I Like My Fighting F**ktoy's

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Pr0 said:
Heres the thing....WE don't have to live in that world. Its the world I choose to live in. You can live there too, so can anyone else. The world you live in is largely what you put in your own head anyways....actually biologically and neurologically that's 100% accurate.
What are you talking about?

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Richard Keohane said:
Pr0 said:
I just want to say I like my fighting fucktoy's. And I want to know why that's a bad thing.
I have always been of the opinion that it's okay to be offended by something. That's how you feel! No one has the right to tell you that you can't feel the way you honestly do. Women can get offended by "fighting fucktoys." I get it, it's totally understandable, I'm not mad that they're offended. That said, I'm not going to give up my "fighting fucktoys."

HOWEVER, there is a line where having one more "fighting fucktoy" crosses over into "man, the treatment of women in gaming is universally pretty shitty." And I think there's something to be said for having our toys, but sharing some with the ladies. Even just a few! It doesn't have to be all of them. Just a little lesson I learned back in kindergarten.
I share all my stuff with my fiancee. She appears to concur with my tastes on things. Doesn't mean that my taste might not be offensive to someone else and I respect that they have that opinion, it just seems like the strident call of social media is what I like is "wrong"...not offensive, not demeaning..but just flat out "wrong".

Thats largely why I finally wrote my op out of frustration. Not because someone complains that they find what I like offensive, but that its being mission creeped out of complaint and criticism and into demands for change to individual personal behavior and a demonization of sexual content in general.

In my view, games need a lot less stabbing people in the face and a lot more kissing....but thats just my opinion.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Pr0 said:
Heres the thing....WE don't have to live in that world. Its the world I choose to live in. You can live there too, so can anyone else. The world you live in is largely what you put in your own head anyways....actually biologically and neurologically that's 100% accurate.
Really, I can choose to live in a world where I'm not twelve times more likely to be murdered than the average citizen because I'm trans? And all I have to do to not be at higher of being a murder victim is wish it away? Wowee, I should've thought about that the last time a group of people tried me for being trans.
You can live in the world you chose to live in, sometimes this requires surrounding yourself with people that don't judge you for who you are. Personally I feel bad for you that you have to deal with what you deal with. I find transgender individuals to be beautiful in their own right...they're just trying to be who they really are.

In the world I live in, no, you wouldn't have to worry about those things. But I realize that peoples individual worlds are highly influenced by the local social environment they are living in.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
oreso said:
I hate puritanism and shaming too.

"This is lazy and dumb" is a different criticism to "This is sexist"

One is an aesthetic argument, one is a moral one.

You can say the former as much as you like, and I'll probably agree. You can say the latter as much as you like too, but I'll probably defend the people who like it because I don't like when folks who presume to preach about morality in videogames (probably, there's probably some genuine sexism in video games that I wouldn't defend).

I'm all for having the discussion either way though.

---

I would ask that folks please respect the OP's objection though. It's not an overreaction if very prominent critics and outlets are peddling this shaming and moralising language, and if the OP's objection doesn't apply to you then obviously it just don't apply to you; don't worry about it. It wasn't cool when the Christian right was doing it. It isn't cool now.

---

I would also even argue that throwing sexy and scantily clad folks into an otherwise normal warzone isn't always bad writing. I mean, I'm not saying Metal Gear Solid's writing is great, but the random non-sequiturs [http://youtu.be/IyekGFe04KI?t=3m5s] and nudity [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2ZW4boNqE] are very much part of the appeal. ^_^
Well, sexism is an ethical issue more than a moral one, by nature of it being a social phenomenon, but that's a bit of a nit-pick. There is sexist issue in games but I don't think it's an ethical one. I get a lot of strange looks when I say that, but not all issues of sexism are ethical ones. For instance, the treatment of female character models compared to male character models in a game might be sexist in that there is a pronounced, obvious difference in the way they are done. Even if we say that the treatment in this one example is sexist, that does not imply there is an ethical issue. Some do make that link, but I think those people are wrong. I'd argue that even if one can show there is sexism in the AAA market, it does not prove an ethical issue, it just proves the publishers are idiots for being blind to untapped markets.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
b.w.irenicus said:
It may just be my male way of thinkung (seriously, I once read an article about that), but to me, when someone says that something is a "problem" or "problematic", the term itself (to me at least) automaticially implies "a solution is needed for". And that implies wanting thoses things gone.
Too far!

