I just lost my mother to lung-cancer...

FateWitch13

Mar 10, 2013
I am very sorry you had to watch your mother die. It was very brave, what your did for your siblings. You are a very strong person. Do not be afraid to break. It's ok.

As for what I listen to for tragedy or really anything of that regard, it will always be Type O Negative.

http://youtu.be/TJK4i16tXck =Type O Negative, "Blood Kisses" {A Death in the Family}

http://youtu.be/n67NHhfWUCM =Type O Negative, "September Sun"

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'm sorry for your loss, I've actually lost one of our dogs on Monday (had to be put down) and it's a shitty time of year to lose someone you care about (our pets are part of the family). Best wishes to you and your family and feel free to PM if you'd like to chat or get into a game and let our frustrations on some AI.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
My mother also died of lung cancer, about 6 years ago. A long-time advocate of euthanasia, she was denied the chance to die in the way she wanted after much of the progress that had been made towards legalising euthanasia in this country was destroyed. What could and should have been a clean, painless death was instead complicated in terrible ways. Fortunately she still suffered much less than she might have, had things gone a different way.

Anyway, enough of the soapbox, it's not really why I'm posting. Just wanted to let you know that I shared a similar experience. I was with my mother when she died, and I called my siblings to tell them the news. It wasn't easy, but in a way it wasn't actually that hard, either. She had led a good life and, despite everything, ended it on her own terms.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
ScorpionPrince said:
Thanks for reading this, I just needed to vent. It helps.
I recently lost my Aunt to a drug overdoes, Mother to a heart attack, Grandmother to hospital complication, best friend to liver cancer and even my cat to old age.

My Mother, Grandmother and cat were last year, all one right after another... that wasn't a happy year.
My life is supposedly just beginning, and I've lost every single person I love.

So yeah, your holidays are undoubtedly shitty now, but just know you're not alone. I hope that offers at least some minor degree of good feels(?) or whatever that "misery loves company" trope is supposed to mean.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Sorry to hear about that, hope you can find some bright spot on the horizon somewhere down the line. No words can comfort and all that but know that there are people who can sympathize and/or empathize with your sorrows.

Jacques Joseph

Nov 15, 2012
I´m really sorry for your loss. I don´t know what to say and I can´t even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. So yeah, sorry for your loss, I´m just one of those friendly strangers hearing you out hoping it helps at least a bit.

I don´t really know about videogame music but for me, Loreena McKennitt is an artist that´s got a very soothing voice and overall her songs feel very comforting. Like she´s establishing a very personal relationship between herself and you. Like she´s another one of those friendly strangers...

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
ScorpionPrince said:
MY sympathies to you and yours. Such a loss I find incomprehensible and I can only hope I can be as brave, dutiful and optimistic as you are now when the time inevitably comes.

As for music to listen to... May I ask, What did your mother listen too? I know my Mother's favourite song is Memories by Elvis Presley

Maybe you'll find comfort and memories in the songs she liked.

Other songs I listen too regarding such things...

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
ScorpionPrince said:
Hey Escapists, My mother died in her sleep this sunday. I was the last to visit her in the hospital the night before. Things seemed to be going well, she was still very weak, but she had hope that she would at least have the energy to walk around a bit and celebrate christmas together with the family.

Then, early next morning I got a call from the hospital... I woke my father and we rushed over there. When we saw her, her body was still gasping for air, and even though the doctors assured me that she didn't feel anything, it was still horrible to watch.

I called my brother and two sisters, making sure that the first thing I mentioned was that she died in her sleep, because it would alleviate so much worry that she didn't die while being conscious of dying. Telling her the news that my mother had died was horrible. The shock and the cries were so intense, I didn't even recognize their voices anymore.

By the time I finished calling them, my mother had stopped gasping for air. My mother was always very tan from being outside all the time, even in the 4 months of us knowing that she had lung-cancer. But now, she had turned yellow. Even though I love my mother dearly, I could sense that what was lying in that bed wasn't my mother anymore.

While I don't really believe in an afterlife, I can be certain of two things: If there is no afterlife, Her suffering is now over, and she died how she wanted to die: in her sleep. If there is an afterlife, because she was such a warm, caring, selfless person, I'm sure she will get a nice cozy spot to live.

