I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Sober Thal said:
I'm taking my time playing ME 3, and being careful not to read about the ending. Sure I have read thread titles, and it sounds like the 'vocal gaming community' is pissing and moaning... but I bet the ending is okay. Hell, people liked the God of War games, so I am suspicious on the overall 'OMG we have been betrayed' feelings.

Also, to all of the people upset over the ending, I would suggest you never read the Dark Tower books by Stephen King.

I'll probably beat the game after people have lost their fury. Oh well, it sounded like a nice controversy... what little I have read about it.
Oh my god, I loved the end of The Dark Tower. Best twist ending ever.
I was actually expecting the room at the top of the tower to be empty, the door swings shut behind him, locking him in. But having to relive everything until he gets the journey right? I thought it was genius.

OT: Good! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just so long as you realize that my hatred of the ending is just as valid.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Honestly, I envy you. I don't hate Mass Effect 3 at all, and even after the ending, I wasn't mad at the game, just disappointed in it. It just felt like such a lazy way to end such a story-driven experience, one that didn't reflect the series in any way, and one which especially doesn't reflect the quality people have come to expect from Bioware.

In the end, I had to remind myself of the old saying "sometimes the journey is more important than the destination," and even though I disliked Mass Effect 3's ending, I still had a lot of fun playing it. And at least some of us like the ending.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I didn't hate the ending.

I nothing it. And that's why I'm so frustrated. It's like BioWare flashing up in my face "YOU SHOULD LIKE THIS, THIS IS EMOTIONAL DRAMATIC STUFFZ!" and I'm like..."Well...No."

I'm glad you like the ending. Some people like the Twilight things *shrugs* It's okiie to be wrong. ;)

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
wintercoat said:
Sober Thal said:
I'm taking my time playing ME 3, and being careful not to read about the ending. Sure I have read thread titles, and it sounds like the 'vocal gaming community' is pissing and moaning... but I bet the ending is okay. Hell, people liked the God of War games, so I am suspicious on the overall 'OMG we have been betrayed' feelings.

Also, to all of the people upset over the ending, I would suggest you never read the Dark Tower books by Stephen King.

I'll probably beat the game after people have lost their fury. Oh well, it sounded like a nice controversy... what little I have read about it.
Oh my god, I loved the end of The Dark Tower. Best twist ending ever.
I was actually expecting the room at the top of the tower to be empty, the door swings shut behind him, locking him in. But having to relive everything until he gets the journey right? I thought it was genius.

OT: Good! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just so long as you realize that my hatred of the ending is just as valid.
I only read the first Dark Tower book (it got too Christian preachy) but it had a sense of hopelessness expressed in the books so I would expect a sad end in it and even if there wasn't a twist done well would be good.
The problem with ME3's ending is the previous games we've been fighting to bring hope to the galaxy. through each game the threat has escalated from 1 repaer to another that abducts humans to create another reaper than finally the invasion.
The 1st 2 games the threat was beaten back and in the 2nd game your Shepard could have died, and in some of my play throughs he did, and their was no public outcry over that. Finally in the last game people have done a lot to get the entire galactic population to fight against the threat and then at the very end it is a big f**k you, your resources and military strength mean nothing, now these are your choices a, b or c.

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
I liked the ending, too. I really liked the three games.
I find it especially funny how many people get worked up about it. AND i ike MovieBobs opinion about these people.

Like. :)

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
JackandTom said:
endtherapture said:
JackandTom said:
This thread is not original or creative but I want people to know.

I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3.

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "Parapgon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?
The control is the most

What was the paragon ending? Control? Definitely didn't seem the Paragon one, I thought destroy was the right option personally. Controlling the Reapers against their free will is something a paragon Shepard would definitely not do, in fact he's just agreeing with TIM so is a very renegade type character.

Anyway I've spoken to one person who likes it. That's it. He didn't say why.
I assumed the Control option was the paragon option because it had a blue light around the machine you have to walk up to and the whole ending cut scene had a blue vibe going as opposed to the red one that the Destroy choice had. I also thought it was paragon because it was on the players left, the same as the paragon trigger (LT). I agree with the fact that it didn't seem very paragon when you saw that it was what the illusive man wanted, but I guess this is just another reason that the majority of people don't like the ending.
Wow, i would say the control ending is hands down the least paragon ending possible. I mean you just became the most evil force in the universe and wind up killing all organic like by you own hands... or what ever a reaper will call it's hands

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again,I have great respect for the geth.Shepard united them with the quarians and everyone's happy,since that moment the game couldn't engross,immerse or grab me like it did before.Besides the ridiculous logic of the out-of-nowhere star child also boggled my mind,so was like "WTF is this shite" and really got under my skin since I dedicated a lot of time to this experience just to be diminished by the last 10 minutes.

But I'm not upset since the 2nd day after i finished the game.I followed all the news here on the Escapist,the PR talk,the general opinions,the movements and theories I followed to a minimal degree,I was just on the side watching apathetically.

But when I start thinking about it in a philosophical manner this entire thing seems quite fascinating,because of the scale,effort and the dedication put in by people.What have BioWare created?