Stairs are a problem for those in wheelchairs, but the solution isn't to abolish stairs and force all buildings to be single-story. The solution is to replace stairs with ramps where you can, and to use stairs alongside elevators in other places.

Similarly, the solution to oversexualized portrayals of women in video games isn't to completely abolish them, but to have less of them and counterbalance them with positive non-sexualized portrayals. Keep Bayonetta, clothe Cammy, make more like Chell.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
What happened to the world where you grew up? Probably they lied to you. They taught you to tolerate others, but not how to deal with intolerance and criticism. They protected you from the social problems in the outside world, and now you're facing the shock of meeting them.

That's probably why.

Welcome to my breakdown
I hope I didn't scare you
That's just the way we are when we come down!

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
"If you like your Fighting F**K Toy, you can keep it." :)

No. You are not automatically sexist if you prefer Samus in her zero suit. You are not automatically sexist if you download a nude mod or a sex mod.

You should have the right and expectation to be allowed to enjoy your entertainment however you like it without being labelled as anything.

And this is where the problem areas begin arising. There are people who *don't* like it that the identifiable female characters are dressed like prostitutes, proportioned like a teenager's sweaty fantasy, or are mewling, weak, and frail.

It's not that they're trying to take *your* toys; it's that they want *their* toys. And the fact that they have been so hard to find for so long is something they find problematic.

Skyrim is actually one of the better examples of making sure everyone can have their toys, actually. Most of the armor sets cover the same amount of body area regardless of gendered tailoring, but some certainly cover more than others (Looking at you, Foresworn).

In this fashion (even before mods), the amount of clothing your character has (regardless of gender) is pretty much dictated by the player. This is a win for everyone.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
theNater said:
b.w.irenicus said:
It may just be my male way of thinkung (seriously, I once read an article about that), but to me, when someone says that something is a "problem" or "problematic", the term itself (to me at least) automaticially implies "a solution is needed for". And that implies wanting thoses things gone.
Too far!

Stairs are a problem for those in wheelchairs, but the solution isn't to abolish stairs and force all buildings to be single-story. The solution is to replace stairs with ramps where you can, and to use stairs alongside elevators in other places.

Similarly, the solution to oversexualized portrayals of women in video games isn't to completely abolish them, but to have less of them and counterbalance them with positive non-sexualized portrayals. Keep Bayonetta, clothe Cammy, make more like Chell.
I like the way you put this, though clothe Cammy is going waaay too far friend! The solution is to have publishers realize there is an untapped, valuable market for games not like the ones being produced. They don't need to change established characters or stop producing what their current audience likes, but to expand into new, profitable directions. Unfortunately this industry is very risk-adverse, which squashes creativity. Indies are helping pick up the slack, but I want to see those ideas move into the AAA realm as well.

IN short, DOA Volleyball is fine and doesn't need to not exist, but Free! the game should exist as well. Not because it will counter balance DoA Volleyball, but because there is a market for Free! the game.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
Pr0 said:
TheKasp said:
Pr0 said:
TheKasp said:
No one gives a fuck if you like them. Do that. Good for you. Don't try and silence people who don't lile them.
I don't, what part of this post says I'm trying to silence anyone? The post says....hey we all like different stuff, as long as it makes us happy and it doesn't hurt anyone, thats alright...right?

You have an rather aggressive posture for someone with an MLP avatar.
No, you did not say that. And I should've been more clear that my answer was more general and way less directed at you.

Yes, as long as I'm free to critique the shit I'm passionate about in ways I'm interested in you're free to like whatever you want to like. Because I really don't see the connection between those two things. I can rip apart games, movies and series I like in many different ways.