Thanks for reading this, I just needed to vent. It helps.

I'm listening to the shadow of the colossus soundtrack, and I find it soothing. Do you have a song you like to listen to when you've lost a loved one?
I'm really sorry to hear that your mother passed away. I know just how you feel, before you snap that I don't :) my mother died of lung cancer on the 31st of August this year. Her exact diagnosis was Small Cell Carcinoma, it's probably the most aggressive type of cancer you can get and she too died within 4 months.

Looking back it seems a huge shock how quick she died, yet at the time it felt like it would never end.

I'm so sorry she died when she did, I know you'll never think of Christmas the same because of it, just like I don't think of August 31st or September 1st the same either, I work in teaching so I'm not looking forward to the start of the new school year next year. It'll probably be on my mind all day.

You're probably feeling incredibly raw, I did the morning after. It never goes away and you'll never get over it, I used to foolishly say "I just want it to be over," before she died but later you realise it's never over, you'll always love them, you'll always care for them and you'll never stop missing them, but it get's better, with time it does.

As for music, I like to watch the music video Moving On by James when thinking of my mum. We played it at her funeral as everyone was leaving, be warned it'll tear you up.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Well... Shit..
I'm really sorry for your loss. Especially when Christmas is just around the corner and this is just.. the worst type of thing.

I really don't know what to say in occasions like this, other than you always have these forums to vent on and to cheer you up (Because come on, no one is going to say no cheering someone up!)

As for music, I'd would recommended listening to this but... Yea.. You might cry a bit.

The OST for FFXIII-2 (And FFXIII) is fucking beautiful, regardless if you like the game or not. I always felt that at least in the music department, Final Fantasy has always got it right.

Here's the song I was mentioning, I remember playing the game and just walking around for 15mins to listen to the song in-game.

Merry Christmas and I hope everything gets better.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. There are no words that will ever be able to comfort you in this time of loss. Living true to the person you knew can help. Music can as well. You will have to find the right tunes to spark the right memories. It's a constant search. Good luck.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ScorpionPrince said:
I don't know of songs to help make things a little less hard... but I will post a link to some things that brighten my day up considerably... hope they work for you as well...

http://www.dorkly.com/post/71370/15-photos-that-prove-baby-aquatic-mammals-best-mammals

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010

I finished this game the night my cat was hit by a car, and that's the first and only death I've ever experienced, so I sort of associate it with loss. Haven't played it since, despite its extensive aftergame, and the bosses I still have to beat. Won't forget this powerful track, though. It tugs at your heart strings and uses them as a violin.

Makes me feel kind of dumb, though, comparing the loss of my cat to your loss of your mother.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Logged in for the first time in a couple years just to give you my support. Be strong.

Listen to this and love your mother.

Bob Thenecromancer

Nov 10, 2012
With how depressing this has gotten I feel like I need to post something up beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaK-F8YHPJk

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I'm sorry to hear about this... the loss of a loved one is always incredibly difficult.. I just wish you and your family the best!

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Logged in for the first time in a couple years just to give you my support. Be strong.

Listen to this and love your mother.
Thank you very much, this kind of music is hard to find in the netherlands, I thought it was beautiful and I never would have found it without you.

Thank you for posting.

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
Bob Thenecromancer said:
With how depressing this has gotten I feel like I need to post something up beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaK-F8YHPJk
I've forgotten about Proleter! Thank you so much, the music is so nice to listen to, it really does lift your spirits.

Everyone, keep the music coming, I feel both the need to be moved and be melanchonic, as well as being cheered up, since that's what matches my normal upbeat personality.

While it's hard losing her at the age of 59, all of her children are pretty much adults (the youngest is 25). The lung cancer was diagnosed 4 months ago, and while the death was sudden, we did have time to prepare for death. I thought you couldn't possibly prepare for death, and while is still hurts like hell, knowing that her suffering is over really helps to feel some peace with her death. I thought I would collapse if she died, but i'm still standing. It's a bizarre state of things.

Everything about the funeral is now taken care of, except the speech that i'm writing, on christmas eve, deep in the night. listening to your song suggestions. Thank you everyone.