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
TheCaptain said:
With me, it's more disappointment than anger. I admit a good helping of kinda fanboyish tendencies there, but the games themselves got me so excited that the ending just felt like a huge downer. And while I didn't like the ending - the way the whole tone of the story just turned into something completely different - I could've lived with it if it was better executed. More personalized. Like, for example:

Shepard being less accepting of the choices presented to him, trying to outsmrt the catalyst or at least try and find a workaround. Probably a little sadistic choice, like taking the time for getting a warning out of the fleet (at the cost of a larger part of the fleet); calling up Joker and either ordering him to get the Normandy out of there or calling him for a pickup.

And having your choices reflected in the ending sequence, like:

Showing the people you were closest to in the flashbacks, like probably the Virmire victim, the love interests and so on. Showing the people of earth starting to rebuild, probably a military service among the ruins for Anderson (and Shepard, if he died); if the better part of the Crucible team survived, you could show them starting to gather the debris and working on rebuilding the relays (which has been talked about since ME1, if I recall correct). If Sword didn't take too many casualties, you could - depending on your choices over the game - show the Geth helping to rebuild, the Quarians sharing rations with the Turians and helping convert military vessels into liveships to help the other races survive being stranded in the Sol system.
Even if the ending would remain exactly the same, I wouldn't have been nearly as disappointed that by bringing all those different people together, you helped them achieve a level of cooperation that allowed them to defeat the mess they ended up in.

-EDIT-

That said, if you liked the ending as it was, don't let us keep you from enjoying it. You probably have the best Mass Effect experience of all of us, that's something.
I would have been happy even if they just ended it like dragon age one and had a paragraph on how various situations turned out after the end.

And if you do want a different ending IGN is saying that it will be comming soon.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/21/mass-effect-3-a-dangerous-precedent

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Even though the Catalyst/AI/kid thing was a bit odd, I loved everything upto and including my Shepherd's sacrifce by destroying the Reaper console and blowing himself up: everything after that made no sense in a "Huh....kinda of disapointing that there's no proper closure" way, rather then in a "I'm going to sue someone over this shit" way.

Plus it seemed strange my love interest was absent from the montage of familar faces as Shepherd died.....

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
How?

Just... how?

You liked the glowing space child? You liked the killing-organics-to-prevent-them-being-killed explanation? You liked the vague and unjustified explanations of your final choices? You liked the near-identical endings regardless of choice? You liked the complete lack of closure regarding the characters and races?

How does one come to like these things?
Maybe because different people like different things, maybe?

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
You have every right to agree with the endings, I for one feel that the themes of the series were completely betrayed, these being Free will, Love, Camaraderie, Racism and the rights of synthetic intelligence.

That and the Marketing LIED and it was plagiarised from Deus Ex

You have a right to an opinion sir, just as i have a right to disagree... AND DEMAND MY BLUE BABIES!

Yes, i know it undermines my point, IDC, I was promised closure. *See Critical Miss*

Oh, but the ending UP to starchild, i was like "Shit, is Shepard going to die!?! Do i have enough EMS!?!" I was on the edge of my seat, then the star child came... "WTF IS THIS SHIT!?!"

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
I love all ME games a lot. I think ME3 was wonderful, but I have to say I was disappointed. I don't necessarily want a happy ending - self sacrifice done right can be powerful and emotional. I was just disappointed because the level of writing had been so good up to that point (Mordin Solus' story arch, for example).

I also find it funny how some people go on about how 'art' shouldn't be changed because of demands from the audience. Well, this happens *all the time* in cinema - endings can change dramatically because of preview audience's complaints...

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
JackandTom said:

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?
You didn't see the bajillion plotholes and didn't think the decisions were underexplained?

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
If you liked the ending, then you hate Marauder Shields.

He died for you, and this is how you repay him?
RIP Marauder Shields, he died trying to save us from an abysmal conclusion.

Beware, Zeel is coming!!!

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Goofguy said:
The only way I found myself to be content with the ending is if it based on the indoctrination theory that's floating around.

And even then, the disputed 'canon' ending to the series has Shepard still buried under rubble in London so yeah, no resolution to the Reaper threat
Well presumably if you beat the indoctrination then Shepard gets up and does it for real. If not then game over, try again in another 50,000 years.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
JackandTom said:

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.
Oh, yes, of course. The paragon ending...

...remind me, which one was the paragon ending? Was it the one where you set off a dozen planet-destroying supernovas and decapitated the governments of all the major powers in the galaxy? Because you did that in all of the endings.

JackandTom said:
Look at it this way, man: more people hating the ending isn't the same as the level of hatred escalating. It's the difference between a movement gaining many more supporters versus having the same number of supporters with increasingly radical methods of advancing their agenda.

JackandTom said:
Which parts of the ending did you like, specifically? Or in other words, how was it that the ending appealed to you? I'm asking sincerely, and I wouldn't mind discussing it.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Sexy Devil said:
Goofguy said:
The only way I found myself to be content with the ending is if it based on the indoctrination theory that's floating around.

And even then, the disputed 'canon' ending to the series has Shepard still buried under rubble in London so yeah, no resolution to the Reaper threat
Well presumably if you beat the indoctrination then Shepard gets up and does it for real. If not then game over, try again in another 50,000 years.
Hahaha 'presumably'. Yup, it's a decent assumption but it's kind of lame that that's all it is.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if the cut scene after the credits are the same regardless of choice at the end?