really which to me is like the opposite between god and the devil really... except the sites actually exists heyyy ohhh!. No just kidding that last joke was mean but by my god reference I mean this, yes we know the Devil is bad and that is 4chan and we are God. Yet it is safe to say that god has made people do some fucked up things and isn't short of killing almost all of the world or making a dad kill his son and then say just kidding. This sight is big on a few things that I have bitched and whined about for a while now and its this: Their stance on Evolution and how most of the population here thinks your a total fuck up if you don't think Evolution was how we came about, their stupid obsession with being the biggest grammar Nazi's ever, and how glued everyone is to ZP and maybe this last one is just me but I see alot of people using the same grammar as he uses but maybe this is just me. Now the reason I pointed that out is because we take fire for those reasons. Its just best to ignore it and move on because despite the reasons mentioned above we still have a awesome community that is very civilized.
That was the worst thing I've ever read.

Also, I doubt you've ever been to 4chan.
Actually a frequent visitor of /v/.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Intresting....Taken from their page on the escapist:

If you are here because you were egosurfing or looking for negative opinion of your online messiah, then bear in mind that this wiki is undergoing a painfully slow, but sure revamp in article quality. Please bear this in mind before you open a topic in your sycophantic community forum speculating on any jealousy or trollishness we may or may not have. Yes, we saw that. You know who you are.
I'm tempted to say, don't feed the trolls, but reading into some of their articles it's much better then ED. It has valid points, and the pictures they use are at least not as bad as ED's choices. If they can get it originised, it may well be a decent site in the future. Good luck to whoever is running the show though, it'll be a struggle to set it up to have constructive critisim.

Also, the title of the thread is pretty weak. Since when has anyone had any faith in the internet?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
thick doona said:
Samurai Goomba said:
That member is not one of ours! XD

What, did you write these pages and don't like it when people point out how terrible they are?
>:) No, or it would be funnier. Also I have never heard of DHI in my life before now, I don't know what you're talking about, good sir!

So... Quick note about the "template: [color]" thing you might notice on the upper-left corner of each article. It denotes how "good" the article writers think the piece is. So the "escapist forums" one is brown, indicating they think it's crap. The general escapist one is black, indicating slightly higher quality. Thought that might be interesting. My cousin told me about it anonymously from Saudi Arabia. Over long distance. And I never heard of it before today.

As somebody pointed out, articles are being slowly edited to not suck as hard. So if you laugh at it now, check back in a year and maybe you'll spit up a rib.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
"The Escapist Forums are The Escapist's veritable hub of autism, fanboys and TVTropes editors"

Yeah, that "autism" one made me laugh (its true on many levels). So someone doesn't like the website? As long as they don't actually start spawning threads all over the place on here then it doesn't matter. Who cares?

Most of the moderation points are dead-on, by the way.
They should've mentioned Friedrich Nietzsche with his 500 sockpuppet accounts on here.

...Or maybe we just have a lot of teenagers.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
I agree that it gets tiresome to log in on here everyday and see threads about someones relationship drama, or new topic posts on subjects that were literally discussed the day previous but with a slightly different headline.

And I'm one of those who paid the $20 bucks just to bypass the annoying ads. That and as a sort of paid endorsement for Extra Credits, I love their work.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
To be perfectly honest, some of their arguments about the forums "tightassery" as they put it, is completely true in my experience.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Reading some of the articles on the site about the Escapist....they can't seem to make their minds up whether they like it or not! They keep contradicting themselves...like insulting something then saying "yeah it's really good". Silly internet people. I don't think anyone goes on this site anyway.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
i'm sorry but these forums are a fucking paradise compared to those blood flecked vomit puddles over at gamefaqs

thick doona

Jul 11, 2011
JWRosser said:
Reading some of the articles on the site about the Escapist....they can't seem to make their minds up whether they like it or not! They keep contradicting themselves...like insulting something then saying "yeah it's really good". Silly internet people. I don't think anyone goes on this site anyway.
Hahaha! I've seen that as well. What example of this are you talking about?
Skorpyo said:
Yeah, I read the linked articles. I smell /b/ at work.
Definitely!
http://deadhorseinterchange.com/wiki/index.php?title=Moneyfaggery
Just homophobic enough.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
thick doona said:
JWRosser said:
Hahaha! I've seen that as well. What example of this are you talking about?
Skorpyo said:
Yeah, I read the linked articles. I smell /b/ at work.
Definitely!
http://deadhorseinterchange.com/wiki/index.php?title=Moneyfaggery
Just homophobic enough.
Like reading the Extra Credits page! They go on about how bad it is, then refer to it as "the only other good show". It's quite funny. Also, I didn't know Graham was in a relationship with whatshername. How scandalous!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
And the point of this? Not being rude or anything but there are always some sites somewhere that make article about bashing another site or etc (e.g. when dramatica encyclopedia made a article bashing a webcomic artist that I liked).
Also at the end of the day it's just text on the computer screen so it hardly a threat to anyone espically to that type of website where hardly anyone would take it seriously unless you do.
So just like I do with some youtube comments (yeah I did take a quick look at it) I will just brush it off, close the tab and move it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I mean its not like this site itself actually takes itself seriously...right? it just seems to be "come here and ***** about things you don't like" type deal