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of this whole ordeal.
Everyone has a right to opinion and critique. I'm not saying you have to like what I like, or that you shouldn't say what I like isn't to your taste, all I'm saying is I feel like I'm wrong for liking what I like because of how all this stuff has gone. I've almost never looked at a social movement in the world and went "Wait...what?" like I have with this one.

Probably because this social movement is now personally affecting you.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
BigTuk said:
shootthebandit said:
I dont really think it promotes sexism or mysogony in the same way that GTA doesnt make you a mass murderer

Id also like to add that upon reading the title I though you were carrying out some sort of combat using dildos. Perhaps its worth a title change
I am so going to develop that game....Samurai Shodown but with hot chicks and dildos....

And no there is nothing wornga nd no it doesn't hurt realism. Look we're already in a mode of disbelieve suspension...might as well roll with it.
What's great about Skyrim is that both men and women can find armor that barely covers anything. For example certain varieties of fur armor and forsworn armor.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Fenrox Jackson said:
Pr0 said:
I grew up in a world where women are equal to men. I grew up in a world where gay relationships are completely normal. I grew up in a world where what made people happy was just fine as long as no one lost an eye.
No, no you didn't.
Don't tell me how my mother raised me. I'd appreciate that.

Just because the world is full of fucked up people doesn't mean some parents haven't done right with a few of us in all that.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
Gorrath said:
I like the way you put this, though clothe Cammy is going waaay too far friend!
I used Cammy as my example because of this comment from lacktheknack:
lacktheknack said:
Heck, even in Street Fighter, despite the fact that Cammy is my best fighter, I don't like using her, because her leotard is too annoying and distracting.
There's definitely room for give-and-take on the specifics; the idea is that Street Fighter maybe sexualizes a little more than is optimal given that it is about fighting, rather than about titillation.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
b.w.irenicus said:
It may just be my male way of thinkung (seriously, I once read an article about that), but to me, when someone says that something is a "problem" or "problematic", the term itself (to me at least) automaticially implies "a solution is needed for". And that implies wanting thoses things gone. With that I'm not ok.
And by saying that you are "not OK" with these things that other people say, you also automatically imply that you want to see that part of their messages gone.

That's just how criticism of others works.

When I say that too many survival horrors are made nowadays, I'm implying that some of them shouldn't have been made according to me.

When you say that the latest Zero Punctuation video's ending joke made you cringe, you are implying that you want that line gone.

Every time anyone says that a part of anyone else's self-expression was stupid/boring/problematic/illogical/arrogant/racist/grammatically incorrect/sinful/mean/fallacious/slanderous/homophobic/unscientific/silly/offensive/annoying/etc./etc./etc. they are basically expressing that they would prefer it gone, which is a most basic element of their own self-expression, and a fundamental part of how communication works.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I just don't like the term "fuck-toy" because it has negative connotations regarding the character's agency (to me, at least).

Other than that, I'm fine with sexualized male/female characters as long as it runs parallel to the tone and style of the work. My usual example for this is Shori from Eredan, as she balances badassery and sexiness to an interesting effect.
I could go into a bit more of a formal analysis about how her sexiness "works", but I won't unless someone wants me to.

That being said, I also appreciate it when a character is "sexy" for reasons other than to titillate the audience. For instance in the superhero serial Worm [www.parahumans.wordpress.com], when the costume of superheroine Miss Militia is said to "emphasize her curves" it isn't done to get a rise out of the reader but instead to provide an example of the sort of public appearance and persona official heroes in the Wormverse are required to display.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
theNater said:
Gorrath said:
I like the way you put this, though clothe Cammy is going waaay too far friend!
I used Cammy as my example because of this comment from lacktheknack:
lacktheknack said:
Heck, even in Street Fighter, despite the fact that Cammy is my best fighter, I don't like using her, because her leotard is too annoying and distracting.
There's definitely room for give-and-take on the specifics; the idea is that Street Fighter maybe sexualizes a little more than is optimal given that it is about fighting, rather than about titillation.
OOh I know, I just meant that as a tongue-in-cheek teasing. I do rather like Cammy's design, and it has everything to do with her rather ridiculous costume. I think everyone's mileage may vary.