I leave for basic training on tuesday, any last minute advice?

jacobschndr

Aug 15, 2008
I am a member of the United States Coast Guard. Boot Camp/Basic training for me starts tuesday.
Anybody got any advice for me?

Im told basic is usually the same in every branch, save maybe one or two different excercises. so if anyones a former member orstill active your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

TangoOneSix

Jan 31, 2011
Second what LetalisK says.

Big thing to remember - you're part of a team. Don't be a spotlight ranger, aka making yourself look good when you're being observed and dragging ass everywhere else. Every one of your failures belongs to the whole team. Likewise, your triumphs are not your own, but your team's.

Don't fall asleep during fire guard.

Cheese packets in MRE's (we got MRE's in Army BCT, not sure if the same will happen in USCG but I can't imagine why it wouldn't) are your friend.

It's going to suck...embrace the suck! Have fun with it! You're going to graduate from this as a fully qualified USCG sailor. Your family, friends, significant others, etc will be proud.

Most importantly, this nation will be proud. Thank you for standing up to serve!

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
Basic sucks arse, one of the worst experiences in my life, get your mates to send mail, trust me, even if you don't like it now, you'll love getting mail.

LetalisK said:
Do what you're told, keep your head down, stay off the radar.
This aswell, be the gray man, don't become a known name.